Sign in to follow this  
b1bmsgt

Virtualcol A220 Released!

It's a fun thing, like most Virtualcol stuff, it's not going to set the world alight, but it's a lot of bang for your bucks all the same, and it has a better VC than many of their other previous releases, so it's nice to see them addressing that aspect of their creations. And of course, there is also the fact that it's pretty much the only one there is.

MmRGMsU.png

s8RY6ot.png

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Alan,

How are the flight dynamics?  I really wish they would stop using the default MFD!  Thanks for the pictures, sir! 

Matt King

Too early to say concerning how it flies in comparison to a real one since I only just got the thing, and in any case, although I do occasionally work on these, I'd hardly consider myself an expert by any stretch of the imagination, so I'm gonna have to check out a bit of info on it and maybe bend some of the pilot's ears about it. I'll do a review of it at some point.

In the interim, I can at least tell you that it's frame-rate friendly, and it flies okay in terms no shocking or surprising behaviour, that is to say, I managed to get it off the deck and flying a flight plan following LNAV and VNAV, so it's not exactly rocket science to figure it out its avionics.

For the money, I don't see why anyone wouldn't at least be prepared to give it a go. I'll probably spend twice what it costs in the pub later this evening lol.

• Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

7 minutes ago, Chock said:

Too early to say concerning how it flies in comparison to a real one since I only just got the thing, and in any case, although I do occasionally work on these, I'd hardly consider myself an expert by any stretch of the imagination, so I'm gonna have to check out a bit of info on it and maybe bend some of the pilot's ears about it. I'll do a review of it at some point.

In the interim, I can at least tell you that it's frame-rate friendly, and it flies okay in terms no shocking or surprising behaviour, that is to say, I managed to get it off the deck and flying a flight plan following LNAV and VNAV, so it's not exactly rocket science to figure it out its avionics.

For the money, I don't see why anyone wouldn't at least be prepared to give it a go. I'll probably spend twice what it costs in the pub later this evening lol.

+1

Also, as you pointed out it's the only one available, and that's a situation that is unlikely to change for quite some time... That's one of the reasons I decided to get it, and i'm well aware of Vcol's limitations based on opinions of their past offerings, but I have to say in all honesty, for the price I was pleasantly surprised with the A220, and i'm glad I got it.. 

Yup, I think it is as well to be aware that if anyone wanted to develop a more 'study' version of the A220, they'd be looking at a lot of work, most of that probably from scratch. So any sort of super-duper version of an A220 for any of the popular flight sim platforms is going to be quite a way off in terms of choices available.

If a developer already has made, for example, a Boeing 707, that would at least pave the way a bit to making a 727 and a 737, since all three types share many attributes from similar engines and avionics, to even having the same cockpit shell, so it would at least in some respects make it a bit less work. But as far as the A220 is concerned, it only really shares a very few number of attributes with a few aeroplanes, most of which nobody has made for a flight sim anyway. There's some minor  parts commonality with the Comac C919 and the Irkut MC-21, and the Pratt & Whitney PW1000G is basically the engine an A320 NEO uses, and if we're really pushing it, the A220 shares some similarities with some CRJs (a bit) courtesy of its Bombardier origins, but none of this is really going to help with making a flight sim A220 very much. At best it would be anyone who's made a 320 NEO who might be able to use some of the engine work on a 220.

So as far as the A220 is concerned in PC-based flight sims, it's kind of this or nothing, for a good while at least. Not necessarily a bad thing, I quite like it so far and you can't really grumble about a 20 quid price tag.

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

1 hour ago, Chock said:

Yup, I think it is as well to be aware that if anyone wanted to develop a more 'study' version of the A220, they'd be looking at a lot of work, most of that probably from scratch. So any sort of super-duper version of an A220 for any of the popular flight sim platforms is going to be quite a way off in terms of choices available....

So as far as the A220 is concerned in PC-based flight sims, it's kind of this or nothing, for a good while at least. Not necessarily a bad thing, I quite like it so far and you can't really grumble about a 20 quid price tag.

I agree Chock, and I think you summed it up nicely.

Maybe it's just me, but one thing I found to be mildly disappointing are the engine sounds...

The characteristic "howling" sound that the PW 1500G exhibits with the Vcol A220 at different stages of the engines spooling up or down seem to be accurately modeled from what I can see in various Youtube videos of the actual aircraft, but i've noticed that certain changes in the throttle setting can result in a glitchy "stuttering" or loopy effect until the throttles are advanced or retarded a bit more. It's a minor thing overall, but it's apparent to my ears nevertheless.

I understand that the sound sets that come with most of these lower tier aircraft aren't usually the best, and I suppose I could always substitute a freeware sound package, or one from an existing payware aircraft, but it might be nice if we could get TSS to make a PW 1500G sound package for us...😎 

Edited by SunDevil56
  • Like 1

Well that's one of many things third parties could address, from avionics to sounds. Probably will happen given the fact that it's the only game in town.

• Upvote 1

Alan Bradbury

6 hours ago, Chock said:

Yup, I think it is as well to be aware that if anyone wanted to develop a more 'study' version of the A220, they'd be looking at a lot of work, most of that probably from scratch. So any sort of super-duper version of an A220 for any of the popular flight sim platforms is going to be quite a way off in terms of choices available

That OK to me. Now I fear it's like the Feelthere ERJ, there never will be a more advanced model both Texture and systems quality.

With regard to the suggestion that the modelling is a bit off in terms of gear strut length and window size, although it's usually near impossible to match a real-world photograph with a sim screenshot, these ones I did are a fairly close match. From this, I think that maybe just possibly the windows are a tiny bit over-sized and the gear is possibly just a little bit over-long too, but on the whole it doesn't really look that bad. Anyway, judge for yourselves:

TLZ9gCe.png

Edited by Chock
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

Alan Bradbury

Great pics Alan, thanks!

As you said, it's near impossible to match a real-world photograph with a sim screenshot, but I think you've nailed these about as well as could possibly be expected. 

Overall, based on your pics I think the Vcol A220 looks pretty spot on, perhaps there are some very minor size issues of the sim model versus the real world AC, but I think that would be apparent with practically any sim model, and I also believe that's due in part to the whole "individual visual perception" thing, but I think your excellent comparison pics illustrate very well that there aren't any grossly out of scale or over sized elements on the A220, and certainly nothing I would remotely describe as "completely off" or ridiculous.

Anyway, i've been enjoying this bird quite a bit, and for 20 quid it's absolutely worth the price of admission IMHO.. Thanks again for the pics..😁

• Upvote 1

HI Guys, about the gear being too long well if they were any shorter the engines would probably hit the ground on a hard landing wouldn't you say?  lol... I bougt it and did a couple of flights with it. I find that like the Virtualcol CRJ's and their Embraer 190/195, when you put full flaps on the approaches going down the glide slope, the nose of the aircraft is pointing way too much downwards. It is not realistic to have such an angle of attack but if you leave it to flaps 30 then its all fine. I would say that it is a fun airplane to fly for the price. I'm glad I bought it. 

Thanks!

Thanks for all the comments chaps , it was interesting reading because for 20 quid I'm concerned it would be rubbish , however , i will buy this and give it a whirl. I have the aerosoft Airbus family and I ain't gonna lie, I have flown them maybe twice !! I have not the time or will to sit and learn all there is to know . I fly the ifly 737 which has been my bird of choice for a long time now and so if this A220 is as easy , I will be a happy chappy 😁

• Upvote 1

18 minutes ago, asustech said:

Thanks for all the comments chaps , it was interesting reading because for 20 quid I'm concerned it would be rubbish , however , i will buy this and give it a whirl. I have the aerosoft Airbus family and I ain't gonna lie, I have flown them maybe twice !! I have not the time or will to sit and learn all there is to know . I fly the ifly 737 which has been my bird of choice for a long time now and so if this A220 is as easy , I will be a happy chappy 😁

If you are comfortable with the iFly 737 (great aircraft BTW) you should have no trouble at all with the A220. 

But if you have questions about specific procedures, functions, etc on the Vcol A220, Just post them here and i'm quite certain you'll get the answers you need, or you can PM me direct and i'll do my best to assist you. Honestly, this bird isn't very difficult to master, and for 20 quid it's well worth the price of admission IMHO.

If you do get it, keep in mind there's a just released update that addresses a few (very minor) issues like reversed wingtip logo's on the Air Baltic 300, and some bleed through on one of the popup gauges.

2 hours ago, SunDevil56 said:

If you are comfortable with the iFly 737 (great aircraft BTW) you should have no trouble at all with the A220. 

But if you have questions about specific procedures, functions, etc on the Vcol A220, Just post them here and i'm quite certain you'll get the answers you need, or you can PM me direct and i'll do my best to assist you. Honestly, this bird isn't very difficult to master, and for 20 quid it's well worth the price of admission IMHO.

If you do get it, keep in mind there's a just released update that addresses a few (very minor) issues like reversed wingtip logo's on the Air Baltic 300, and some bleed through on one of the popup gauges.

Thanks , I went ahead and purchased her ... took a little trip from Gatwick to Edinburgh and flew very nicely , engine noise on decent was a little tedious but I'm sure they may correct that in updates,  other than that,  she is a lot quieter in cruise than the 737 and very little effort to.fly . Love the map.display which I have missed in the 737 and the take off call outs ... only thing I did notice,  taxi lights and landing lights did not light up taxi ways or clouds like the ifly 737 does , they were definitely on as I checked on outside view ?