Sign in to follow this  
dray007

Hotstart TBM900 for bush flying?

Hello, i have a plan to buy this addon. but it is good for bush flying? im going to operate in papua with small airstrip, grass runway , high altitude airport etc. I know theres other bush aircraft like Twin Otter , pc-6 that more suitable with bush operation but i prefer this addon because theres Synthetic Vision on it for helping me flying between mountainoius region.

Thank you.

Dray

Dray Langley

I don't own that aircraft, so consider that for these comments.

First, any smaller single engine turboprop like this might work for bush operations because you can stop quickly with reverse prop. It's mainly about how rugged the landing gear is and how much ground clearance. I like the Pilatus PC-12 for this kind of thing, a plane that was actually designed for STOL operations on rough runways. 

The Hotstart TBM900 has some features I'm not a fan of, which is why I haven't bought it yet. There is a wear and tear + maintenance plugin that apparently can't be disabled (someone correct me if I'm wrong about that). Also, it can't be started with engine and systems running on the runway (ditto), so cold start every time. I'm the kinda guy that likes to jump into a plane and fly, without having to go through a cold start every time. So keep that in mind.

If you decide on the Carenado PC-12 instead, I'd suggest waiting until they update the current XP11 model. It still sort of works okay, but there are some issues with the current version and you'll probably want the update. Should be here shortly -- a few weeks maybe? 

Another one you might consider is the payware Thranda Kodiak Quest 1000. Not as fast as the TBM900 or the PC-12, but a rugged bush plane with some cool features.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

The wear and tear can be switched between normal and accelerated.

This aircraft is really something else. Check some youtube videos for a detailed look.

As far as STOL goes, if you like a challenge, i guess so. I've found it to be quite the handful during takeoff. No wonder considering the HP available.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

The TBM is a work of art. I would say that the whole point with it is that you have to keep an eye on maintenance and start it up from cold each time. I love that it saves the state you leave it into your next session. I would love to have this feature with every aircraft I have! Really recommend this aircraft! However I am unsure as to how appropriate it is for bushflying compared to for example a Twotter. 

(Starting it from Cold and dark doesn't take many minutes to do either). 

• Like 1

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

9 hours ago, RichieFly said:

The wear and tear can be switched between normal and accelerated.

This aircraft is really something else. Check some youtube videos for a detailed look.

As far as STOL goes, if you like a challenge, i guess so. I've found it to be quite the handful during takeoff. No wonder considering the HP available.

Can the wear & tear be disabled? So that it behaves like any other addon plane. Im also interested in it but the maintenance simulation side of it has no interest for me at all.

2 hours ago, ThrottleUp said:

Can the wear & tear be disabled? So that it behaves like any other addon plane. Im also interested in it but the maintenance simulation side of it has no interest for me at all.

I don't think it can be turned off. However, it isn't all that complicated. You have a "maintenance"-tab and if you click on it after a particularly hard landing you can see that, for example, there has been damage to the gear you can simply click on either "repair" or "replace" (depending on how much money you will "spend"). 

• Like 1

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

15 hours ago, Paraffin said:

If you decide on the Carenado PC-12 instead, I'd suggest waiting until they update the current XP11 model. It still sort of works okay, but there are some issues with the current version and you'll probably want the update. Should be here shortly -- a few weeks maybe?

Hey Paraffin... I was just at the Carenado store ready to purchase the PC12 as an alternative to the TBM900 as I'm in the boat of not liking some of the items mentioned along with loathing the G1000.

The aircraft is listed as XP11 so can I ask what the issues are?

35 minutes ago, Robert Edwards said:

Hey Paraffin... I was just at the Carenado store ready to purchase the PC12 as an alternative to the TBM900 as I'm in the boat of not liking some of the items mentioned along with loathing the G1000.

The aircraft is listed as XP11 so can I ask what the issues are?

I'm flying the current XP-11 Carenado PC-12 frequently in the FSEconomy game, so it's definitely flyable. Things that will be fixed in the update:

There is an annoying clicking sound in the background that I mainly hear just after takeoff. There is a fix mentioned somewhere in the Carenado/Alabeo support forum over at the .org, but I haven't bothered with it.

There have been some changes in how X-Plane models turboprops in 11.30, which means the current PC-12 won't quite hit the performance numbers, but it's nothing drastic. Ground handling is a bit squirrely, especially when engaging prop reverse. Carenado (or rather Thranda, I guess) is altering the handling in the air so the plane feels a little more heavy, more steady like the real thing.

None of this is too serious, and the free update from Carenado should be out very soon.

BTW, I'm not a fan of the G1000 either. I just use the default GNS530, but the plane also supports the payware RealityXP GTN750 if you want something a little more full-featured.

If you buy the PC-12 from the .org, store, make sure it's the XP11 version because they're still selling the one for XP10. Note also, that the updated version will probably show up first on Carenado's own storefront. There is usually a small delay of a week or so before updates show up at the .org storefront. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Thanks for the info Parrafin - - yes doesn't sound too bad. I will purchase from the Carenado store. Thanks again.

4 hours ago, Swe_Richard said:

I don't think it can be turned off. However, it isn't all that complicated. You have a "maintenance"-tab and if you click on it after a particularly hard landing you can see that, for example, there has been damage to the gear you can simply click on either "repair" or "replace" (depending on how much money you will "spend"). 

Thanks for this information. Yeah thats not too bad, I watched a YT vid of it and it looks amazing. They have done a lot of work on it. 

• Like 1

thanks all for the reply and your opinion really appreciate that, one thing. Does SVS work all over the world? or only some region? 

Dray Langley

If it's installed in X-Plane as terrain data and scenery data, the SVS will read it.  

I just bought the tbm900, and all I do is bush flying. Looks like you do have to cold start every time, but it's fast and easy. I just landed it at 2AZ5, loaded 3 passenger (for onair company) and barely cleared the fence on takeoff, the runway was a very small dirt strip. Thrust reverse and decent power are always good for Bush flying. 

The maintenance thing is just a matter of checking to see what you broke on the last landing. It actually kinda grows on you.