flyinion

How to get an updated version of the Fixer?

Recommended Posts

I bought my copy of the DX10 Fixer from the what appears to now be dead FSS site.  Well, it's still up, but doesn't seem to be hosting the updated versions and Steve seems to be selling it on another site now.  Is there a way to get access to the new versions? Or will I need to purchase it all over again from the new location if I want the updated version?

Share this post


Link to post
Help AVSIM continue to serve you!
Please donate today!

1 hour ago, flyinion said:

I bought my copy of the DX10 Fixer from the what appears to now be dead FSS site.  Well, it's still up, but doesn't seem to be hosting the updated versions and Steve seems to be selling it on another site now.  Is there a way to get access to the new versions? Or will I need to purchase it all over again from the new location if I want the updated version?

Same here!

Share this post


Link to post
46 minutes ago, fppilot said:

 

You will likely find answers at this site:
https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/how-to-purchase/

That doesn't really help.  I purchased it years ago from Flightsim Store who now seems to not be hosting the newest updates.  I was trying to avoid having to buy it again.  I didn't know if there was a way to get the purchase transferred somehow to the new working store.  Since it was sold through FSS for years I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering this.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Try this link - it may help.

https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/2019/01/17/cloud-shadows-2-0/

I quote directly from that page: 

Quote

Note that this will patch the fixer internals to 4.0 which should assist Flight Sim Store customers who can no longer get updates.

Anyway - Steve may well be along soon. He is quite active in his part of the AVSIM forum.

Edited by HighBypass
addition
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, HighBypass said:

Try this link - it may help.

https://stevesfsxanalysis.wordpress.com/2019/01/17/cloud-shadows-2-0/

I quote directly from that page: 

Anyway - Steve may well be along soon. He is quite active in his part of the AVSIM forum.

Thanks.  I think I did see that on the site when I looked a little while back, but since I don't have the cloud shadows addon (it's new while I've been away from FSX) I assumed I couldn't use that update.  Anyway, yeah I've seen he's pretty active so just waiting 🙂

Edited by flyinion

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, flyinion said:

That doesn't really help.  I purchased it years ago from Flightsim Store who now seems to not be hosting the newest updates.  I was trying to avoid having to buy it again.  I didn't know if there was a way to get the purchase transferred somehow to the new working store.  Since it was sold through FSS for years I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering this.

Why not go the site I pointed to and leave a message for Steve?  He appears to have helped others.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

I stopped selling by the flight sim store over 4 years ago,  Over the years I have provided updates for no charge.  The last version that the flight sim store took from me was 3.4 about 18 months ago.

You should still be able to download that version 3.4  from the flight sim store site.

The flight sim store issued their own licenses and built their own installer so I have no way to provide new versions. 

There  have been two updates since then for fastspring customers only 3.5 and the latest version 4.0.

 3.5 was quite minor.

4.0 is more significant, it is  more reliable with effects which occasionally might flash on and off in some scenarios with 3.4 It also renders  legacy scenery at night much closer to the original dx9.

As Mark states I have provided a mechanism for FSS customers to get the latest fixer version via the separately licensed cloud shadows addon, without having to buy the fixer again.

 So if you purchase cloud shadows from my site then the installer will patch an installed flight sim store version 3.4 to 4.0 and of course give you shadows under clouds.

 

Edited by SteveFx
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, SteveFx said:

I stopped selling by the flight sim store over 4 years ago,  Over the years I have provided updates for no charge.  The last version that the flight sim store took from me was 3.4 about 18 months ago.

You should still be able to download that version 3.4  from the flight sim store site.

The flight sim store issued their own licenses and built their own installer so I have no way to provide new versions. 

There  have been two updates since then for fastspring customers only 3.5 and the latest version 4.0.

 3.5 was quite minor.

4.0 is more significant, it is  more reliable with effects which occasionally might flash on and off in some scenarios with 3.4 It also renders  legacy scenery at night much closer to the original dx9.

As Mark states I have provided a mechanism for FSS customers to get the latest fixer version via the separately licensed cloud shadows addon, without having to buy the fixer again.

 So if you purchase cloud shadows from my site then the installer will patch an installed flight sim store version 3.4 to 4.0 and of course give you shadows under clouds.

 

Ok, thanks for the info Steve.  I'll check out the addon and see if it will work for me.  I've been out of the game for a while so I don't really know anything about it or it's potential performance impacts.  It's definitely something I'd be interested in using in general though.  I know a few years ago REX was posting teaser shots of a similar functionality but I don't think it ever happened.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

At the risk of sounding like a word not allowed - Cloud Shadows really does wonders for the immersion factor! If you liked running with DX10 previously Charles, then Cloud Shadows should hopefully allow you to enjoy a fixed DX10 once more, but with a great add-on. Looking at the spec sheet in your signature, I cannot imagine having any performance issues...

 

(OK I AM a word not allowed! :blush:) EDIT - oh I never realised that word would be censored.. "a young man who really supports a particular aspect of a hobby" you know what I mean.

Edited by HighBypass
meaning

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, HighBypass said:

(OK I AM a word not allowed! :blush:) EDIT - oh I never realised that word would be censored.. "a young man who really supports a particular aspect of a hobby" you know what I mean.

Not sure what you mean Mark.  Please PM me and give me the word you were trying to post (you might have to separate the word such as "g r e a t".

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

(Jim and I have exchanged PMs on the matter) The word I was trying to use, applying it to myself and not anyone else (context is key here) was f a n b o y. :biggrin:

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/29/2019 at 11:41 AM, HighBypass said:

At the risk of sounding like a word not allowed - Cloud Shadows really does wonders for the immersion factor! If you liked running with DX10 previously Charles, then Cloud Shadows should hopefully allow you to enjoy a fixed DX10 once more, but with a great add-on. Looking at the spec sheet in your signature, I cannot imagine having any performance issues...

 

(OK I AM a word not allowed! :blush:) EDIT - oh I never realised that word would be censored.. "a young man who really supports a particular aspect of a hobby" you know what I mean.

Thanks.  Yeah I know the system itself can probably run the addon in general just fine.  I just wasn't sure about when it gets combined with OrbX regions and stuff like PMDG aircraft 🙂  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now