Sign in to follow this  
Matt Piotrowski

Blurry terrain/autogen

It seems this is mainly with buildings and cities for some reason, at a certain distance I notice very blurry autogen/terrain. Only scenery I have is Orbx global.

Edited by Matt Piotrowski

Must be an LOD issue, try manually adjusting it setting it to 6.0 to start with.  I do not get the blurries in P3DV4 or Xplane11 with my specs, nor did I get them on an old Gateway with just 4GB of RAM, 2GB of VRAM and a 2.3 GHZ cpu.  Contrary to popular wisdom I do lock my P3D fps to 33, for some reason that number just gels on my system after I tried a lower 30 fps, it is quite fluid for me with all sorts of add on aircraft and scenery I have tried.  I fly with heavy photoscenery which hammers the texture engine harder than default textures which are repetitious.

John

7 minutes ago, John_Cillis said:

Must be an LOD issue, try manually adjusting it setting it to 6.0 to start with.  I do not get the blurries in P3DV4 or Xplane11 with my specs, nor did I get them on an old Gateway with just 4GB of RAM, 2GB of VRAM and a 2.3 GHZ cpu.  Contrary to popular wisdom I do lock my P3D fps to 33, for some reason that number just gels on my system after I tried a lower 30 fps, it is quite fluid for me with all sorts of add on aircraft and scenery I have tried.  I fly with heavy photoscenery which hammers the texture engine harder than default textures which are repetitious.

John

How do I change the LOD?

You can change it in P3D's graphics settings, I believe it mentions distance, or manually in P3D's settings file found here:

"C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.cfg"

Under the [TERRAIN] section there is a line, LOD_RADIUS=x.xxxxx

Mine is set to 4.5 which I am fine with, it simulates fore to distant scenery detail as close to real life as P3D allows.  But if you want crisper scenery, you can increase the number.  6.0 is the max I recommend because increasing this value will tax the memory of your system, it always has since the days the value was created in the MSFS series. 

Sometimes I adjust it if I fly a sim flight in the desert southwest where we have incredibly clear skies.  But I have flown so much in real life that I could have traveled to the moon and back in terms of jet distance traveled.  And the ground scenery at average is quite blurry beyond 30 or 40 nm in the flight levels I have found, outside of the pristine desert areas I live in.

John

Edited by John_Cillis

1 hour ago, John_Cillis said:

You can change it in P3D's graphics settings, I believe it mentions distance, or manually in P3D's settings file found here:

"C:\Users\yourusername\AppData\Roaming\Lockheed Martin\Prepar3D v4\Prepar3D.cfg"

Mine is set to 4.5 which I am fine with, it simulates fore to distant scenery detail as close to real life as P3D allows.  But if you want crisper scenery, you can increase the number.  6.0 is the max I recommend because increasing this value will tax the memory of your system, it always has since the days the value was created in the MSFS series. 

Sometimes I adjust it if I fly a sim flight in the desert southwest where we have incredibly clear skies.  But I have flown so much in real life that I could have traveled to the moon and back in terms of jet distance traveled.  And the ground scenery at average is quite blurry beyond 30 or 40 nm in the flight levels I have found, outside of the pristine desert areas I live in.

John

Thank you for the help.

17 hours ago, John_Cillis said:

John

I checked my CFG and my LOD_RADIUS=5.50 already.

Edit: I switched LOD_RADIUS to 6.5 and I don't see a difference, still blurry after a certain distance. It seems to be worse at lower altitudes.

Edited by Matt Piotrowski