Sign in to follow this  
iwebber

The A340 Part 12 - Crossing the Pacific

Following on from my previous post (here), we're out in Korea and about to head towards the States. There aren't many A340 operators in the US anymore but United run a 789 from Seoul to SFO and from there we can find an A340 to fly.

UAL892 parked up at RKSI, I've remembered to activate the scenery (works fine in P3Dv4) and AS is communicating just fine... what could possibly go wrong?
uc?id=1pncK0qFlLRvelm6AoDXgbrLVm9ioCInT

A bit of a murky afternoon, we're pushing at 5:05pm local and the light is just starting to fade.
uc?id=1LEzBrK0vR96qg5fK4OaZ47jwhVlLOzrv

Taxiing out looking over at the cargo apron...
uc?id=1HQdF1uFsOgs_Cx6Gf1qbN73OaQCys2Am

...and Korean Air's main terminal.
uc?id=147_gvr3poSBqMqZSv0Q5jTnIQ8nDYro5

Pax eye view shortly after take off, admiring the local terrain close to the airport.
uc?id=1yZNh_STyOEyoZDtyaMioUCAE0aWoc-xt

uc?id=1nMZd4bXiZMdaRXtGCznmmXE6JXZ6Sjge

uc?id=1aGC84RWJPsdX4PvGgLk7vP3_g1jjzQRr

Into the murk...
uc?id=1RFAR8QkXNC-d4zBF7tkLhFWxieTQhIzW

Above the clouds now with the moon clearly in view.
uc?id=1Ws__55EfDDLcQ0i03-4PzgDrPq_kkzYI

Local 747-8 descending towards the airport.
uc?id=1lch8N5iPR7-51xH21GmfGQtqnZwlKJyE

Clouds breaking up as we make our way east.
uc?id=1AELCOx5xEeTIkGK6RLzd5xidxoClAFsm

Sun setting as we head out over the Pacific, it's a long way over water.
uc?id=13cUtU1di5Y6YnQC6TdVxWOWrl8xloRxr

After an accelerated night I notice this Air China triple coming back the other way.
uc?id=1LVPIWKghmBvyOviCxtp-gx4AbOaVKXqq

Some local traffic hacking back and forward to Hawaii.
uc?id=1WlnT4ySaEvxHzJST4DDdeLWVsjHssVzZ

uc?id=1unnKxdPqg4SCYqiago7BlaboLF79v5SD

In sight of the mainland now.
uc?id=1cdtN07tqRO7lgSAxC7C1Fnum1mndUIPq

Heading down the coast towards the bay
uc?id=1uijnmQtChRqU6xw9ENANdBosu_K2F04P

Some minor (but unsightly) texture anomolies during the approach that ruining most of my pics. I fixed them with a refresh of the files from FTX Central but, obviously, only after the flight.

Short final to 28R
uc?id=1NPWrBEQEkJ7sMqBLV9K24afkQGS2BERz

Final pax view of our deceleration, this is the old (non HD) KSFO from Flightbeam and the jetways were a bit wonky so no parked pics.
uc?id=1dP7m-v8BfrtuWCjreixY_vwHB4f5l8EV

At this point, aerosoft released the A320/321 and iFly released the HD update to the P3Dv4 737NG. I couldn't help myself do a few flights with these 2 (here) before finding another Lufty A340 (600 this time) to Munich (here).

Edited by iwebber
  • Like 1

Nice pics, I enjoy the series!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

When I crossed the Pacific for the first time and only time (well, actually I returned across it too so it was not the only time lol), what I remember most after the long transit from SFO and over the Aleutians, which I saw enroute, was Mt. Fuji coming out of the green land of Japan.  But during the flight I was thoughtful about the KAL flight that had strayed too close to the Russian coast, but due to open skies after the KAL flight and the fall of the Soviet Union, my flight was the only time in my life I had flown over the territory of Russia as I saw the eerie landscape of Kamchatka some hours before landing in Japan.

I was amazed how much the geography of Japan looked like the geography of NoCal where I lived, since we had Mt. Lassen and Mt. Shasta, our Mt. Fuji's.  And in the Bay Area we had the short sub four thousand foot Mt. Diablo which although low in height is said to have the widest vista of any mountain on the planet, aside from Kilimanjaro which I find amazing. 

It is true atop Mt. Diablo one can gaze 150 miles south down the San Joaquin Valley and 150 miles north or more, up the Sacramento Valley and it is possible on a clear day to see the tall slumbering Mt. Shasta.  I had to implement some software and install a network at a motel/hotel, the Best Western then in '97, in the town of Mt. Shasta. 

The owners told me that locals used to climb to the top of Mt. Shasta and light fires to scare people into believing an eruption was happening.  Whether that is true or not I do not know but knowing the practical jokes I have played in my life, I can believe someone would play a joke like that although the rarified air at 14,000 plus feet might be a challenge to handle.

John