Sign in to follow this  
Dougal

Any Ideas about this guys (non FS)

Can anyone throw any light on this for me…

I recently received some (expected) data from a company (known to me) on a sponsors ‘giveaway’ 1GB USB stick. This data was (or should have been) just 5 JPG files within a folder.  Upon plugging in the USB device, there was a much longer delay than usual before my PC displayed the contents.

I always have my PC set to ‘Show Hidden Files’. There are 6 hidden files, and 2 hidden folders. Each folder containing unidentifiable hidden files.  Some of these I can open and some I can’t.  The files I can open, clearly contain information that can ONLY have been obtained from my PC after plugging into the USB port. Most files ‘appear’ to be .pdf and .docx files, containing shortcuts to other files on my PC!

Needless to say, I have since isolated the PC from my network.

Any ideas guys?

Run a virus check on it if you haven't already. I would contact the sender and ask some questions. Sounds a bit suspicious. i try to err to the cautious side on things like this.

Bill W

Yes it certainly seems suspicious to me. However, I've never used any non military USB security keys. I know they do some pretty strange things.  In the middle of several different malware and virus checks as i write this;-)

Can't now contact the company (veterinary practice) until Monday.  The USB is labelled 'Prascend Pergolide' which is an Equine Drug.  Personally, I'd trust ANY pharmaceutical company about as far as I could throw them lol.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1