Sign in to follow this  
CpnBill

Upgrading monitor(s) is it worth it?

Figured I could put this here and get the opinions from real users for Flight Sims...

I've got 3 externals, all 1080p, a little older, but 2 dells, and an HP, all 23"  I was thinking about replacing the older HP and putting a 27" 4k in the center of the two dells.  For those that have upgraded to 4k monitor(s), is it worth it in Prepar3d?

Thanks!

• Intel i5-8600k
  • Gigabyte Z370 Aorus Gaming 5
  • GTX 1080Ti
  • 16 GB DDR4 3000 G. Skill
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500 GB
  • 3 TB Barracuda 7200RPM for backup
Edited by CpnBill

Mixing 4K and HD monitors doesn't sound like a good idea to me.  A single 4K display is a pretty heavy workload for a 1080Ti on its own.

Better, I think, to replace all three monitors with a single large-format 4K display.  Putting P3D on a 4K 55" TV made a stunning difference in my simming...and 4K TV prices are now low enough to where that's not going to cost an arm and a leg.

Regards

• Like 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

I just upgraded to a 43" 4K monitor and I am shocked at how great it looks.  What was I waiting for, should have done this a long time ago.  I have a 1080Ti and also have a second screen attached but I don't use it for P3D, rather use it for other programs, Discord, etc.  I was able to turn of all AA to reduce the workload on the card and image looks fantastic.

• Like 1

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I've been flying for years with 3 27" monitors (1080)

Last year i upgraded to a 49" 4k monitor and i won't return never to multimonitor setup

I now prefer to have height and width in a monitor than a strecthed image.

That's an example of my view

47413694101_f547966022_o.jpg2019-2-22_18-44-43-187 by Miguel Leandro, on Flickr

Miguel Leandro

Exactly what I was looking for, thanks guys.  I have a three monitor setup at work too, so I really like separating stuff on 3 monitors, so maybe I'd just use the bigger 4k for Prepar3d, then when doing other stuff, utilize the other 23s.

55 inch 4k upscaling monitor. Never looked back, cockpit looks life size I could reach out and touch it. Runs great on standard Gt1080 in FSX. 

Russell Gough

Daytona Beach/London

FL/UK

Darn you guys, you're going to cost me money.

Edited by CpnBill

I had an ultra wide computer monitor (43" 21x9 ratio) and switched to a 47" 4K TV with a standard 16:9 ratio. I couldn't be happier with what it does for P3D, not to mention other things. I even liked it so much for productivity tasks that I convinced my company to buy one for my office.

Check out https://www.rtings.com if you don't know about it. Many of their TV reviews specifically address using the TV as a computer / gaming monitor.  You tend to sit a lot closer to a TV being used as a computer monitor so it's helpful to have a review from that perspective. They saved me because the model I was going to buy had some visible cross-hatching from up close. It was not noticeable from room-sized viewing distances, but at a desktop distance it was like looking through a screen door.

• Like 1

Scott Easley

I agree with others that s single large 4K/UHD display is preferable to multiple Full HD ones. For one, the extra detail on gauges and instruments means you would never want to go back. Second, multiple displays will have an adverse affect on fps.

But one caveat. Not all 4K TVs are suitable. It needs chroma 4:4:4 to ensure Windows text remains sharp. That could be advertised as having HDR. Tread cautiously.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I read the comment from Ray about chroma 4:4:4. Not knowing much about it, I looked up about it. Here some references

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/pc-monitor  

• Like 1

FlyHirundo Rudder Pedal and Yoke
Designed and manufactured in Switzerland

Email: info@flyhirundo.com

1 hour ago, oemlegoem said:

I read the comment from Ray about chroma 4:4:4. Not knowing much about it, I looked up about it. Here some references

https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/chroma-subsampling

https://www.rtings.com/tv/reviews/best/by-usage/pc-monitor  

Good man for posting those links. The manufacturers do not use chroma 4:4:4 in their technical blurb so it can be difficult to ascertain if a particular model supports it. The better TVs probably will but the customer does need to research it. After all, you use a computer for far more things than just flying so clarity of text is very important.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

Thanks guys!  This is very helpful.  I've been doing a little looking, and measuring, and I do a lot more on my computer for work than I do Prepar3d.  So I think it makes sense for me to go with a 28-32" 4k monitor rather than a TV.  I just don't have the room to put a 43"+ TV.  So now it's looking at the monitors and seeing how much I really want to spend.

@CpnBill, wise decision. The good news is the chroma 4:4:4 issue doesn’t apply to monitors. You’ll have the biggest choice from 16:9 monitors and the largest size I’ve seen is 32” which is what I plumped for. Fantastic clarity with vc panels.

Just make sure the vertical resolution is 2160 as some of the ultra wide ones have 3840 horizontal but only 1440 vertical. Those are not 4K/UHD.

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I bought Three LG 43" 4K TVs for less than $250 each to replace Three old 1080P 40" TVs.

Its nice but too much of a tax on the system.