Sign in to follow this  
tstiegler

Low ATC voice level

Hi,

Since a couple of days I have the problem that the ATC voice level in my P3Dv4.4 installation is much too low compared to exterior, interior and engine sounds. It is there but barely to hear. Exterior, interior and engine sounds are OK. Moving the sound slider in options to max didn't help. I have a few ORBX packages installed, A2A Piper Comanche and Active Sky for P3Dv4.

Any ideas?

Thanks, Thomas

I believe that this is a problem with the latest Windows update. They're supposed to fix it in the next update. For now if you go into your p3d settings and change the sound device from the actual card to the generic sound device. It should work.

• Like 1

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

The workaround for the Windows issue is to go into sound settings, and choose "mute all other sounds" as a response to detecting communications activity. Apply that, then choose "do nothing" and apply it.

This fix will work until you reboot, at which point you'll have to do it again.

y5LFx.png

• Like 2

His post said "Since a couple of days ago...". He posted in on the 22nd, and MS pushed KB4489899 on March 12th, which is only 10 days ago. He might not have received it on day 1, so I felt this might be it. This problem appeared on my system last week (as described by the OP - very low volume on some sounds), and the workaround MS provided fixed mine. More information:

KB4489899 is said to fix the problem. Microsoft said in the release notes that this update: "Addresses an issue that may degrade graphics and mouse performance with desktop gaming when playing certain games, such as Destiny 2, after installing KB4482887." It also improves HoloLens and has security updates.

KB4489899 does have issues, though. One causes "applications that provide advanced options for internal or external audio output devices" to stop working on "machines that have multiple audio devices." Microsoft listed Windows Media Player, Realtek HD Audio Manager, and Sound Blaster Control Panel as examples of such apps.

That problem has a temporary solution, which involves selecting the "Default Audio Device" in the app's options and then sending the app's audio to the right device using per-application audio settings in Settings > System > Sound > App Volume and device preferences. Microsoft plans to fix the issue in late March.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/microsoft-fixes-game-breaking-windows-update,38804.html

The workaround you provided is still valid for everyone, so the OP should check both.

Edited by MDFlier

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

Hi,

Sorry for replying that late but I didn't have much time on the computer over the weekend and the picture is still not clear to me. I have a sound system setup I would call as just standard. I use only the sound chip on the ASUS ROG Strix Z390-F Gaming Mainboard having the headphone connected through the front plug. The chip also delivers sound to the monitor speaker via HDMI. The level is the same there. To not to have even more variables I have switched it off in the NVidia settings. I finally found a way that works fairly well by setting the ATC voice to 100% and all other sounds to 10% and then adjusted the general Windows volume to a level that works. But these are all compromises. I still don't understand why there is such a great difference between the various sounds inside the sim. There is just one Windows sound service that can be used. I also don't understand why it has worked better a couple of days before. Although I'm no longer 100% sure if it really came with the Comanche. As the computer is new and not just used for sim, I have also installed a few other pieces of software -- but no other games ore software that might interfere with the sound system (as I would see it). Is there probably some documentation that describes how audio is handled in P3D at all?

Thanks again, Thomas 

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but it appears that this issue has reared its ugly head again. I have never had the problem in the past, but I experienced it this morning after preparing for a flight in my PMDG 737-600. As soon as ATC communications started, the sound level dropped dramatically. After finding this thread, I checked the sound settings as recommended above, and noted that Windows was set to "reduce the volume of other sounds by 80%" when it detects communications activity.

Has anyone else noticed this recently? I am using P3Dv4.5HF2.

Edited by Christopher Low
  • Like 1

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

5 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but it appears that this issue has reared its ugly head again. I have never had the problem in the past, but I experienced it this morning after preparing for a flight in my PMDG 737-600. As soon as ATC communications started, the sound level dropped dramatically. After finding this thread, I checked the sound settings as recommended above, and noted that Windows was set to "reduce the volume of other sounds by 80%" when it detects communications activity.

Has anyone else noticed this recently? I am using P3Dv4.5HF2.

Yep.   This started for me too last week. But v5.1.1

Edited by IAhawkeyeDDS
  • Like 1

i7 6700K @ 4.6GHz, ASUS Z170-PRO GAMING, 32GB DDR4 2666MHz, 750W EVGA SuperNOVA, 512GB Samsung 960 PRO, 1TB Western Digital - Black Edition
RTX 2080Ti (MSI trio), Corsair H115i - 280mm Liquid CPU Cooler

9 minutes ago, IAhawkeyeDDS said:

Yep.   This started for me too last week. But v5.1.1

Same here. I did what was suggested, but still had to uninstall my sound drivers, let them reinstall, followed by the above, and voila 😎 (on my pc at least).

Hope this helps,

Pete

I9-13900K, RTX 4090, DR5-6000MHZCORSAIR ICUE H150I ELITE, ASUS PRIME Z790-P, THERMALTAKE TOUGHPOWER GF3 1350W, WIN 11

On 3/25/2019 at 6:17 PM, tstiegler said:

Hi,

Sorry for replying that late...

Thanks again, Thomas 

That’s OK, Thomas, people will still be replying to this 2 years in the future. Btw, speaking as someone from 2021, enjoy 2019 while you can. No spoilers, but 2020 turns out to be a bit of a doozy!

Oz

xdQCeNi.jpg   puHyX98.jpg

Sim Rig: MSI RTX3090 Suprim, an old, partly-melted Intel 9900K @ 5GHz+, Honeycomb Alpha, Thrustmaster TPR Rudder, Warthog HOTAS, Reverb G2, Prosim 737 cockpit. 

Currently flying: MSFS: PMDG 737-700, Fenix A320, Leonardo MD-82, MIlviz C310, Flysimware C414AW, DC Concorde, Carenado C337. Prepar3d v5: PMDG 737/747/777.

"There are three simple rules for making a smooth landing. Unfortunately, no one knows what they are."

Same issue here. Just started a couple of weeks ago. Tried reinstalling drivers and the above steps but nil joy....

Kael Oswald

7950X3D / 64GB DDR5 6000 @ CL30 / Custom Water Loop / RTX 4090 / 3 x 50" 4K LCD TVs

It is still set to "do nothing" after shutting down last night and then booting back up again this morning. I will be flying again this afternoon, so that will indicate whether the adjustment that I made is permanent or not.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Ditto here on this issue. I thought it was something to do with the new 777. Guess not. Lets hope one of you guys found a permanent fix! Thanks. 

-Tony@PVD

Tony Moore

In the P3D sounds configuration (and in Windows 10) make sure you have your speakers selected, not the generic "Realtec Digital Output" (or what ever applies to your computer).

There's a couple of other similar threads around at the moment - it appears that a recent KB update caused the 'do nothing' setting to stop working properly and to need to be reset every reboot. Supposedly a fix is coming, might already be out in fact. 

Temporary sim: 9700K @ 5GHz, 2TB NVMe SSD, RTX 3080Ti, MSFS + SPAD.NeXT

On 3/4/2021 at 4:39 AM, neilhewitt said:

There's a couple of other similar threads around at the moment - it appears that a recent KB update caused the 'do nothing' setting to stop working properly and to need to be reset every reboot. Supposedly a fix is coming, might already be out in fact. 

yep...this seems to be the answer (for now).  Each time before I fire up P3D, i need to tick the "do-nothing" box.  Even if its already ticked, i select one of the other variables, apply it, and then re-tick the "do-nothing" box.  Its a pain in the word not allowed, especially if you forget to do it before launching P3D - depending on the addon, it can ruin your flightsim experience for that session.  there has to be a better way!

Zachary Kerr

"I fly a fake plane on my computer and I love it!"