Sign in to follow this  
Trans_27 Pilot Chase

Will i clear customs?

In a few hours, i will travel to IAH to pick up my brother and his wife coming from cancun. Unshure about going to the gate though. Would i be held back by customs if i try to access the gate area?Last thing i really want is to be tackled by Border Control and US Customs for trying to get to see that 757.

Guest DNelson

Assuming you're talking about the jetway gate where the flight arrives, you cannot get past the main security checkpoint and into the concourses without a boarding pass or paper receipt of some kind.

It's not customs, it's TSA, but technically speaking no you can't go through to the gate to meet a flight anymore.However...... if you go to the ticket desk and tell them you're meeting someone who, for some reason, has trouble carrying their own carry-on bag, you 'might' (depends on how well you butter up the desk clerk :-) ) get a security document from them that will let you get through screening.Richard

Are you really suggesting that someone should lie in order to breach airport security?

i dont think its a big deal if you have no intentions of harming any one.Now if we see osama bin laden walking through an airport, thats one thing, but some one with a camera to meet his family, thats another.

So if people say they've no intention of harming anyone we let them go anywhere?We might as well not bother with any security - a terrorist would lie too.

mgh:"Are you really suggesting that someone should lie in order to breach airport security?"Not at all..... when I aid he could tell the ticket agent that he was meeting someone who had trouble carrying their own bag, I assumed it was the truth.

Really? You actually knew he was meeting someone who couldn't carry their own bag?

No it's not.The rule was put in place to reduce the number of people passing the security checkpoints, thus reducing the chance of someone slipping past in the crowd.As you might be aware security checks are now stricter (not yet strict enough maybe but stricter) and take more time.That means more stress as there's always someone who checked in at the very last minute and now may not make his flight and starts to scream and swear.If there's several non-passengers for ever passenger (as was often the case in the past in the US) the situation would become so bad it would effectively get completely out of control with waiting times to pass security stretching to hours and queues stretching for miles.At last the US has now introduced after 9/11 the same policy of separating passengers from people with no business airside that the rest of the civilised world has had in effect for decades.And it works. Less crowding at the gates as there are no more families with children and grandchildren seeing off a single passenger, exchanging hugs at the jetway entrance blocking it for everyone else for 5 minutes or more.The boarding process is a lot more effective now, boarding delays are down as are stresslevels.

>We all know i have no intentions of causing harm, so why>would it be such a big deal?Because that's exactly what people who DO intend harm will claim."Officer, I don't want to hijack an aircraft so there's no reason to not let me take this AK47 on board" comes to mind.

that would be a bit obvious wouldnt it.Guys, i asked a simple quiestion because i was unshure if i could go to the gate. First time i had flow since 9/11.. :-)