Sign in to follow this  
Ray Proudfoot

Viable alternative to expensive throttle quadrants?

19 minutes ago, GHarrall said:

Good points.

I suppose the GoFlight stuff kind of sits in between but I have heard not so great things about the gear from them.

Personally, I have switched most of my controls to using the Warthog and for airliner ops I also have a CH Throttle Quadrant. Its a bit cheap looking but its surprisingly good in terms of the levers etc. Not what you are looking for though I think. I had some similar dilemmas a while back. It is crazy how it goes from really cheap consumer stuff to immediately being crazy expensive.

There is this one too which is still blind but at least the price is better:

https://www.fsxthrottle.com/?page_id=481

We posted the same time. There is a safety net with FSXthrotlles as the owner promises lifetime warranty no questioned asked returns. 

and this also

"If you’re not happy with our quadrant, we’ll gladly take it back and refund your full purchase price less $25.00, which covers our initial shipping fees."

ZORAN

28 minutes ago, zmak said:

There is a safety net with FSXthrotlles as the owner promises lifetime warranty no questioned asked returns. 

and this also

"If you’re not happy with our quadrant, we’ll gladly take it back and refund your full purchase price less $25.00, which covers our initial shipping fees."

Of course, the big problem with this sort of promise is that "lifetime" in this context generally means as long as the owner, whose identity and location remain anonymous and hidden behind a small company website, remains in the business.

Regards

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

5 minutes ago, w6kd said:

Of course, the big problem with this sort of promise is that "lifetime" in this context generally means as long as the owner, whose identity and location remain anonymous and hidden behind a small company website, remains in the business.

Regards

I bought from him about 7 years ago so he has been around but of course he could kick the bucket at any time. He sent me vids during stages when he was building it. Good guy, straight shooter. Unfortunately I didn't even have a chance to plug the throttle in when it arrived due to a sudden real life situation meant no simming and sold everything off but the build was good, felt solid and the throttle was huge!

ZORAN

39 minutes ago, zmak said:

I bought from him about 7 years ago so he has been around but of course he could kick the bucket at any time. He sent me vids during stages when he was building it. Good guy, straight shooter. Unfortunately I didn't even have a chance to plug the throttle in when it arrived due to a sudden real life situation meant no simming and sold everything off but the build was good, felt solid and the throttle was huge!

I don't mean to impugn FSXThrottle or their products, but my radar comes up when I click on the "contact" link and all I get is a web form, and there is no address, phone or other contact info listed anywhere on the site.

The dearth of throttle quad options has always been something of an unscratchable itch in the sim universe.  I have had a PFC floor-mounted yoke, throttle quad, and rudder set for 17 years now (??!), and in the first 8-9 years I probably replaced every pot in the system several times as they eventually started to wear and throw spikes.  Mechanically, the PFC controls are super-sturdy and precise, so I finally declared "enough!" and engineered a custom conversion to Hall Effect sensors that has required no maintenance intervention ever since.  It was a really interesting, but complex project that I'd not care to repeat if I can help it.  I see that PFC has finally seen the light and they offer their control yokes with a Hall sensor option, but their throttle quads appear to still use the same troublesome 100 ohm linear pots of the type found in my 17-year old quadrant.  Those pots are a real pain, because not only do they wear out with some regularity, they are soldered in place and require a fair bit of work and at least basic electrical construction skills and tools to replace.

I'll never again even look at another potentiometer-based throttle unit.  The Thrustmaster Warthog uses Hall sensors in its throttle unit, but alas, it's only a 2-axis unit.  The T.16000M uses HE sensors in its pitch/roll/yaw axes, but a pot in its (single) throttle axis.  The TQ6 uses Hall sensors, but its physical lever arrangement precludes use with a 3-4 engine acft or an aircraft that needs reverser, spoiler, or flap axis controls.  I'm not aware of other throttle quads that use Hall sensors, even the expensive ones discussed upthread, and that's a real shame.

Regards

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Non Hall effect Pots,Problems....

Edited by BIGSKY

Jim Driscoll, MSI Raider GE76 12UHS-607 17.3" Gaming Laptop Computer - Blue Intel Core i9 12th Gen 12900HK 1.8GHz Processor; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti 16GB GDDR6; 64GB DDR5-4800 RAM; Dual M2 2TB Solid State Drives.Driving a Sony KD-50X75, and KDL-48R470B @ 4k 3724x2094,MSFS 2020, 30 FPS on Ultra Settings.

Jorg/Asobo: “Weather is a core part of our simulator, and we will strive to make it as accurate as possible.”Also Jorg/Asobo: “We are going to limit the weather API to rain intensity only.”

Glenn & Zoran, thanks for your posts and recommendations. I had looked at them before and was amused by all the extras such as painting. So few of these companies attend flight sim shows in Europe. I might write to them and ask if they will attend Cosford. I can hold on until then and it will help enormously in making a decision.

Disappointed at GoFlight. Excellent modules but there's too much lateral play in the throttle levers. I've handled them and wouldn't pay the price they ask.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Cosford now a 2 day event may get more devs interested.

• Like 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

Ray,

Sounds like you've decided not to get that piece of vinyl they call a quadrant box. Good choice! I bought one some years ago, mounted everything and took a flight or two. Ripped it back out and eventually tossed it. That's my quick and dirty review. Maybe they've improved it, but I really disliked that thing. 

On to the V-Fly TQ6. A superb product and yes, the thing is somewhat awkward when mounted horizontally. I modified an old GoFlight Captain's deck for mounting it, which came out pretty nice. I'm going to build a quadrant box (wood) for rotating it up 45 degrees or so. Just saying, if you're handy with wood and/or metal, a custom quadrant box can take care of that issue.

cheers,

Greg

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

Greg,

No, I haven’t ruled it out simply because it looks like it will hold two quadrants and the levers are then in a far more comfortable position. If there is any slippage then either  Blu-tak, Velcro or double-sided tape will fix that.

What specifically didn’t you like about it? Looks surely not an issue. It’s just a container. I’m not getting those fancy replacement Boeing levers. If you have to modify (irreversible) the original levers then no way am I touching those. But the box seems a low-risk option so the levers are in a comfortable position.

• Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I'm working with getting fsxthrottle guy and you can get halls. They do basically anything you want.  The only issue I have is it's wood but I'm at my wits end with my two saitek quadrants.  And yes I bought the cheap plastic box to put then together..... I've had a very good experience so far with fsxthrottle 

@Genbrad, please ask him to come to RAF Cosford in October for the annual show orgainsed by JustFlight. Hall-effect is welcome and I consider it essential when these units cost so much.

Of all the quadrants I've looked at this one has the most appeal. https://www.flightsimpm.com/web-store/Boeing-777-Throttle-p76915817

No hall-effect sensors but they did say in a reply they use quality pots. I'll ask if they're interested in showing their kit at Cosford.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

4 minutes ago, Genbrad said:

He's based in Oregon USA and does it as a hobby so I seriously doubt he'll attend

The quadrants do have a unique look. Not sure I like their appearance but thanks for the info.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

1 hour ago, Chocorua said:

Ray,

On to the V-Fly TQ6. A superb product and yes, the thing is somewhat awkward when mounted horizontally. I modified an old GoFlight Captain's deck for mounting it, which came out pretty nice. I'm going to build a quadrant box (wood) for rotating it up 45 degrees or so. Just saying, if you're handy with wood and/or metal, a custom quadrant box can take care of that issue.

I did find it frustrating when I wrote to them that they wouldn't consider a Boeing-style quadrant. They cited machine costs as the reason but when all that is needed is a reshaping on the top cover and modifying the levers I don't understand.

I'm hopeless at DIY which is why I look for finished products. Post some pics when you've got the box sorted for the TQ6.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather