I just got home from the hospital. I did a lot of thinking about FSX while I was there. My son gave me a book about military aircraft from pre-WWII till current times.

I have been running FSX on a XP machine. I have had to upgrade most of my computers to W7.

I take it FSX SE is the replacment for FSX. Will my old FSX sim objects and scenery work with FSX SE?

Bob Macklin

Seattle, Wa

Give 'em a try, I don't see why not!  I'm still running FSX on an XP machine,  😱

I still run FSX on an XP computer, but if I were to build a new computer, the OS would have to be Windows 7 or 10.  With a fresh installation of the OS, I would either jump to FSX:SE or go to P3Dv4.  As far as I know, just about everything that worked with FSX boxed version will work with FSX:SE.  I've also heard that installation of add on software with FSX:SE works best when FSX:SE is the only version ever installed on the computer. 

Thanks,

I'll try FSX SE on payday (next week). I have 3 copies of FSX but all installations have been used.

And 2 of my 3 XP machines have died of old age. They have been replaced by W7 machines because MS woun't allow you to install XP on a new machine. And W7 runs out in Jan. 2020.

The FSX SE info says it will install on a XP machine.

Bob Macklin

Seattle, Wa

Bob--unless you have installed your copies of FSX fairly recently, you should be able to reinstall them.  As I remember it, the MS activation servers will unlock a license key after something like 6 months after it was installed.

FSX:SE will run most, but not all, titles developed for the boxed FSX.  And there is some hassle in getting some of those that do work installed in SE if the installers weren't updated for the changes in the directory structure.

If I were you, I'd first try installing one of those boxed copies to Win 7.  Boxed FSX works well in Win 7.

Also, FWIW, Prepar3D is the replacement for FSX.  FSX:SE was a very minor update to make it run on the Steam platform.  It does memory management a little (and just a little) bit better than the boxed version.  But FSX has really been left behind by P3D, which is still being actively developed by Lockheed Martin.

Regards

My concern is will my FSX sim objects and scenery (ADE) run on P3D?

Bob Macklin

Seattle, Wa

3 hours ago, stans said:

I still run FSX on an XP computer, but if I were to build a new computer, the OS would have to be Windows 7 or 10.

Microsoft is ending support for Windows 7 by January 2020 including security updates and Defender updates.  Also customer support.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-7-end-of-life-support-information

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, macklinbob said:

My concern is will my FSX sim objects and scenery (ADE) run on P3D?

Bob Macklin

Seattle, Wa

Should be asked and answered on the P3D forum, this is a FSX forum.

Edited by airernie

18 hours ago, fppilot said:

Microsoft is ending support for Windows 7 by January 2020 including security updates and Defender updates.  Also customer support.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/windows-7-end-of-life-support-information

Yes, and as painful as it is for some to think about, it is a Windows 10 world and my next build will have to be a Windows 10 machine.

I have FSX:SE installed on the new computer and it is running.

I have copied my simobjects and addon scenery to the new installation and all seems to be working.

I know FSX has list of saved flights.

I would like to copy this list from the old computer. I don't want to have to start over.

Where is this list?

Bob Macklin

Seattle, Wa

Posted (edited)

They should be in your My Documents\Flight Simulator X Files directory or something similar.

Edited by airernie

38 minutes ago, macklinbob said:

I know that much but what is the name of the file?

Bob Macklin

Seattle, Wa

The ones I marked in red are typical saved "Flight Plans".  The one I marked in green is my default flight which is a "saved Flight".

flight plans.JPG

I have FSX installed on an old XP machine.

I am trying to find the flight info on this machine so I can copy it to the new W7 machine.

What is the file name and where is it hidden?

Bob Macklin

FSX has a list of saved flights?  Are these flights that you created?  Are you talking about Missions?  Are you referring to the Logbook.bin which are all of your takeoffs and landings?

On the Free Flight page I can setup a flight.

I can then save this flight and make it my default flight if I want to.

Where is this list kept. What is the filename?

Bob Macklin

Your Default flight is kept on your computer in My Documents/Flight Simulator X Files folder.  In my screenshot I put a green arrow pointing to my default flight. It's name is whatever you called your flight with a .FSSAVE at the end.

5 hours ago, macklinbob said:

I know that much but what is the name of the file?

Bob Macklin

Seattle, Wa

Your original question was "Where is this list?". 

Had it been where and what I would have provided that answer.

Ernie