Sign in to follow this  
mrrcflying

Cessna style cockpit

My only suggestion is make sure the AH (top center in the 6 pack of primaries) is directly in front of the pilot view.  Move the miscellaneous 21/4 " instruments if necessary.

Congratulations! Very impressive work. I've undertaken to build a Cessna cockpit last November. Very challenging work and enjoying every minute learning new skills. Using Air Manager, SimVim and SpadNext software and Desktop Aviator hardware. I know sharing information means work but I would be interested in learning about your setup especially your TV or monitor setup along with the hardware that drives it. I very much enjoyed your video and look forward to your next one. I have subscribed to your videos so that I'm informed when released.

All the best,

JJ

1 hour ago, olderndirt said:

My only suggestion is make sure the AH (top center in the 6 pack of primaries) is directly in front of the pilot view.  Move the miscellaneous 21/4 " instruments if necessary.

Sitting in front of the panel, it actually looks pretty good.  The camera may have been positioned so it looks a little off, not sure.  Also, the instruments have to line up with the holes in the panel, so too much movement cuts off the edges from view.

1 hour ago, Jean-Jacques said:

Congratulations! Very impressive work. I've undertaken to build a Cessna cockpit last November. Very challenging work and enjoying every minute learning new skills. Using Air Manager, SimVim and SpadNext software and Desktop Aviator hardware. I know sharing information means work but I would be interested in learning about your setup especially your TV or monitor setup along with the hardware that drives it. I very much enjoyed your video and look forward to your next one. I have subscribed to your videos so that I'm informed when released.

All the best,

JJ

Sure thing JJ!  Getting ready for supper, after, I will be happy to share all info I can.  🙂

OK, back now.  Simple supper of hot dogs and homemade meat sauce.  Not too bad...

Any specifics you would like to know, feel free to ask.

The computer is an i7 7700K, overclocked about 15%,  16GB of RAM, and a GTX 1080 11GB video card.  I have thought about using 2 computers running 2 copies of XP, but have not tried it yet.

The main monitor is new.  It is an RCA 58".  I understand RCA is now a Canadian owned company, an it is made in China.  In fact when I first powered it up  the setup screen said 'ELEMENT', which I know is a Chinese TV.  Probably just slapped an RCA label on it. It was a steal though on Walmart.com for $299 and free shipping.

The side monitors are ones I had, one is a Insignia, the other a Spectrum.  Both 32", and both fairly inexpensive, but they seem to work well.  Color correction between them was the most difficult part.

The panel is made by Diagma.  Pricey, but worth it for the looks and functions.  I am using Air Manager the instruments, except for the Garmins, which are the default XP pop out Garmins.

Yoke is the Saitek Proflight yoke, with rubber band mods done on it.  I am using the one Siatek throttle quadrant for flaps only.  

The TPM is a GoFlight, and I have a Desktop Aviator switch pannel mounted below the yoke for the lights and avionics.

Rudder petals were a set of Logitech that used the old game style connector.  Ripped apart a cheap joystick, and used the controls from that hooked into the Pots on the pedals.  That also left me with an extra channel, so I 3d printed a trim wheel, and rigged it up with a 10 turn Pot.  Mounted it under the TPM, and it works great.

I think that about covers the hardware and software.  If you have anything specific, ask away!

Edited by mrrcflying

Wow! That was quick . . . and on a Saturday night! Many thanks for a very informative post which will no doubt prove helpful in the completion of my home cockpit project. I'll share pictures when completed which I estimate to be about a month from now. But no doubt you know through experience that the last stretch of a project is always the more demanding phase in terms of effort!

I do hope you sort out the issues you're experiencing with P2ATC. Another home cockpit builder, Jeroen from Maastricht, The Netherlands, was also experiencing similar issues but I don't know if he's managed to sort them out. P2ATC is a very good ATC utility and its author, Dave, has proven to be responsive when help is requested.

All the best,

JJ