Sign in to follow this  
lidorx7

Stars too bright and too many

Hi,

this issue is bothering for long time,

sitting at KATL at 8:30 PM and look at all those stars, its really annoying, im not even talking about dark time, you sit at LAX and you have a million stars just above your head,

there is anything to do?

BTW the upper half of the picture is a picture before that one.. its just shoved in there lol

7Q9KXQP

Edited by lidorx7

I fully agree with you. There are really too much stars to be seen in FSX/P3D skies when using the default "stars.dat". You will never see so much stars when looking out of the the cockpit. Moreover the intensity of the stars is very unrealistic.

A few years ago I used the tool „AutoStarX“ to create a new „stars.dat“ file which only contains about 3000 stars. Additionally the contrast and brightness of the individual stars is far more realistic. I copy this "stars.dat" file over the existing one every time I reinstall P3D from scratch. 

I don't know if this tool works in P3Dv4.

Regarding the problem with displaying stars at dusk or dawn - I'm afraid there is nothing to be done about that.

Patric

Edited by pscharff

Keep in mind when you're up in the air there is no light pollution and you will see a lot more stars than when in or near a city. Just like when you're in a remote location like a desert.

Edited by threegreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD

Like "Deep in the heart of Texas"?

Sorry, couldn't resist!

Rich Boll

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Agreed....  in northern MN and ND there were tons of stars...  guys gotta stay away from big airports lol

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

14 hours ago, pscharff said:

I fully agree with you. There are really too much stars to be seen in FSX/P3D skies when using the default "stars.dat". You will never see so much stars when looking out of the the cockpit. Moreover the intensity of the stars is very unrealistic.

A few years ago I used the tool „AutoStarX“ to create a new „stars.dat“ file which only contains about 3000 stars. Additionally the contrast and brightness of the individual stars is far more realistic. I copy this "stars.dat" file over the existing one every time I reinstall P3D from scratch. 

I don't know if this tool works in P3Dv4.

Regarding the problem with displaying stars at dusk or dawn - I'm afraid there is nothing to be done about that.

Patric

I have the autostarx but I dont know how to generate a new file with less stars, can you please send me your stars.dat ?

13 hours ago, threegreen said:

Keep in mind when you're up in the air there is no light pollution and you will see a lot more stars than when in or near a city. Just like when you're in a remote location like a desert.

I'm talking about sitting at LAX or any other airport.. where the light pollution is very high, and even when dusk you can see them.

Glad that I am using PTA and have dimmed them a little ( Stargazer )

Dawn_All%20Months%20v13.jpg

13900 8 cores @ 5.5-5.8 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.3 GHz (hyperthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D4 - GSkill Ripjaws 2x 16 Gb 4266 mhz @ 3200 mhz / cas 13 -  Inno3D RTX4090 X3 iCHILL 24 Gb - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 1Tb - Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Thermaltake Level 10 GT case - EKWB Extreme 240 liquid cooling set push/pull - 2x 55’ Sony 4K tv's as front view and right view.

13600  6 cores @ 5.1 GHz / 8 cores @ 4.0 GHz (hypterthreading on) - Asus ROG Strix Gaming D - GSkill Trident 4x Gb 3200 MHz cas 15 - Asus TUF RTX 4080 16 Gb  - 1x SSD M2 2800/1800 2TB - 2x  Sata 600 SSD 500 Mb - Corsair D4000 Airflow case - NXT Krajen Z63 AIO liquide cooling - 1x 65” Sony 4K tv as left view.

FOV : 190 degrees

My flightsim vids :  https://www.youtube.com/user/fswidesim/videos?shelf_id=0&sort=dd&view=0

4 hours ago, lidorx7 said:

I'm talking about sitting at LAX or any other airport.. where the light pollution is very high, and even when dusk you can see them.

Like it has been said, the stars being visible at dawn/dusk is nothing we can really do anything about, except LM, obviously. You can also not simulate light pollution to make stars "disappear". So either use that tool to reduce the amount stars (which would then be perhaps realistic at a large airport in a densely populated area but as soon as you're up flying high over a desert you'll see less stars than what's realistic) or just go with what it is.

Edited by threegreen

Microsoft Flight Simulator | PMDG 737 for MSFS | Fenix A320 | www.united-virtual.com | www.virtual-aal.com | Ryzen 9 7950X3D | Kingston Fury Renegade 32 GB | RTX 3090 MSI Suprim X | Windows 11 Pro | HP Reverb G2 VR HMD