Sign in to follow this  
flyinion

How to get an updated version of the Fixer?

I bought my copy of the DX10 Fixer from the what appears to now be dead FSS site.  Well, it's still up, but doesn't seem to be hosting the updated versions and Steve seems to be selling it on another site now.  Is there a way to get access to the new versions? Or will I need to purchase it all over again from the new location if I want the updated version?

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

1 hour ago, flyinion said:

I bought my copy of the DX10 Fixer from the what appears to now be dead FSS site.  Well, it's still up, but doesn't seem to be hosting the updated versions and Steve seems to be selling it on another site now.  Is there a way to get access to the new versions? Or will I need to purchase it all over again from the new location if I want the updated version?

Same here!

1 hour ago, flyinion said:

Is there a way to get access to the new versions?

1 minute ago, RamonB said:

Same here!

You will likely find answers at this site:
https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/how-to-purchase/

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

46 minutes ago, fppilot said:

You will likely find answers at this site:
https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/how-to-purchase/

That doesn't really help.  I purchased it years ago from Flightsim Store who now seems to not be hosting the newest updates.  I was trying to avoid having to buy it again.  I didn't know if there was a way to get the purchase transferred somehow to the new working store.  Since it was sold through FSS for years I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering this.

AMD Ryzen 5950X |  Asus Crosshair VIII Hero | Gigabyte Gaming OC 4090 w/EK waterblock | Full Custom Loop Cooling | GSkill Trident Z Neo 2x16GB DDR4-3600 | Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB | Samsung 860 Evo 2TB | Phanteks Enthoo 719 | Seasonic Prime Ultra Gold 1000W | Steelseries M750 TKL | SteelSeries Prime Wireless | Honeycomb Alpha and Bravo | Logitech Pro Flight Pedals | LG 34GN850 | Asus PG279Q | Win 11 Pro

Try this link - it may help.

https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/2019/01/17/cloud-shadows-2-0/

I quote directly from that page: 

Note that this will patch the fixer internals to 4.0 which should assist Flight Sim Store customers who can no longer get updates.

Anyway - Steve may well be along soon. He is quite active in his part of the AVSIM forum.

Edited by HighBypass
addition
  • Like 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

1 hour ago, HighBypass said:

Try this link - it may help.

https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/2019/01/17/cloud-shadows-2-0/

I quote directly from that page: 

Anyway - Steve may well be along soon. He is quite active in his part of the AVSIM forum.

Thanks.  I think I did see that on the site when I looked a little while back, but since I don't have the cloud shadows addon (it's new while I've been away from FSX) I assumed I couldn't use that update.  Anyway, yeah I've seen he's pretty active so just waiting 🙂

Edited by flyinion

2 hours ago, flyinion said:

That doesn't really help.  I purchased it years ago from Flightsim Store who now seems to not be hosting the newest updates.  I was trying to avoid having to buy it again.  I didn't know if there was a way to get the purchase transferred somehow to the new working store.  Since it was sold through FSS for years I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering this.

Why not go the site I pointed to and leave a message for Steve?  He appears to have helped others.

Frank Patton
MasterCase Pro H500M; MSI Z490 WiFi MOB; i7 10700k 3.8 Ghz; Gigabyte RTX 3080 12gb OC; H100i Pro liquid cooler; 32GB DDR4 3600;  Gold RMX850X PSU;
ASUS 
VG289 4K 27" Monitor; Honeycomb Alpha & Bravo, Crosswind 3's w/dampener.  
Former USAF meteorologist & ground weather school instructor. AOPA Member #07379126

"I will never put my name on a product that does not have in it the best that is in me." - John Deere

I stopped selling by the flight sim store over 4 years ago,  Over the years I have provided updates for no charge.  The last version that the flight sim store took from me was 3.4 about 18 months ago.

You should still be able to download that version 3.4  from the flight sim store site.

The flight sim store issued their own licenses and built their own installer so I have no way to provide new versions. 

There  have been two updates since then for fastspring customers only 3.5 and the latest version 4.0.

3.5 was quite minor.

4.0 is more significant, it is  more reliable with effects which occasionally might flash on and off in some scenarios with 3.4 It also renders  legacy scenery at night much closer to the original dx9.

As Mark states I have provided a mechanism for FSS customers to get the latest fixer version via the separately licensed cloud shadows addon, without having to buy the fixer again.

So if you purchase cloud shadows from my site then the installer will patch an installed flight sim store version 3.4 to 4.0 and of course give you shadows under clouds.

Edited by SteveFx
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, SteveFx said:

I stopped selling by the flight sim store over 4 years ago,  Over the years I have provided updates for no charge.  The last version that the flight sim store took from me was 3.4 about 18 months ago.

You should still be able to download that version 3.4  from the flight sim store site.

The flight sim store issued their own licenses and built their own installer so I have no way to provide new versions. 

There  have been two updates since then for fastspring customers only 3.5 and the latest version 4.0.

3.5 was quite minor.

4.0 is more significant, it is  more reliable with effects which occasionally might flash on and off in some scenarios with 3.4 It also renders  legacy scenery at night much closer to the original dx9.

As Mark states I have provided a mechanism for FSS customers to get the latest fixer version via the separately licensed cloud shadows addon, without having to buy the fixer again.

So if you purchase cloud shadows from my site then the installer will patch an installed flight sim store version 3.4 to 4.0 and of course give you shadows under clouds.

Ok, thanks for the info Steve.  I'll check out the addon and see if it will work for me.  I've been out of the game for a while so I don't really know anything about it or it's potential performance impacts.  It's definitely something I'd be interested in using in general though.  I know a few years ago REX was posting teaser shots of a similar functionality but I don't think it ever happened.

At the risk of sounding like a word not allowed - Cloud Shadows really does wonders for the immersion factor! If you liked running with DX10 previously Charles, then Cloud Shadows should hopefully allow you to enjoy a fixed DX10 once more, but with a great add-on. Looking at the spec sheet in your signature, I cannot imagine having any performance issues...

(OK I AM a word not allowed! :blush:) EDIT - oh I never realised that word would be censored.. "a young man who really supports a particular aspect of a hobby" you know what I mean.

Edited by HighBypass
meaning

Mark Robinson

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

5 hours ago, HighBypass said:

(OK I AM a word not allowed! :blush:) EDIT - oh I never realised that word would be censored.. "a young man who really supports a particular aspect of a hobby" you know what I mean.

Not sure what you mean Mark.  Please PM me and give me the word you were trying to post (you might have to separate the word such as "g r e a t".

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

(Jim and I have exchanged PMs on the matter) The word I was trying to use, applying it to myself and not anyone else (context is key here) was f a n b o y. :biggrin:

Mark Robinson

On 3/29/2019 at 11:41 AM, HighBypass said:

At the risk of sounding like a word not allowed - Cloud Shadows really does wonders for the immersion factor! If you liked running with DX10 previously Charles, then Cloud Shadows should hopefully allow you to enjoy a fixed DX10 once more, but with a great add-on. Looking at the spec sheet in your signature, I cannot imagine having any performance issues...

Thanks.  Yeah I know the system itself can probably run the addon in general just fine.  I just wasn't sure about when it gets combined with OrbX regions and stuff like PMDG aircraft 🙂  

• Upvote 1