Sign in to follow this  
whamil77

Carenado PA42 Cheyenne IIIA Mod v1.0

Interestingly, Carenado didn’t exactly know what it had when modeling the Cheyenne III.  The visual model is a Cheyenne IIIA, but the performance model seems to be a Cheyenne III.  So, while developing the modification I decided to go with the IIIA.  The difference in the airplanes is the engine.  The III has the -41 engine while the IIIA utilizes the -61.  The PT6A-61 engine is actually the same engine used in the King Air 300 (-60A), but coupled to a -42 gearbox.  The result is no real difference in takeoff performance due to torque limits on the gearbox, but a substantial increase in cruise speed because the engine can produce rated torque at higher altitudes.

Changes:

1.       Moved normal and lite versions to a single aircraft folder.  The only difference are the interior model files.

2.       Updated autopilot (part of a continuing quest to get the KFC 300 right).  Pilot guide included. This download will also update your Cheyenne II autopilot.

3.       Included Cheyenne IIIA POH.

4.       Corrected surface deicing mechanization.

5.       Auto feather and auto feather test now works.

6.       Corrected pitot heat mechanization.

7.       Modeled the electrical system (as best I could).

8.       Corrected N1 indications to provide 12% minimum on start IAW the POH.

9.       Corrected ITT indications to more closely emulate real world behavior.

10.   Corrected performance numbers to emulate the Cheyenne IIIA’s capability (as best I could).

11.   Inserted consequences for not properly following POH checklist procedures. 

12.   Corrected the engine start sequence and idle control.

13.   Corrected the panel lights master mechanization (as best I could).

14.   Made some serious FDE changes to accommodate desktop simulation.

15.   Provided user selectable options for throttle matching and automatic control of pressurization in the normal control window.  

a.       There is an optional throttle and propeller matching algorithm.  Those of you that tried my previous attempt were not impressed.  This algorithm is greatly improved and eliminates the “hunting” that you may have seen before.  Try it. If you don’t like it, simply turn it off in the control window.

b.       Carenado’s pressurization controllers have never, ever worked properly.  I built a system that can be used manually or automatically by inserting your final altitude in the altitude pre-select window.  Again, try it.  If you don’t like it you can simply turn it off in the control window. 

16.   Enabled the trim master switch (must be on to use trim or the autopilot).

17.    Provided options for the Carenado GNS 530, Flight1 GNS 530, and the Flight1 GTN 750.  RXP gauges can easily be substituted using their utility.

There are probably other things that I have already forgotten about. 

If you are on the email list, this will be out shortly.  If you are not on my mailing list, own the Carenado Cheyenne III, and would like to try the mod, please send me a PM with an email address. 

Regards,

Bill

• Like 4

As always, fantastic work Bill. Thank you so much for taking the time to create this modification, it greatly increases the simulation experience with the Cheyenne IIIA, I especially love the sound modifications, they are fantastic.

Cheers, Andrew.

Andrew Walker

Got the email. Thank you so much for the hard work. These companies owe you big time.

Guillaume

YouTube Channel : The Flying Frog (P3D flying)

My Flickr Gallery : clicky clicky

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 48 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 4090 OS : Win 11 Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, Custom homecockpit.

Also received your email link and have the Carenado Cheyenne lll. Will be installing mod ASAP! Thank you!!

Hi Bill,

just did a quick test on mod 1.1. Looking really nice. Just brought her up to FL300 and watched the press working, niiice. Three observations:

- typo in aircraft.cfg e.g. D-IMOT version

- I get a constant warning popup WX locked on load of IIIA

- No VC click sounds atm at least for me in the IIIA

and what about the modules folder in the zip? not mentioned in install notes.

Cheers

T.

Edited by Torsen

3 hours ago, Torsen said:

Hi Bill,

just did a quick test on mod 1.1. Looking really nice. Just brought her up to FL300 and watched the press working, niiice. Three observations:

- typo in aircraft.cfg e.g. D-IMOT version

- I get a constant warning popup WX locked on load of IIIA

- No VC click sounds atm at least for me in the IIIA

and what about the modules folder in the zip? not mentioned in install notes.

Cheers

T.

T,

I need to know which panel.cfg you are referring to or if it pertains to all of them.  I'll just make some assumptions.

Either you don't have the WXAdvantage RADAR or it's out of date. If you have it, simply update it.  If you don't have it you can re-enable the default RADAR in the panel.cfg as follows.  Change the panel.cfg:

From this----------------------------------------

[Vcockpit04]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=512,512
visible=0
pixel_size=512,512
texture=$Panel_4

gauge00=MV_WX!WX,  90,35,335,245
//gauge00=WX_Gauge_3D_PA42III!WXGauge,  9,9,492,309
gauge03=TOGGLES!ToggleWxAdvantage,  0,48,513,450

-----------------------------------------------------

To this---------------------------------------------

[Vcockpit04]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=512,512
visible=0
pixel_size=512,512
texture=$Panel_4

//gauge00=MV_WX!WX,  90,35,335,245
gauge00=WX_Gauge_3D_PA42III!WXGauge,  9,9,492,309
//gauge03=TOGGLES!ToggleWxAdvantage,  0,48,513,450

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have come to the conclusion that the Cheyenne III xml sound file is somehow corrupted.  I have never been able to get it to work.  I substituted the Cheyenne II file and it seems to work OK.  I forgot to do that in the CarGNS panel.  Open the panel.cfg in the CarGNS panel and made the following change:

From this----------------------------

[Vcockpit02]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=512,512
visible=1
pixel_size=512,512
texture=$Panel_2

gauge00=;Radio_PA42!RadioAudio,                14,    4,484, 94

gauge01=GAUGE_PA42!Radio_KR87_ADF_2D,             13,  396,485, 100
gauge02=DIGTTRANS_PA42!transponder,           0,  242, 512,130
gauge03=GAUGE_PA42!Radio_KN62A_DME,            13,  113,485, 100
gauge04=GAUGE_PA42!Gauge_DME_HSI,             0,  4,447, 100

gauge05=CARSound_PA42III!CarSound,               0,    0,  1,   1

gauge06=PA42_GPSWX!GPS_WX, 0,0,1,1
gauge07=GAUGE_PA42!TOGA,                           500, 396, 15, 100

----------------------------------------------------------------

To this-------------------------------------------------------

[Vcockpit02]
Background_color=0,0,0
size_mm=512,512
visible=1
pixel_size=512,512
texture=$Panel_2

gauge00=;Radio_PA42!RadioAudio,                14,    4,484, 94

gauge01=GAUGE_PA42!Radio_KR87_ADF_2D,             13,  396,485, 100
gauge02=DIGTTRANS_PA42!transponder,           0,  242, 512,130
gauge03=GAUGE_PA42!Radio_KN62A_DME,            13,  113,485, 100
gauge04=GAUGE_PA42!Gauge_DME_HSI,             0,  4,447, 100

gauge05=CARSound_PA31T!CarSound,               0,    0,  1,   1

gauge06=PA42_GPSWX!GPS_WX, 0,0,1,1
gauge07=GAUGE_PA42!TOGA,                           500, 396, 15, 100

-----------------------------------------------------------

If you don't have the PA31T, and therefore don't have the "Carsound_PA31T.dll" in your gauges folder you may be out of luck.  Carenado won't allow me to redistribute it in unmodified form. 

The modules are standard FSUIPC macros for electric trim and autopilot that have been used in several mods.  I will put together a tutorial later and send it out.  

Hope this helps and hope it gets other folks to report problems.  Effective beta testing requires more eyes than I have.

Regards,

Bill

Edited by whamil77

Hi Bill,

have both II and III. And hell yes, weather radar can be out of sync. Only updated the MV inbuild ones. Will check together with the rest and report back. I was testing GTN panel.

Cheers

T.

Hi Bill, Just wondering if the mod was for P3D only. I sent u a pm regarding no switch clicking sounds, no warning sounds, no seatbelt and no smoking sounds. Also weather radar and adf instrument not working. I sorted the weather radar as per above post.

I have FSX SE.

Edited by Fearless

Regards,

Fred Fleuren

Update.. All sorted Bill. Fixed it in the panel.cfg

4 hours ago, Fearless said:

Hi Bill, Just wondering if the mod was for P3D only. I sent u a pm regarding no switch clicking sounds, no warning sounds, no seatbelt and no smoking sounds. Also weather radar and adf instrument not working. I sorted the weather radar as per above post.

I have FSX SE.

Regards,

Fred Fleuren

7 minutes ago, Fearless said:

Update.. All sorted Bill. Fixed it in the panel.cfg

What did you do?

13 minutes ago, whamil77 said:

What did you do?

I changed the gauge05=CARSound_PA31T!CarSound to gauge05=CARSound_PA42III!CarSound and activated the PA31T radio back to the PA42

Edited by Fearless

Regards,

Fred Fleuren

7 hours ago, Fearless said:

I changed the gauge05=CARSound_PA31T!CarSound to gauge05=CARSound_PA42III!CarSound and activated the PA31T radio back to the PA42

VERY INTERESTING!  I substituted the PA31T sounds because I could never get the PA42 sounds to work.  I thought it was a problem with Carenado's file.  I substituted the PA31T ADF because I couldn't get the knobs to work on the PA42 ADF.  Guess I'll have to take a look at those again.