Sign in to follow this  
FoxMulder1982

New PC for P3D - 9900k - RAM question

2 hours ago, FoxMulder1982 said:

🙂

as usual, I have additional question 🙂

I have read on some overclockers forum that if CPU and MOBO are only dual-chanel it is better to buy only 2 memory modules instead of 4 because it there is higher probability that 2 module setup will work better.

Based on your experience, can you confirm it?

I think the rule of thumb for best performance these days is to populate all four slots with a 4 stick kit, ie. 4x8GB (32gb) for example.  But you can buy and happily use a two stick kit.

3 hours ago, FunknNasty said:

I think the rule of thumb for best performance these days is to populate all four slots with a 4 stick kit, ie. 4x8GB (32gb) for example.  But you can buy and happily use a two stick kit.

That's exactly the opposite of both my experience and what I'd characterize as the long-standing conventional wisdom.

The higher the number of devices (DIMM modules), the more variability you introduce, the higher the current load on the IMC, and the more possibility that the timing ranges on all the devices won't have enough overlap to find a common set of timings where they all will run reliably (at least not anywhere near the rated overclocked speed).  I've never seen a manufacturer with a top-end 4-DIMM set that was as fast as the same manufacturer's 2-DIMM matched set using the same ICs.

Most manufacturers will tell you not to try and combine two 2-DIMM sets to make a 4-DIMM set...and if you do, don't expect it to run at its advertised (overclocked) settings.

Regards

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

2 hours ago, w6kd said:

That's exactly the opposite of both my experience and what I'd characterize as the long-standing conventional wisdom.

The higher the number of devices (DIMM modules), the more variability you introduce, the higher the current load on the IMC, and the more possibility that the timing ranges on all the devices won't have enough overlap to find a common set of timings where they all will run reliably (at least not anywhere near the rated overclocked speed).  I've never seen a manufacturer with a top-end 4-DIMM set that was as fast as the same manufacturer's 2-DIMM matched set using the same ICs.

Most manufacturers will tell you not to try and combine two 2-DIMM sets to make a 4-DIMM set...and if you do, don't expect it to run at its advertised (overclocked) settings.

Regards

Not the pros at Asus. I believe the OP is/or going to use a Maximums XI Formula .....do yourself a favor and look it up over at the Rog forum.

......and I'll refrain from ever making a hardware recommendation on these forums again.

Think i have this up before, its pefectly fine to do your own matching mem modules.

example, its one slot that read the xmp take one stick 3200 c14 and second 3600 c15 start the pc enable xmp it read 3200 c14 then shut down and swap the place of the mems start pc enable xmp it read 3600 c15.

give you an example on my X299 system i have 32gb 4X8gb 2sticks 3600 c15 and 2sticks 3600 c16 tested them and burn two new xmp tables on all 4 sticks one 4000 c16 and second  4133 c16 ( for Z370-390).

binning mems how its done, buy lot of differnt samsung b die for examle 10 kits 3200 10 kits 3600 3kits 4266 then test the modules on by one pick the best 4 sticks then burn yor own xmp ex 4133 c15 this set can be two 3200 one 3600 one 4266.

In short term if you have samsung B-die with the same type of pcb you can place them whatever you want the only thing that matters is the quality of the weakest chip on the memory module.

The Latency calc cl x 2000 / ramspeed is only tumb of rule not really accurate we all now that Comand rate 1 vs 2 do a big difference and its more timings that counts sub end tetra for example and even the latency in the IMC

Edited by westman

8 hours ago, fghdgdfdfgfgf said:

......and I'll refrain from ever making a hardware recommendation on these forums again.

Why?  Just because someone might respectfully present experiences or opinions that differ from yours?

The last thing we need here is to become an echo chamber.

Regards

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

9 hours ago, westman said:

binning mems how its done, buy lot of differnt samsung b die for examle 10 kits 3200 10 kits 3600 3kits 4266 then test the modules on by one pick the best 4 sticks then burn yor own xmp ex 4133 c15 this set can be two 3200 one 3600 one 4266.

In short term if you have samsung B-die with the same type of pcb you can place them whatever you want the only thing that matters is the quality of the weakest chip on the memory module.

The Latency calc cl x 2000 / ramspeed is only tumb of rule not really accurate we all now that Comand rate 1 vs 2 do a big difference and its more timings that counts sub end tetra for example and even the latency in the IMC

I'm certain that if one has the ability to sort through a workbench full of motherboards, CPUs, and memory DIMMs, that a lot of magic can be worked by binning and matching and tweaking the best of each.  But for the average system builder that will order parts from an online supplier or buy them at a retail store without the resources/ability to pick and choose, I think it's still better to improve your odds of a good memory overclock by sticking to a factory-matched two-DIMM solution with true latency as a metric for expected performance.

Sure, the true latency approximation is a rule of thumb, but it's a good one for the average builder.  IMC latency will be the same no matter what DIMM you choose if your target system for either is the same mobo+CPU, command rate rarely comes into play with memory overclocks at high memory clock frequencies, and most people are not going to mess with sub-timings at all due to the time required and the significant in-depth knowledge needed to tweak them.

If one is not a competitive benchmarker or a professional system-builder, then a lot of the techniques that you describe to build a cutting-edge system would be out of reach.  The average Joe (or Jill) just wants to get their sim running as well as possible within the range of variability of parts procured through a normal retail sale.

Cheers

19 minutes ago, w6kd said:

I'm certain that if one has the ability to sort through a workbench full of motherboards, CPUs, and memory DIMMs, that a lot of magic can be worked by binning and matching and tweaking the best of each.  But for the average system builder that will order parts from an online supplier or buy them at a retail store without the resources/ability to pick and choose, I think it's still better to improve your odds of a good memory overclock by sticking to a factory-matched two-DIMM solution with true latency as a metric for expected performance.

Sure, the true latency approximation is a rule of thumb, but it's a good one for the average builder.  IMC latency will be the same no matter what DIMM you choose if your target system for either is the same mobo+CPU, command rate rarely comes into play with memory overclocks at high memory clock frequencies, and most people are not going to mess with sub-timings at all due to the time required and the significant in-depth knowledge needed to tweak them.

If one is not a competitive benchmarker or a professional system-builder, then a lot of the techniques that you describe to build a cutting-edge system would be out of reach.  The average Joe (or Jill) just wants to get their sim running as well as possible within the range of variability of parts procured through a normal retail sale.

Cheers

Sorry, Bob  i agree with Ken in this , i only tried to explain how it works , but the moderator here seems bash out things that was from the past.

your own words: That's exactly the opposite of both my experience and what I'd characterize as the long-standing conventional wisdom.

Thanks

37 minutes ago, westman said:

Sorry, Bob  i agree with Ken in this , i only tried to explain how it works , but the moderator here seems bash out things that was from the past.

Sorry, but this is not making sense.  No idea who "Ken" is.  And there has been no moderation activity in this thread.  None.

Edit:  OK, Ken, aka "fghdgdfdfgfgf" aka "FunknNasty"