Having both on the same drive..... any reason not to put both on a 2tb M.2?

Looking to build a new system with 9900K & 2080TI.

Need a quick response if possible. Many thanks for any help.

Dave

Not a problem with them both on a large SSD. 

I keep my OS on a separate SSD because it makes Win 10 backups go much faster--I do them often because of the number of times I've been burned by updates appearing out of nowhere and breaking things.

Have fun with your new build!

Regards

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Nothing to stop you but since W98 I have always put windows on my C Drive labelled windows and my sims on another partition or drive, that way if windows falls over and needs reinstall I only reformate my C drive, my sim and addons are safe and gives me time  sort it out and backup what I need.

• Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

4 hours ago, rjfry said:

Nothing to stop you but since W98 I have always put windows on my C Drive labelled windows and my sims on another partition or drive, that way if windows falls over and needs reinstall I only reformate my C drive, my sim and addons are safe and gives me time  sort it out and backup what I need.

As you know there are software that puts on drive C serial numbers and other information and when you re-format drive C those particular software (Ex P3D, PMDG, FSLABS etc) will get deactivated being unable to find all the necessary codes.

I would read more about it to prevent an unexpected bad surprise.

• Upvote 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

6 hours ago, killthespam said:

As you know there are software that puts on drive C serial numbers and other information and when you re-format drive C those particular software (Ex P3D, PMDG, FSLABS etc) will get deactivated being unable to find all the necessary codes.

I would read more about it to prevent an unexpected bad surprise.

I know this but you can recover and reactivate your software, I reformatted my C Drive several times when running windows XP without loosing my flight sim software I ran FS2002 FS2400 and FSX on there own separate partition, reformatting my C cleaned out windows bloatware that starts slowing down your PC. All programmes put something on your C drive to link to the registry that how the space on your C drive starts to shrink even if you only have windows installed there , and Windows 10 now reserves 7GB of free space on your windows drive  that user cannot access.    

• Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

There are free recovery software that you can copy or image drive C (in your case) when is running perfect and the process takes only a few minutes versus a full installation.

Please don't misunderstand me, I'm not telling you what to do. I'm just sharing with you how I lost unnecessary time re-installing the OS instead using a recovery option. 

• Upvote 1

I9- 13900K- CPU @ 5.0GHz, 64 GB RAM @ 6200MHz, NVIDIA RTX 4090

Yes and am stating why I do it my way it all comes down to how the user want`s to setup there PC, bear mind you will not be installing a new OS later so W10 will be running as long as you have the PC, and as I stated with XP I ran for near 10 years reformatting my C drive was a spring clean and breathed new life into home build flight PC, I reinstalled XP at least every two years.

And I only use P3D I may do the same when P3Dv5 is released as I will be doing a full P3D install on my D drive.

Edited by rjfry
  • Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.

I decided to go with a 500 gig m.2 for the O/S and a second 2TB M.2 for use with flight P3d.

Thanks very much for all replies.

Dave

Setting your sim PC up the way you want is the best way just to add I have never since windows 95 had to reinstall windows due to a crash, but I plan for the worst when I setup my flight sim PCs.

• Upvote 1

Raymond Fry.