Sign in to follow this  
cip95

PMDG NGX & Maddog X

42 minutes ago, Pilot53 said:

Wrong, the maddog for P3D is a redesigned addon, with many new features, textures, code, systems, visuals etc.  The NGX for p3d is no different from the fsx version in terms or features, systems, visuals, etc. it is a p3d port nothing more, any changes in code were done in order for the addon to function in the p3d environment.  I have both, they are both good addons with different strengths and weaknesses.  But if I had to choose between one in 2019 it would be the maddog, it is in active development and has more modern features like advanced icing simulation, pbr, rain effects, more failures (NGX does not simulate hot starts if you introduce fuel too early), and the cockpit is the right shape and looks amazing in VR.  The are a few things wrong with the engine indications but they will be fixed in the next beta I am told.

No, the PMDG 737 wasn't massively "redesigned" like the Maddog X...OTOH, it didn't really need to be.  The last version of the Maddog definitely DID need to be--it first released without a VC at all, and the one that was later delivered was nothing short of substandard, even back in those days.  So I prefer to think of the NGX as having been designed right the first time, and not in need of a lot of changes to the UI or the modelling to work well as it made the transition, first to 32-bit P3D, then to the 64-bit platform.  To be honest, I really like the fact that my well-worn 737NGX has worked just like it always has across four different platforms now.

A lot of the new bells and whistles are, IMHO, somewhat overemphasized in these discussions.  For example, a FADEC-controlled engine like the CFM56 on a 737 NG won't give you a hot start if you select "run" too early because the computer controlling the engine's fuel control will still wait for sufficient RPM before pressurizing the fuel manifolds.  The fact that the CFM56 doesn't behave like a JT-8 is a feature, not a bug.  Someone up-thread described experiencing an engine failure on the Maddog if you overboost the engine on takeoff...IRL, you'd have to do that probably hundreds of times to induce an engine failure, and the first time you do it the engine's gonna get pulled and inspected before it flies again (probably after the chief pilot has advised you to update your resume).

Anyway, the "new" Maddog X looks to be a real improvement on the old one.  The "new" PMDG 737 in P3D is more a continuation of a long-running success story.  They're both good add-ons, and there are lots of good reasons one might prefer one over the other either way. 

Regards

• Upvote 1

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case

Ok ok guys, it seems the topic is loosing its initial purpose!

I remake my core answer: I want to know which of these 2 aircrafts is more “realistic” (close to the real ones) mainly about AFDS, flight behaviour, performance etc if we put them on the side of the real ones.

I want to put also the PMDG 777 into this fight so tell me also about it! 

Well unless there is a rated pilot of all 3, who is anyone here qualified to tell you?

Also, you're asking about 3 completely different aircraft.

The PMDG 777 is by far the best twin long haul aircraft we can buy.

The PMDG NG even after all this time is a truly wonderfully aircraft and is perfect for short hopes. The only aircraft that is better within this class is IMO the very best aircraft for everything you describe you want its the FSL A320/A319.

Lastly, The MadDog is by far the best in class but it's an old quirky aircraft, does that appeal to you?

But if you're after the finest aircraft for the reasons you state wait for the update come from FSL for the A320/A319 (hopefully next week) and you will have the best of everything you ask.

But asking whats best 777/NG/MD-80 is an odd question. But the one that appeals to you the most is the one to go for as you really cannot go wrong.

Edited by Nyxx
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

15 minutes ago, Nyxx said:

Well unless there is a rated pilot of all 3, who is anyone here qualified to tell you?

Also, you're asking about 3 completely different aircraft.

The PMDG 777 is by far the best twin long haul aircraft we can buy.

The PMDG NG even after all this time is a truly wonderfully aircraft and is perfect for short hopes. The only aircraft that is better within this class is IMO the very best aircraft for everything you describe you want its the FSL A320/A319.

Lastly, The MadDog is by far the best in class but it's an old quirky aircraft, does that appeal to you?

But if you're after the finest aircraft for the reasons you state wait for the update come from FSL for the A320/A319 (hopefully next week) and you will have the best of everything you ask.

But asking whats best 777/NG/MD-80 is an odd question. But the one that appeals to you the most is the one to go for as you really cannot go wrong.

Ok... so, and a comparison between FSL A320/A319 and PMDG 777 in these terms? (I know they are different aircraft, I doesn't matter, this is not the core point).

43 minutes ago, cip95 said:

Ok... so, and a comparison between FSL A320/A319 and PMDG 777 in these terms? (I know they are different aircraft, I doesn't matter, this is not the core point).

Holy cow,  This is so simple.  If you want to fly an Airbus buy the FSL.  If you want a 737, 777, or 747 buy PMDG.  If you want a MD80 series buy the maddog X.  

Edited by mpw8679
  • Upvote 3

Matt Wilson

45 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

Holy cow,  This is so simple.  If you want to fly an Airbus buy the FSL.  If you want a 737, 777, or 747 buy PMDG.  If you want a MD80 series buy the maddog X.  

If you want GA buy A2A planes.😁

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

16 minutes ago, JLuis said:

Don't forget Vertx. 😉

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, JLuis said:

+1

Matt Wilson

On 3/27/2019 at 1:58 PM, thibodba57 said:

I have a few hundred hours flying the Maddog (the real one) and I've been on the Beta team for Leonardo since before the release. There's the disclaimer.  Get the Maddog.  The feel of the aircraft is top notch, you'll be hard pressed to find a system that's not modelled.  The biggest downfall is you should purchase the TSS sound pack.  If you want a plane that will keep you busy and force you to read up on it it's definitely the way to go.  If you just want to babysit one, get the NGX.  If you want both get the iFly 73.  Pretty much the same as the NGX (yes this is true no matter what  anyone says) with cheaper price tag.

BAsiclly they are both good, but the leo maddog is UNBEATTABLE as to features/usd with its 80 eur pricetag, unlike the already old 737 that is good but costs about half more. ONe defect: engine sounds. I highly recommend the tss pack, it's only 10 bucks so nothing that will break the bank. And it just feels more lively, more... FUN. And fps are good in both too. I'd say get both, but the maddog first.

3 hours ago, cip95 said:

FSL is the most complex moden jet airline you could buy.

• Upvote 1

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip