Sign in to follow this  
HighBypass

Virtualcol ATR 72 and 42 free in library

Just a heads-up that Virtualcol's ATR 72 and 42 are available in the AVSIM library, donated as freeware from Virtualcol.

• Like 3

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I've purchased the FS9 version some time ago (after asking them if they were going to release a version for that sim). However, I didn't ever feel I had wasted my money: it was a fun plane to fly, and I was about to purchase the FSX version. Now they've saved me some money hahaha. Anyway, it's not PMDG/Flight1 level, but you'll like it for a quickie.

Remark: they have also released MPTO as freeware (but for FS9 only). I had a layover there this January; the only difference with the real world is that there are no Terminal 2 construction works. I don't know if there's already any airport reflecting this into the sim.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Best regards,
Luis Hernández 20px-Flag_of_Colombia.svg.png20px-Flag_of_Argentina.svg.png

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

No good deed goes unpunished. 

Unlike Radar Contact they are still in business, so hopefully they are prepared for the tech support calls. 

Ernest Pergrem

I purchased the FSX version of the ATR42/72 quite some time ago and, although this is most certainly not in the league of the Majestic Q400 which has set the standard for turboprop airliners, it actually is quite an enjoyable simulation of this aircraft providing you are not looking for any great degree of systems depth.

The visual model both internal and external is not bad and the flight dynamics seem quite realistic. The engine sounds also are quite acceptable but I improved them with one of the addon sound sets available for the ATR series which I found in a sale and these add quite a bit more immersion. 

The ATR comes with an FMS of sorts but as this is based on the FSX flight planner I have not bothered using it, however the aircraft is quite compatible with the GTN750 if you own this. The AP is functional but it sometimes has an irritating tendency to make excessive corrections when capturing the glideslope. As extending the flaps causes significant ballooning, it is better to have the flaps configured for landing before intercepting the glideslope to avoid a series of oscillations on approach. 

Despite these drawbacks however, if you are not expecting a lot of systems  depth, this is quite a nice simulation, which was quite good value as payware and should be a very welcome addition to the freeware library.

Bill

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

On 4/1/2019 at 9:47 AM, rightseat said:

Anyone tried it in P3dV4 (even though it's not made for it)?

Should work. They only use XML gauges.

Edited by Luis Hernandez
  • Upvote 1

Best regards,

Main rig: self built, AMD Ryzen 5 5600X with PBO enabled (but default settings, CO -15 mV, and SMT ON), 2x16 GB DDR4-3200 RAM, Nvidia RTX3060 Ti 8GB, 256 GB M.2 SSD (OS+apps) + 2x1 TB SATA III SSD (sims) + 1 TB 7200 rpm HDD (storage), Viewsonic VX2458-MHD 1920x1080@23-144 Hz (locked at 120 Hz, FreeSync ON), Windows 10 Pro. Runing FSX-SE, MSFS and P3D v5.4.

Mobile rig: ASUS Zenbook UM425QA (AMD Ryzen 7 5800H APU @3.2 GHz and boost disabled, 1 TB M.2 SSD, 16 GB RAM, Windows 11 Pro). Running FS9 there... sometimes on just battery! FSX-SE also installed, just in case. 

VKB Gladiator NXT Premium Left + GNX THQ as primary controllers. Xbox Series X|S wireless controller as standby/travel.

1 minute ago, Luis Hernandez said:

Should work. They only use XML gauges.

Bonus! I'll give it a shot then. Thanks! 🙂

On 4/4/2019 at 7:38 PM, scianoir said:

I purchased the FSX version of the ATR42/72 quite some time ago and, although this is most certainly not in the league of the Majestic Q400 which has set the standard for turboprop airliners, it actually is quite an enjoyable simulation of this aircraft providing you are not looking for any great degree of systems depth.The visual model both internal and external is not bad and the flight dynamics seem quite realistic.

Have you purchased VirtualCol  Dash 8-100/200 and how is it, please?

signCopy.jpg

21 hours ago, Aharon said:

Have you purchased VirtualCol  Dash 8-100/200 and how is it, please?

Yes, I purchased this some time ago in one of VCol’s fairly frequent sales although I have to admit that I fly the VCol Dash 8s only occasionally, generally opting to use the Majestic Q400. 

From a visual viewpoint the external model is pretty good, but the VC is perhaps not quite up to the standard of their ATR with textures that are a little less crisp and overall it is a little lacking in terms of 3D effects. Also the cockpit surrounds (sidewalls, window frames etc) have not had much modelling attention paid to them which slightly reduces the sense of immersion IMO.

From a functional viewpoint, once again like the ATR series, this is a light simulation but, to be fair to VirtualCol, they don’t market their products as anything other than light ‘fun to fly’ aircraft. Like the ATR, it comes with a basic FMS which I have never used although I understand it has limited functionality, but the AP will fly nicely with the GTN750 if you own that. Its flight dynamics and the sound package are quite acceptable.

Like many of VCol’s products the Dash8 comes with a vast amount of liveries and, for what you get, it really is quite good value for money at the normal price. Furthermore VCol support is generally fast, friendly and helpful. If you want a Dash8-100/200, I would recommended it providing you are happy with a light simulation.

Bill

Edited by scianoir
  • Upvote 1

Scianoir,

Thanks for great review full of excellent insights.  Do any of your VCol models ever cause crash or freeze in your FSX?

Regards,

Aharon

signCopy.jpg

33 minutes ago, Aharon said:

Scianoir,

Thanks for great review full of excellent insights.  Do any of your VCol models ever cause crash or freeze in your FSX?

Regards,

Aharon

You’re welcome Aharon,

I have most of the VCol aircraft including their most recent A220 and I don’t think I have ever experienced any FSX freezes or crashes related to them. Indeed many of them (including the ATR and Dash8) have the added advantage of very low VAS requirements, which means you can happily fly them into resource intensive major airports in FSX without the risk of OOM crashes. 

Regards,

Bill

23 hours ago, scianoir said:

I have most of the VCol aircraft including their most recent A220

How do you find the A220? I have almost all of their products for FS9 (except for maybe the Otter and the Shorts), but I find these planes may be a good addition to my FSX setup.

On 4/5/2019 at 9:37 PM, rightseat said:

Bonus! I'll give it a shot then. Thanks! 🙂

How did it go in P3D4?

Edited by Luis Hernandez

Best regards,

I installed the ATR72 and ended up with a headache due to awful graphics, the OH is almost unreadable, sorry that is just

my findings, yours my be different. Uninstalled.

• Upvote 1

My System: Intel 9700K 4.7Gz, ROG Strix Z390-E Gaming, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3200MHZ, Evga 3070TI  8GB, Noctua NH-D15S, Gigabyte 27" Monitor, Windows 10 64bit, 2xSamsung 500GB SSD, 1x Samsung 120GB, 1x Samsung 970, 1TB, 1TB H/D for Storage.

Helmut Berger