Sign in to follow this  
NeilC

PAPIs showing through clouds

I don't know if this is specifically a VR problem, but the PAPIs seem to be really bright (like big balls of light) and today, whilst approaching in IFR (in lovely thick Active Sky cloud), it was rather spoiled by being able to see the PAPIs whilst still in the cloud.

Is there any way of stopping the PAPIs showing until you pop out of the cloud base?

beta.gif

You might (if not already) bring this up in the LM forum, it probably is a VR support problem. You might try clearing the shader cache, just for niggles. It might work.

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-10700F CPU @ 2.90GHz (8 cores) Hyper on, Evga RTX 3060 12 Gig, 32 GB ram, Windows 11, P3D v6, and MSFS 2020 and a couple of SSD's

I don't use VR and get this too sometimes.

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

If I remember correctly we had this issue when we recorded the Q400 First Officer Training Program. One of the exercises was a CATII  approach into Liverpool with a go around due to not being visual but we had the problem of the add-on airport PAPI lights shining through the mist, even with 0/0 weather. We solved it by disabling the scenery for the first approach and then enabling it for the actual landing. It appears that the default PAPIs don’t shine through. Not that it helps you in this situation, but I believe that the issue is not one that’s fixable unless by LM. 

Edited by Airline2Sim

airline2sim_pilot_logo_360x.png?v=160882| Ben Weston www.airline2sim.com 

Thanks for the replies. It was flying into EKVG (addon airport). 

The Papis seem to be far to bright and large (like giant orbs) at most airports I fly into (although 99% of them are 3rd party airports)

beta.gif

One of the many things weird about FSX/P3D's cloud and fog depiction...

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471