Sign in to follow this  
Scott Miller

Real Weather still working?

Its been a REALLY long time since I did any flying on FS2004.  When I finally went to create a new flight I got an "Error occurred while downloading Real Weather.  Please check your Internet connection and configuration and try again." So the question is, is my fs2004 installation corrupted (everything else seems to be working ok) or is FS2004 real weather no longer supported (what about Active Sky for FS2004)?

Edited by Scott Miller
additional info added

I run Active Sky Evolution for FS9 Scott and it works fine.  I seriously doubt Microsoft is still running the server for FS9 WX, but over the years it has gone down from time to time. Maybe give it a few days and check again.

Lee Adams

JAFO

The in-built weather has given that message for a while now, many threads on it across the net. It's been unreliable for years and certainly no fixes will be coming. Active Sky Evolution still works but is no longer on the market. Unless you already own it, you can't buy it and use it.

Use either:

Free weather: https://www.fsrealwx.net/

Pay weather: https://www.pilots.shop/cms/Ui/Pages/Products/MainPage.aspx?id=253b8b5c-0a91-4935-8d01-b3c70aee6034

Edited by Skywatcher

Mark Daniels

The second one is good.

nebojsa

Just fired up my ancient copy of Active Sky 6 which still seams to be fully functional (thank goodness!).  For nostalgia's sake I'll try, as Clipper suggests, FS's real weather from time to time to see it it springs back to life... 

3 hours ago, Scott Miller said:

Just fired up my ancient copy of Active Sky 6 which still seams to be fully functional (thank goodness!).  For nostalgia's sake I'll try, as Clipper suggests, FS's real weather from time to time to see it it springs back to life... 

From all reports AS6 died quite a while ago.

Mark Daniels

Well, I think the reports of AS6's demise are inaccurate.  It appears to be fully functional to me.

59 minutes ago, Scott Miller said:

Well, I think the reports of AS6's demise are inaccurate.  It appears to be fully functional to me.

List of end-of-life products

The following products have reached end-of-life and are no longer officially supported:

Active Sky v1 (2002)
Active Sky wxRE (2002)
Active Sky 2004 (2004)
Active Sky 2004.5 (2005)
Active Sky V (2005)
Active Sky v6 (2006)
Active Sky v6.5 (2006)
Active Sky X (2007)
XGraphics (2007)
Active Sky Advanced (2008)

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

4 hours ago, Scott Miller said:

Hi

I recommend getting FSGRW for weather now https://www.pilots.shop/Cms/Ui/Pages/Products/MainPage.aspx?id=253b8b5c-0a91-4935-8d01-b3c70aee6034

For AS6.5 It has not worked for quite a long time I was using it until it stopped. I found it will load weather BUT it is not the current weather, so it seems that it still works when you load it up and start flying. The only reason I found out was I kept having the exact same weather when loading.

See the quote from the actual developer in this thread from when I asked about it https://www.avsim.com/forums/topic/522187-active-sky-65-dead/

10/18/2017 at 9:21 PM, Damian Clark said:

Hello all,

To clarify any misunderstandings:  AS6.5 is very old and the data it uses is no longer available.  The network and server software/technologies designed for it, and the software itself would need a redesign in several areas that is not within our capability.  If we could provide the data, we would.

ASE was discontinued for several reasons, this is also an old product that was kept available for some time to continue to provide an FS9 solution, but we could not support FS9 and FSUIPC interface indefinitely while also developing for all the new platforms and demands of our users with a VERY small development and support team.

Typically we discontinue products (no longer sell them) after about 5-8 years from release.  We have no plans to stop providing ASE data.  We provided AS6.5 data for many years after it was discontinued, and only stopped because the data is no longer available as explained.  With that said, we cannot officially guarantee unlimited indefinite access to discontinued products.  The data ASE uses may become unavailable, beyond our control, at some point, and we would not be able to assign resources to redesign fundamental core data components for such an old product.  But we don't see that happening any time soon.

We have always provided many free updates for all product versions, many new features, constant maintenance and support, and in some cases free upgrades to brand new versions.  We've also provided significant discounts and promotional opportunities along the way.  After AS6.5 there was ASX, ASA, offered at significant discounts to AS6.5 users, and ASE was provided as a free upgrade to ASA users.  We strive to provide tremendous value to our customers, and I think our history has proven that. 

If anyone would like to contact me for further discussion please feel free to open a ticket at http://support.hifitechinc.com.  Thanks everyone.

Real weather works for my REX2004 OD sp5 version.

I had been away from flight simulation for some years, and when I recently fired up my then REX2004 with sp4 it wouldn’t work. Updating however did the trick.

BR,

Anders