Sign in to follow this  
mypupdaisy

What are you currently flying?

I mainly fly planes that I think, if I ever did fly, this is what I would want to own and would fly. I see a lotof people talking about airliners. What do most of you fly "most" of the time. Mainly big birds, or general aviation? Do you use ATC at all, you use the FSX built-in ATC or do you use live ATC (VATSIM, etc). How many of you fly as close to real life as possible and if so, what do you do to make it as so. Please indicate if you actually have a pilot's license (real one, not virtual wink-wink LOL).

Myself, I am currently flying touch-n-goes in a Carenado Cessna C182 and casual flying in a Carenado DA62. I fly as close to what I think is possible. I am not a pilot. Would love to be one, but will never have the $$ for lessons or ownership. I use the FSX ATC. Never used live ATC (VATSIM, etc) for the simple fact I speed up my flights between locations... I have Wife/family agro... I can't just get up and walk away or pause when flying with live ATC.

Thanks

Edited by mypupdaisy

General aviation for me. Still FSX.  I pick which aircraft for a flight based on the circumstances. Distance and hypothetical fuel costs. Single engine models like the A2A Cessna 182 for shorter $100 Hamburger runs.  Realair Turbine Duke v2 when flying long distance high and fast.  Milviz Cessna 310R or BE55 Baron when flying lower altitude medium and long distance with fuel savings, or when flying distance at lower altitudes when needed to avoid severe head winds at higher altitudes.  Carenado Cessna 210 or 337 when looking for some speed and good visibility of ground, for sightseeing trips.

• Like 1

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I'm drawn to smaller GA "bush" planes and helicopters, because those were the kinds of planes I'd hire in a former career as an editorial and advertising photographer. I spent a lot of time when I was younger in small Cessnas and Bell Jet Rangers with the door off. I also love the vintage radial-engine planes like the DC-3, DHC-2 Beaver, and DHC-3 Otter. I survived a water ditching in an Otter once on on aerial shoot, so I have a special fondness for that plane. It's tough as nails.

For the last few years I've been doing most of my simulator flights in the FSEconomy game. I started with the small stuff, but there is a motivation to carry enough pax and cargo to pay the virtual bills. I also don't have a huge amount of free time to fly, which means I like planes fast enough to handle a 200nm or 300nm assignment (I can only get 2x time compression in cruise using X-Plane). That leaves out some slower bush planes I enjoy, like the Beaver or Otter.

So my main ride in FSEconomy is a Pilatus PC-12. Beautiful plane; fast but can still handle STOL airstrips. I've spent a hundred hours or so flying just that plane since I "own" one in the game, so I'm very familiar with how it handles. I also "own" a Bell 412 helicopter in the game. For variety, I'll occasionally rent something else in FSE like a DC-3, Twin Otter, or Beech 18, but it's mainly just those two: the PC-12 and Bell 412.

Right now I'm the process of flying the PC-12 using FSE from the Pacific Northwest through Alaska and into Japan, taking only assignments where I can find them going in the right direction to pay my way. Might turn into a round-the-world trip, I'm not sure yet. The Bell 412 is mostly for short-hop sightseeing around the UK.

Edited by Paraffin
  • Like 1

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

See... this is exactly why I wanted to created this thread. I'm already getting new ideas on how to expand my FSX time. Thanks to both

FSX:SE here. I'm currently "flying" the MD-11 freighter, lovely tri-holer still in service. Sky Simulations V2.0 not PMDG. Normal cargo flights are less hassle than taking a couple of hundred or so self-loading cargoes (passengers) for a ride ;), (even virtual ones!). I do like the heavy metal, it has to be said.

For the higher end of GA it has to be the Piaggio Avanti (there's a good freeware version available). If I was in the bracket of affording my own private "jet", then the Avanti would be my turbo twin of choice: Almost private jet-like performance coupled with turboprop economy, acceptable range (almost 1400 nm - the EVO has even greater range) ... and great looks IMHO!

For lower price GA (relatively!) I like Cessna's 337 Skymaster (Carenado) and the little Aerospool WT-9 Dynamic (Lionheart).

I use the stock FSX ATC. I could just ignore all the ATC and fly the magenta line, except that with the world navaid updates by Herve Sors, I do not think that SIDs and STARS are in the 10 year old FSX database...).

I also have a nice freeware EC135 helicopter for rotary wing excursions.

Happy (virtual) flying.

• Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I purcahsed FSX Gold when the week it came out and flew ALL the time (Wife was tired of hearing the ATC.... LOL). There came a time where it got put away for many years. I found the old tim box it came in and decided to load it again on my new gaming laptop and love it.

Point being, I used to fly FedEx flights all the time. I might think about doing some cargo flights again. Great idea and thanks.

• Like 1

I belong to the Coastal International Club. They have many programs with several flights in each program. When each program is done we're presented with an award. Some programs require short runways, in that case I'll choose a DHC-6, a2a Comanche or Cherokee. International airports I'll fly the PMDG 747, 737, 777 or Quality Wings 787. In between I'll fly the Coronado Phenom or Grand Caravan. FSX SE and PREPARED v4 PRO.

My personal plane right now is the Baytower RV7A.

Great visibility and lots of fun to fly  :smile:

If I need more speed and comfort, I quite like the C421 from Alabeo..

Both really well equipped airplanes, the RV7 with a GNS530 and the C421 with a GTN750 in the panel.  

Bert

Dcs world f-18 hornet  and soon need for speed f-14 tomcat in vr.

• Upvote 1

PMDG 737/747/777, and I am preparing to take my maiden flight in the QW 787

• Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Majestic Dash 8. Can't recommend this bird enough for a great, immersive experience. Once mastered it's a very rewarding aircraft to fly. Hand flying a final approach in gusty crosswinds will keep you occupied. Currently flying ANA Wings schedule all across Japan. P3D v4.

Spoilt for choice in P3D v4

Vertx Diamaond DA62 - 'the best' - from Shoreham (EGKA) to Granville France (LFRF) - or Jersey (EGJJ)

Carenado B350i - but note - only with Bill's mod esp -67 version - in Canada and Alaska, Argentina and Antarctica (waiting for Milviz??)

Dash 8 - couldn't agree more with TimF - Southampton (EGHI) to Edinburgh (EGPH), Innsburck to Frankfurt or Salzburg, Jersey etc; and Iceland

I also do have RealAir Lancair and Beech Duke, Aerosoft Twotter, Milviz Cessna 310R and BE55 Baron which will get occassional outings (S France - LFTZ, Brazil and S Africa) less time to fly these tho).

...oh and JustFlight Piper Arrow PA28 - best small GA to my mind... fly that just about anywhere - Polynesia, New Zealand (NZMF/NZQN) PNG, Australia, Popham (EGHP) etc

That covers most of it - I do have FS Labs Airbus, B757, iFly737 and BAe 146 - but rarely seem to get around to the jets nowadays - working full time and huge family..

Ray

P3D v4.4

A2A Cessna 172 and Skylane because those are the aircraft i fly in the non sim world. They work really well when filling the gap due to weather and time con straights.

Ed

ASRock 2390 Phantom Gaming 4S - Intel Core i7-9700K 3.6ghz - (4.6ghz turbo) liquid cooled -32GB DDR4-3000 mhz OC - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER 8GB - 480GB SSD - 970 EVO PLUS M.2 1TB

Pilot      C152 - C172SP - PA-28-181 Archer II - Piper PA-28 Cherokee -  AOPA# 09053717

https://www.pcflyers.org/

Two aircraft in P3D. In v4 I fly the PMDG737 and although it's an excellent aircraft it's far too slow!

In v3 I fly FS Labs Concorde - an absolute beast of an aircraft. Mach 2, 1350mph, 23 miles a minute, cruises at FL550-600 and overtakes 747s at 750mph! 😁 Flights include JFK to Orlando in 1.5hrs and Honolulu to LAX in 2.5hrs.

ATC is via Radar Contact v4. No online flying for me.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Only 2 aircraft, although I own dozens of payware. PMDG 737 and majestic Q400. 

BOBSK8             MSFS 2020 ,    ,PMDG 737-600-800 FSLTL , TrackIR ,  Avliasoft EFB2  ,  ATC  by PF3  ,

A Pilots LIfe V2 ,  CLX PC , Auto FPS, PMDG DC6 , A2A Comanche, Fenix A320, Milviz C 310