Sign in to follow this  
asgnp

Stuttering every few seconds

I have 7.2.2... and I had to click the box that says "Low" near application detection. If it is set to "None", you won't see it.

i9-10850K, ASUS TUF GAMING Z490-PLUS (WI-FI), 32GB G.SKILL DDR4-3603 / PC4-28800, EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti BLACK EDITION 11GB running 3440x1440 

On 3/24/2019 at 10:03 AM, w6kd said:

In a related measure, I set my sim machines up to disable last access file stamping, so that a write doesn't occur every time a file is read.

From an administrator-elevated command window type: fsutil behavior set disablelastaccess 1

This works with Win 7 through Win 10, perhaps with others.

Regards

Out of curiosity -- is this configurable via the GUI, or is it a command line only setting?

Does it persist? (i.e. on reboot will it still be set that way)

Here...

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/administration/windows-commands/fsutil-behavior

....all it says is that you must reboot for it to take effect, so I assume it is persistent.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

I'm a little confused how to use this.   Do you have to click on the application every time you prepare to fly?  It minimizes to your tray after you open it.  That would lead me to believe that it only works when you want to activate it.  The posts above would lead me to understand that once you set your parameters and then reboot your computer will always use that refresh rate.  Can someone enlighten me please.

Secondly, the original post indicated that he only set the refresh rate at 2  (1/2 refresh rate) to receive excellent results.  Is it best to set the frame rate limiter at 30 within RTSS?

15 minutes ago, kenthom said:

Is it best to set the frame rate limiter at 30 within RTSS?

Yes, and set the next line down ("Scanline sync x/2) to 60.

RTSS must indeed be started each time you fly... and it's OK if it minimizes to the tray once you start it.  Once it's configured as Anshu described it needs no further attention after starting it for each flight.

HTH,

Greg

26 minutes ago, lownslo said:

Yes, and set the next line down ("Scanline sync x/2) to 60.

RTSS must indeed be started each time you fly... and it's OK if it minimizes to the tray once you start it.  Once it's configured as Anshu described it needs no further attention after starting it for each flight.

HTH,

Greg

To be clear....do you set the digit in Scanline sync to "2"?  Or to "60"?   The number "60" is in the big box on the bottom right side.  I assume it is reading 60 htz.

Never mind, figured it out.  I was reading the directions wrong.  Thanks for the help.

Edited by kenthom
Additional information

Click on "Scanline sync" to make it change to "Scanline sync x/2", then as you noted input "60" in the box to the right (with the blue up/down arrows in it).  I had to click on "Scanline sync" twice to make it show "Scanline sync x/2".

Greg

Yep.  I finally figured that out.  Thanks

5 hours ago, Rogen said:

Hey Anshu, great find!

Almost as smooth as actualy having a 30 Hz monitor, certainly if I was runing a 60 Hz monitor I'd be using this vsync option and now that I've experimented with it I'm surprised LM didn't include such a half vsync option in P3D itself as it would be somewhat of a game changer for smoothness given the otherwise difficulty in achieving high enough fps to match higher monitor refreshrates (such as 60 hz), especially after loading in a few GFX addons.

Found a couple of things.

1), I couldn't get the on screen display to show, but don't really care.

2), I was running reshade, however RTSS wouldn't work with it, not a biggy as I was only running three shaders.

3), I think the reason it is not quite as smooth as P3D's vsync @ 30 Hz is because P3D's vsync also offers a triple buffer, but no matter, RTSS's ability to lock the framerate by vsyncing @ half the refreshrate is clearly a winner for those running 60 hz monitors.

4), With the frame rate locked via RTSS's half vsync to 30 fps there's increased capacity available in the GPU to ramp up those settings for a better looking sim.

Win and win again 🙂

Cheers

On screen display should show if you start MSI Afterburner before you start the sim. Also, sometimes changing the water detail settings can also help.

Asus Strix X570-E  |  Ryzen 9 5950X  |  Asus TUF RTX 3080 OC  |  GSkill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4 3600  |  Samsung 970 EVO  |  Acer Predator XB271HU  |  Windows 10 Pro

Also, its important to note that Scanline sync works best with some GPU headroom. If your GPU load is near or above 80-90% normally, this will create stutters.

Asus Strix X570-E  |  Ryzen 9 5950X  |  Asus TUF RTX 3080 OC  |  GSkill Trident Z Neo 32GB DDR4 3600  |  Samsung 970 EVO  |  Acer Predator XB271HU  |  Windows 10 Pro

47 minutes ago, kenthom said:

Is it best to set the frame rate limiter at 30 within RTSS?

There is no need to set the frame rate limiter within RTSS as the "Scanline sync x/2" means divide by 2 so when the screen refresh rate of 60 is divided by 2 we have 30. Thus 30 fps will be P3D's frame rate and no need for other types of limiting.

Of course you can set it if you want but the frame rate will already be limited to 30 fps (half of the refresh rate assuming 60 hz).

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

P3D 4.5.14, Orbx Global, Vector and more, lotsa planes too.

Catch my vids on Oz Sim Pilot, catch my screen pics @ Screenshots and Prepar3D

5 minutes ago, Anshu said:

On screen display should show if you start MSI Afterburner before you start the sim. Also, sometimes changing the water detail settings can also help. 

Yeah I don't use msi afterburner, ASUS GPU Tweak is what I use, but nothing I've tried makes it show...

No biggy though as I use the NVidia Experience overlay to show the fps.

Cheers

Ryzen 5800X clocked to 4.7 Ghz (SMT off), 32 GB ram, Samsung 1 x 1 TB NVMe 970, 2 x 1 TB SSD 850 Pro raided, Asus Tuf 3080Ti

Do you have to download MSI Afterburner as well?  I only downloaded RTSS.

6 minutes ago, Anshu said:

Also, its important to note that Scanline sync works best with some GPU headroom. If your GPU load is near or above 80-90% normally, this will create stutters.

Yes positively the ideal is to keep your GPU use below 100% and this is where the use of the half refresh rate sync locking the fps @ 30 FPS provides for less load on the GPU than otherwise would occur. All means that will a bit of tuning many settings can be ramped up for a better looking sim.

One thing I've leant is to turn off vegetation shadows as many trees = lots of GPU load for shadowing, especially at dusk/dawn situation where shadows will be long.

Cheers

8 minutes ago, kenthom said:

Do you have to download MSI Afterburner as well?

I don't use it and RTSS works OK for vsyncing for myself.

Cheers