Sign in to follow this  
Nigel

Frame Rates on New Computer.

I took delivery on a new computer about 2 months ago and have been flying in X Plane 11 quite happily but somehow I do not think I am getting the performance that I should.

My frame rates are around between 25 - 30 fps even over London but on reading in one post on another forum one person was getting in the region of 60fps.  I know that 2 computers are never going to be the same but I decided to see what frame rates I would get if I put the sliders down to the left and found that with hardly any scenery showing I only managed 45fps.

My system briefly is an  i7-9700K @ 3.60GHz (not overclocked)  RTX 2070 Graphic Card (not overclocked) and 32GB RAM. Also have a 1TB SSD for X Plane 11

I am running Orbx True Earth with only a few plug-ins and at the moment just 2 payware airports Southampton and Barton and one payware aircraft being the DA62, the rest of the time I fly the default a/c.

Could some-one please advise me whether or not my fps at 25 - 30fps is what it should be with these settings.

pLgSQJBh.png

Finally have also included log file when starting X Plane 11

NnIGug8h.jpg

Any help or advice appreciated.

Regards

Nigel.

Edited by Nigel

You might try backing down the visual effects slider from maximum, but you should still be getting better fps with that system, I think. What plugins are you using, and what monitor resolution are you using? 

You can debug a plugin issue by creating a new folder named plugins_disabled under the /resources folder, and temporarily move all your optional plugin folders there. See if that makes a difference in frame rate.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Hi Paraffin, have done as you suggested and taken out all the plug-ins then fire up X Plane 11.  Two screenshots the first is in the Cessna 172, took off from Wickenby Liincs as there is very little scenery there so should really have got a decent amount of frame rates but only got around 38fps.  Also, this is now the graphic setup that I was using.  My screen resolution is running at 1920X1080

hSDc4Xoh.png

McJsJTRh.png

Only a very small improvement overall on frame rates, any ideas?

Regards

Nigel.

Edited by Nigel

Hello Bjoern, just tried that but unfortunately made no difference, still the same frame counts as above but many thanks for your suggestion.

Regards

Nigel.

That's weird, I'm using a 1920x1200 monitor with a much lower quality GPU and I'm getting better frame rates (see my specs below). 

Try deleting the "settings.txt" file in your X-Plane 11/Resources folder, then re-launch the sim (it will rebuild it). Sometimes that's a cure for odd behavior.

Also check your WIndows Task Manager with XP running, to make sure there isn't something else in the background eating up CPU cycles or RAM.

@Nigel

If you pay attention to your Cessna's copilot seat looking right forward screen capture, the GPU is almost idle compared to the CPU which is heavy loaded taking the delay.

You CPU is the bottleneck, at least in that example.

It is well known that xplane is still single core performance yet, luckily going to improve soon. So while you have a pretty modern 9700 multi-core CPU, it is not one of the fastest CPUs available for single core performance as of a I7700k will perform clocked to 5.1

Having said that, you should scrutinize CPU bound resources.

-xplane, AI traffic and road cars are heavy hitters (try disabling AI if any, try reducing road cars)

-make sure no other windows app or anything is taking precious cpu cicles on the back

hope this contributes

Manuel Merelles

59 minutes ago, Paraffin said:

That's weird, I'm using a 1920x1200 monitor with a much lower quality GPU and I'm getting better frame rates (see my specs below). 

Because his problem is not GPU bound, but CPU and yours is 4.0 Ghz

Manuel Merelles

Funny I have never measured framerates on my system but I average about 30 with my specs but peak in the 60's when I fly over photoreal without autogen.  Improvements in 11.30 have really helped my performance although the initial betas dragged my system into the sewer, but I submitted reports to Austin and his team and they sure fixed something because the 11.3x that has resulted has been the best Xplane11 release yet and impeccable in its stability.  My replays used to exit Xplane to the desktop and no longer do that, because I submitted logs to Xplane support and again they fixed something, possibly scenery related as the logs seemed to point to errant scenery when I examined them.

I do not dwell on getting max framerates in Xplane11, not with my specs and it is because of two things--limited GPU ram and low unoverclockable cpu speed, since MSI locks users out of overclocking probably for good reason--cpu life expectancy and cooling issues.  As it is my cpu is a little heater but not nearly as hot as my old Gateway was with a 2.3 GHZ cpu.  My MSI Vortex is simply better cooled, and has never frozen.

My P3DV4 I have locked to 33 fps just because I like steady fps in dense scenery, it has gone as high as 70 fps when unlocked, at altitude, looking down at photoscenery.  My Valley benchmark soared over 100 fps, and another ray trace benchmark I compiled in QBasic runs at 150fps which the author says is quite high.

Also, fps killers can be things such as background apps, antivirus especially, or process monitors, and so on.  My system I have edited the startup and stopped all but essential background apps and I left the Windows 10 defaults alone, being a former WAN admin I follow the "if it ain't broke" model impeccably close, it saved those I supported the headache of losing data and I supported a WAN across three states with over 250 nodes and traveled back and forth between Arizona and New Mexico, with an assistant taking care of my California users.  But it has been long since I kept up to date with the background windows architecture and WAN hardware such as switches, patch panels etc.....  I do not need such at home with Centurylink, a great ISP that has had but one outage in the two and a half years I have used them.

So my advice, unless someone finds a way to improve your fps, is to fly and enjoy Xplane11 as best as you can, tweak when you can.   Also if you have an Nvidia card, make sure Threaded Optimization is turned on via Nvidia Inspector, it is off by default and someone here recommended it be turned on, I have had it on since I deployed 11.3x

John

ye CPU  bound, doesnt matter how fast the GPU is if the CPU is slow, a litlle overclocking will go a long way

Edited by mjrhealth

Isn't Orbx true earth hard on performance?  I thought I read about complaints.

Try dropping number of world objects by one notch.  And put anti aliasing up to 4x ssaa

Edited by ryanbatcund

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

52 minutes ago, ryanbatcund said:

For P3D. For XP performance is good.

2 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

Try dropping number of world objects by one notch.  And put anti aliasing up to 4x ssaa

I only have GB South, but it doesn't seem to affect FPS at all on my system, compared to default scenery. I was surprised. Average is around 35-40 FPS over most of that scenery, closer to 30 over London center. And that's with World Objects at maximum.

My system has a fairly strong CPU and not the best GPU, pointing to maybe a CPU-bound issue with the OP's low frame rate.

Hi chaps and very many thanks for all your answers to my query, firstly I never usually look at what my frame rates are as long as a simulation runs well but on reading a post whereby one person claimed he was getting 60fps I decided to look at mine and this is why I have put the post in just in case I am missing something on the settings.

From Mmerrelles post he wrote:

You CPU is the bottleneck, at least in that example.

I honestly thought that it was my GPU that was the problem and could not understand why but after reading the explanations I can see that the cpu is most likely the problem through bottlenecking.  I will of course try other suggestions made here but from my very first post I had written: I know that 2 computers are never going to be the same but I decided to see what frame rates I would get if I put the sliders down to the left and found that with hardly any scenery showing I only managed 45fps. This is where I could not get my head round, with basically no scenery at all and even taking a flight in France with just the default scenery there was only about 45fps with settings as shown above in the last of my screenshots with all sliders set to the left.

When I set the sliders to full right I only dropped between 5 -6fps!  so it looks like I need to find what programmes are taking up my cpu in the background.  By the way, how do I reduce the number of traffic on the roads in X Plane 11?  Had a look at the graphic settings and unless my eyes are getting really bad I cannot see anything which allows me to adjust the traffic.

Once again, very many thanks for all your help and advice, greatly appreciated.

Regards

Nigel.