Sign in to follow this  
bernd1151

Anchorage to Cold Bay, Aleutian Islands

Ortho4XP, DC 8-61 from Michael Wilson (payware)

1.jpg

As soon as these guys are gone, we can leave

3.jpg

A closer look at the (noisy and smoky) Pratt & Whitney JT3D turbofan engine

4.jpg

I just hope, you are not going to hit us, Mr. “Austin Meyer always has gas”

5.jpg

6.jpg

7.jpg

Did I mention that we smoke?

8.jpg

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

Passing Homer

12.jpg

13.jpg

14.jpg

And over Kodiak

15.jpg

16.jpg

Getting closer to Cold Bay with the Cold Bay Volcano in the distance

17.jpg 

18.jpg

Welcome to Cold Bay. Built in WWII, it was used with its 10,200 ft long runway for many years as emergency airport. Today it is mostly used for freight runs

19.jpg 

21.jpg

Cold Bay has a population of around 110, which means we still have spare capacity in our DC 8 😊

Thanks for viewing

• Like 4
  • Upvote 3

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Beautiful scenery and aircraft!

Intel i-9 13900KF @ 6.0 Ghz, MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X 24GB, MSI MAG CORELIQUID C360, MSI Z790 A-PRO WIFI, MSI MPG A1000G 1000W, G.SKILL 48Gb@76000 MHz DDR5, MSI SPATIUM M480 PCIe 4.0 NVMe M.2 2TB, Windows 11 Pro Ghost Spectre x64

“We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the day and night to visit violence on those who would do us harm”.

8 hours ago, bernd1151 said:

Did I mention that we smoke?

That's what a classic plane is supposed to do. And this scenery is in need of a classic plane.

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

Beautiful set of screenshots! :cool: "Smoke 'em if you've got 'em" ?? :biggrin:

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

Really nice ! Love the DC-8 🙂

Guillaume

YouTube Channel : The Flying Frog (P3D flying)

My Flickr Gallery : clicky clicky

CPU: Ryzen 5800X3D at 4.5 Ghz Motherboard: Gigabyte AORUS X470 Ultra Gaming RAM: 32 Gb GPU: 1x RTX 2080 TI OS : Win 10 PRO Display : Philips BD4350UC (4K 43" display) + 1 AOC 21" FHD side display
Hardware: Virpil WarBRD Base with WarBRD Grip OR Warthog Grip, VPC ACE Collection Rudder Pedals, Honeycomb Bravo Throttle, Goflight MCP Pro, 2x Saitek Radios, 1x Saitek Multipanel, 1x Saitek Proflight Switch, Custom homecockpit.

Beautiful plane all-over - in fitting scenery!

Especially, the engines look so marvelous with their metallic glow!

What a pencil hehe!  Great shots!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

6 hours ago, HaraldG said:

And this scenery is in need of a classic plane.

What scenery?  I have looked for a good Aleutian Islands scenery since FS2000 or before.  I was once in the mod 80's on a United Airlines 747 that made an emergency landing at Adak.  What an incredible experience. Military base.  We were not allowed to deplane. we could look to the south and see north facing snow and ice encrusted mountains, and look to the north and see green tundra south facing mountains.  Was like something out of the Twilight Zone, if you recall that TV show.  I have not since found representative or photo real scenery for the Aleutians. Point me in that direction if there is one.

Edited by fppilot

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

Nice shots !     Thanks for sharing......

MSFS2020

MICHAEL J     proud supporter

KJAX   FLORIDA

Many thanks for your kind comments, gents

6 hours ago, ryanbatcund said:

What a pencil hehe! 

Hahaha, you are right, Ryan

Any attempt to stretch fuel is guaranteed to increase headwinds

My specs: AMD Radeon RX6700XT, AMD Ryzen 9 5900X, 32GB RAM, 34" monitor, screen resolution: 2560x1080

Nice set of scenery, I saw the Aleutians once, on my way to Narita back in '92 as they peaked out from under the clouds and rain I was flying thru in October of that year....  I did not see them on the return leg however as we were further south to take advantage of the Jet Stream....  I was supposed to fly into Anchorage on my next scheduled business systems install in 2000 but I left my company for another company right before the scheduled trip.  I had to give ample notice so my former colleague could take my place as lead on that trip.  He said it was a difficult and challenging trip with a problematic and resistant client, but he enjoyed the Alaska scenery on the drive down from Anchorage to the clients site.  My parents took a wonderful Alaska cruise from Alaska all the way down to British Columbia, their last cruise ever.

John