Sign in to follow this  
JustanotherPilot

WOW Airlines files for bankrupcy

Yep, caused some probs with the pax, I was not familiar with the airline, but sad to see one fail.

John

I'm guessing they grew too fast. I heard of the airline when they started flying in the USA.

8 minutes ago, Paul Deluca said:

I'm guessing they grew too fast...

You can argue that they has an unsustainable business model from the start and trying to expand their market into cities that had little demand is what did them in.

Keep the blue part on top...

Ryzen 7800x3D | ASUS Rog Strix B650E-F | MSI RTX 4090 Suprim Liquid X | 64GB DDR5 6000Mhz RAM | 2x Samsung 960 M.2 SSD | 2x Samsung 850 SSD | NZXT Kraken x72 Cooler | EVGA 1000 PSU

two types of Budget airlines. Those that have Filed Bankruptcy and those that will.

There is a website i have bookmarked called Departedflights.com Lots of old metal, Airlines that are still with us, and ones that bit the dust. Great website.

I am sad about it. I live close to Detroit and used them last Christmas to get back home to Germany for the holidays.

I paid for the roundtrip 550$ (+120$ for luggage) while every other airline was asking for at least 1700$.

Yeah my butt hurted a bit after 5h sitting on seats which are build for Short flights but saving 1000$ was worth it. 

Also I couldn't complain about their service and everything was on time. Ok I arrived 1h late in Detroit but United already brought me home twice with a 20h delay. In general their service was better and friendlier compared to what I am used to from United, AA or Delta.

Edited by Labbi85

I was planning on taking them for a nice little vacation in Europe, since they offered very nice deals out of STL. Sad to see them go, but from what I've seen, most narrow-body LCC international operations don't profit very well. Norwegian is kind of in the same bus right now. As far as I know, they stopped flying their 737's to/from the States.

-Chris Crawford

-ATP/MEL

- B737 / B777 / B-727 / EMB-145 / LR-JET

Wow had Service from DFW to Iceland for a while at a ridiculous low price and I considered going just for a few days to check it out but they ended service from DFW about 6 months ago.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

They have been teetering on the brink of failure for quite a while now and some months ago there was talk of Icelandair taking them over but I think the latter saw the writing on the wall and didn’t go for the bait. Another budget airline brought down by the usual combination of excessively rapid expansion and a fare structure that at best was probably borderline in terms of profitability unless consistently high load factors could be achieved. Sad to see them go though.

Bill

The two words "budget" and "airline" have never made me feel all that comfortable. It always worries me that one of these airlines is going to cut one too many corners at some point.....and I think we all know the kind of consequences that I am thinking about. The problem is that people really do expect everything for peanuts these days.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

It's simple business economics.  You must collect enough money to cover all of you expenses.  With fare as low as WOW was charging, there is no way they were covering their expenses, so they went under.  Sadly, the average consumer wants everything dirt cheap or for free, even if it is at the expense of businesses going bankrupt.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Had the opportunity to fly with them out of Miami to Keflavik. Nice airline. Nice people. Nice price. Sad to hear of their misfortune.