Sign in to follow this  
BelgianTiger_2

So many upgrade choices...

Hello gents,

i'm seeking some advice for an upgrade i'm planning.

My current setup:

P8Z77-LX2 with an i7 3770k clocked at 4.5Ghz.8Gb of DDR3 1600Mhz RAM.600W power supply and a GTX1070.

I think the MB,CPU and RAM are out of date and need replacing.But there are so many choices and i can't decide which path to go.

here are the 2 main choices i have:

i7 8700K with the Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X coupled with 16Gb Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz

or

i7 9700K with the Aoros Z390 Pro and the same RAM.

I'm leaning towards the i7 9700k as it may be more future proof and that's what i need as my current setup reaches the 7year old mark.But after reading some reviews,the i7 8700k seems to be a more price/value product.So i'm reaching out to you all to make this decision a bit easier.

On a second note,if you have any other suggestions regarding the motherboard or RAM (in the same price range preferable),please share :).

Regards,

Steven

Steven Ghion

Belgian Virtual Tigers

tiger1m.jpg

18 minutes ago, BelgianTiger_2 said:

Hello gents,

i'm seeking some advice for an upgrade i'm planning.

My current setup:

P8Z77-LX2 with an i7 3770k clocked at 4.5Ghz.8Gb of DDR3 1600Mhz RAM.600W power supply and a GTX1070.

I think the MB,CPU and RAM are out of date and need replacing.But there are so many choices and i can't decide which path to go.

here are the 2 main choices i have:

i7 8700K with the Gigabyte Z390 Gaming X coupled with 16Gb Corsair Vengance LPX 3200Mhz

or

i7 9700K with the Aoros Z390 Pro and the same RAM.

I'm leaning towards the i7 9700k as it may be more future proof and that's what i need as my current setup reaches the 7year old mark.But after reading some reviews,the i7 8700k seems to be a more price/value product.So i'm reaching out to you all to make this decision a bit easier.

On a second note,if you have any other suggestions regarding the motherboard or RAM (in the same price range preferable),please share :).

Regards,

Steven

9700K hands down.  9600K for a value pick.  RAM looks good.  Consider 32GB if a Xplane user.

Matt Wilson

If you run a lot of additional add-ons in the background the number of cores can come into play. I custom built an unfashionable i7-6900 and run it at BIOS auto overclock. I don't get fps over a 100 but DO get ultra smooth 24 and up most of the time and at slowest 15 in a busy airport but once again that's very smooth and never interferes with the flying. I also like to do real work on the 2nd monitor while cruising. This is definitely more of a workstation than a gaming machine but like I said it chews up and spits out all the add-ons I throw at it. 

Edited by sloppysmusic

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

51 minutes ago, sloppysmusic said:

If you run a lot of additional add-ons in the background the number of cores can come into play. I custom built an unfashionable i7-6900 and run it at BIOS auto overclock. I don't get fps over a 100 but DO get ultra smooth 24 and up most of the time and at slowest 15 in a busy airport but once again that's very smooth and never interferes with the flying. I also like to do real work on the 2nd monitor while cruising. This is definitely more of a workstation than a gaming machine but like I said it chews up and spits out all the add-ons I throw at it. 

That's what i do also.Do some work/watch some videos while cruizing so i think i will go with the i7 9700k.

So there remains the choice for a motherboard.Basicly my only requirements are that i have at least 6USB ports at the back(for my flightsim hardware) and that i can plug in 3200mhz memory sticks.Preferably also 6 SATA ports for drives.

Will the Gigabyte Gaming X do the job or are there other options to check?

Regards

Steven Ghion

Belgian Virtual Tigers

tiger1m.jpg