Sign in to follow this  
SledDriver

High altitude black day skies are now blue

When I first installed P3D last week, any daytime flights to extreme altitudes showed, as expected, a darkening sky, tending to black as the altitude increased.

I have now added SkyForce3D, EnvTex, EnvShade, ASP4 and ASCA to the installation, and now I don't get those desired black skies - now they are dark blue, and not that dark either.

Any ideas what might be causing the difference?

I believe I'm configured for:

SkyForce3D - cloud textures
EnvTex - other textures apart from clouds
EnvShade - Shader stuff
ASP4 - Weather engine
ASCA - I assume this is still doing cloud structures?

I should add that I was using PTA for a short while before deconfiguring that according to the instructions and moving to EnvShade.

Edited by SledDriver

What altitudes are you talking about?  The skies shouldn't be tending to blacken at conventional airliner altitudes as there is still enough light reflection in the atmosphere.  

Edited by ErichB

6 hours ago, SledDriver said:

EnvShade

This is most probably your culprit...it alters the shaders used by P3D

• Like 1

Devin Pollock
CYOW

BetaTeamB.png

6 hours ago, netshadoe said:

This is most probably your culprit...it alters the shaders used by P3D

Sure. Can I change a preset in EnvShade like I could in PTA?

No, I am sure that the sky textures are your culprit. Most sky texture packages are primarily designed for subsonic cruise altitudes. I know that Envtex will provide a supersonic texture set in their next update that is specifically intended for high-altitude flights with a darker sky.

Aside from that, it should be noted that the sky does not quite become black even at altitudes FL500+. 

(To check that it's not Envshade that's the culprit, you can revert back to P3D default sky textures, which are not bad during daytime IMO. I am certain that you will see darker skies even with the shaders).

Edited by Afterburner

Thanks for that. Good to know they are on they job.

They do refer to the skies above as 'black' on U2 flights at 70,000ft. It would be nice to simulate that.

7mins54secs into this 😊