Sign in to follow this  
Captain Campion

Problems with Majestic DASH8

Hello

I want to check if other people has encountered the following problem. I have started suffering it since last week after many months without issue. I have my suspicions on two programs  wich are the only thing i have installed lately: EZDOK3 and the last Activesky Prepar3d patch.

The problem is this: i get overspeed warnings even when my flight speed is way below the red tape. The first time i suffered it when descending at 240 knots at FL100, and it was the end of my flight (stress damage). I have disabled stress damage but overspeed messages keep appearing. I have tried disabling EZCA effects to no avail (but i could be doing something wrong, i'm not used to this new version yet).

Sadly the Majestic forums are down (an annoyingly usual recurrence lately) and i can't check if there's any topic on it. Anyone has experienced this with the DASH? My brother has started flying it in his rig and he also gets the overspeed messages (he uses EZCA3 and Activesky too).

FS2Crew voice edition is acting strangely too, after i start the takeoff and say "check power" the FO responds and then goes silent, not acknowledging the 80 knot mark, positive rate or anything afterwards. This must be related to the above problem, both started simultaneously.

Any help appreciated.

First run a flight in clear skies theme no add-in weather as a possibility of high wind speeds could be causing the overspeed. Also check KTAS/KIAS is not misinterpreted on the dial.

• Like 1

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

1 hour ago, Captain Campion said:

Hello

I want to check if other people has encountered the following problem. I have started suffering it since last week after many months without issue. I have my suspicions on two programs  wich are the only thing i have installed lately: EZDOK3 and the last Activesky Prepar3d patch.

The problem is this: i get overspeed warnings even when my flight speed is way below the red tape. The first time i suffered it when descending at 240 knots at FL100, and it was the end of my flight (stress damage). I have disabled stress damage but overspeed messages keep appearing. I have tried disabling EZCA effects to no avail (but i could be doing something wrong, i'm not used to this new version yet).

Sadly the Majestic forums are down (an annoyingly usual recurrence lately) and i can't check if there's any topic on it. Anyone has experienced this with the DASH? My brother has started flying it in his rig and he also gets the overspeed messages (he uses EZCA3 and Activesky too).

FS2Crew voice edition is acting strangely too, after i start the takeoff and say "check power" the FO responds and then goes silent, not acknowledging the 80 knot mark, positive rate or anything afterwards. This must be related to the above problem, both started simultaneously.

Any help appreciated.

Your reported issue is not a commonly reported problem for the MJC Q400 (there are no topics on this specific topic on the forum to my recollection).  As @SteveW mentioned start clean by not using ActiveSky, or to be on the safe side the other two add-ons mentioned.and also try running each one independently of each other.  If this continues being an issue simply post a short video clip of your issues allowing us to see your issue.

• Like 1

KROSWYND    a.k.a KILO_WHISKEY
Majestic Software Development/Support
Banner_MJC8.png

Sys 1:  AMD 7950X3D, NOCTUA D15S, Gigabyte Elite B650, MSI 4090, 64Gb Ram, Corsair 850 Power Supply, 2x2TB M.2 Samsung 980s, 1x4TB WDD M.2, 6xNoctua 120mm case fans, LG C2 55" OLED running at 120Hz for the monitor, Win11. Sys 2:  i7 8700k, MSI GAMING MBoard, 32Gigs RAM, MSI 4070Ti & EVGA 1080Ti. Hardware:  Brunner CLS-E-NG Yoke, Fulcrum One yoke, TM TPR Rudder Pedals, Yoko TQ6+ NEO, StreamDeck, Tobii Eye Tracker, Virpil VPC MongoosT-50CM3 Base with a TM grip
SIMULATORS: MSFS2020/XP12/P3D v5.4 & v6:  YouTube Videos

I don't know where, but there's information on the recommended Active Sky setting when flying the Dash-8. Basically, you really have to tone down the Wind options (and effects) settings. These settings are amplified with the flight model and make it silly. 

I recall the exact symptoms you're describing. Check these settings:

Maximum wind turbulence - The default is 70. That's way too high. Try 40 or less.

Turbulence effect scale - Again, the default is 70 and also too high. Try 40 or less.

Enhanced turbulence - Uncheck this.

Maximum downdraft and Maximum updraft - tone these down as well.

Richard Chafey

i7-8700K @4.8GHz - 32Gb @3200  - ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero - EVGA RTX3090 - 3840x2160 Res - KBSim Gunfighter - Thrustmaster Warthog dual throttles - Crosswind V3 pedals

MSFS 2020, DCS

My brother's been testing and looks like EZCA is the culprit. He started a flight and during climb ATC was nagging him to reduce speed to 250...when he was climbing at 180/200 knots. he used the global disabled option to quit EZCA and then ATC went silent and the flight went smooth. Looks like there's a conflict between these two products and it messes with the airspeed (looks like true airspeed is much higher than indicated airspeed). That would also explain why FS2Crew goes silent at takeoff...if true speed is indeed higher than indicated then the 80 knot mark may already be surpassed as soon as the plane starts rolling for takeoff...even V1. And it would also explain my overstress crash.

I'll report this in the EZCA forums.

It's not a valid test to disable EZCA after the start of a flight.

Check the KTAS/KIAS is interpreted correctly, run up the plane, the camera app, and the sim with a clear weather theme or better still a custom weather with just some wind. If it works OK then the place to go might be the AS forum, if it fails check in with EZCA and Dash forums.

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Interesting to find post as I have recently been seeing the same issue.  I have  EZDOK 3, FSCaptain, GSX, ProATCx, Active Sky and Multi-crew experience.  I first noted the issue when FSCaptain told me I had broken the under 250 knts speed limit below 10k feet when I was flying at 230 knts IAS.  Also, I had ProATCx tell me to slow down several times when I was already below the requested speeds.  Then on the last couple flights, as soon as I landed GSX told me to cut my engines as it thought I was parked.  Also, FSCaptain stopped the flight and was waiting for me to open doors while I was taxiing while the co-pilot was announcing "80knts" at the same time (??).  Bottom line, it seems that however these add-ons get the speed of the plane from the simulator, it doesn't seem to be working.  I will try some of the suggestions above and other forums, but thought I'd point out that the OP and his brother are not alone with this.

Don Polidori

i just ran some tests and it seems that ezdokv3 is the 1 causing problems v2 was running ok

Brendon Powys

1 hour ago, Timma said:

i just ran some tests and it seems that ezdokv3 is the 1 causing problems v2 was running ok

Majestic Dash8-Q400 has problems with effects implemented in EZCA v3. This is due to the external aerodynamics module of the model. To Dash8 fly without problems, must disable the turbulence module (XTm) in General settings and set to zero the value of dynamic head movement (DHM) in the effects settings.

Nick Bebyakin   / Handmade cameraset - Ezdok v2  and Ezdok v3
EZdok Software. Support remains on the     http://www.ezdok-camera.com/

i5-9500F@4.4GHz / 20Gb / RTX 2060-OC-6Gb / Win10x64 / MSFS2020

12 hours ago, Nickbe said:

Majestic Dash8-Q400 has problems with effects implemented in EZCA v3. This is due to the external aerodynamics module of the model. To Dash8 fly without problems, must disable the turbulence module (XTm) in General settings and set to zero the value of dynamic head movement (DHM) in the effects settings.

I did all of the above still the same 

Brendon Powys

1 hour ago, Timma said:

I did all of the above still the same 

Please describe the problem in more detail.

Nick Bebyakin   / Handmade cameraset - Ezdok v2  and Ezdok v3
EZdok Software. Support remains on the     http://www.ezdok-camera.com/

i5-9500F@4.4GHz / 20Gb / RTX 2060-OC-6Gb / Win10x64 / MSFS2020

On 3/31/2019 at 8:00 PM, RichieFly said:

I don't know where, but there's information on the recommended Active Sky setting when flying the Dash-8. Basically, you really have to tone down the Wind options (and effects) settings. These settings are amplified with the flight model and make it silly. 

Interesting. I've been flying the Q400 with the latest versions of P3D and AS an had no problems at all. Pity you can't remember where you read this. I will keep it in the back of my mind though for whenever I do get problems.

2 hours ago, Nickbe said:

Please describe the problem in more detail.

The plane shakes on the ground while engines are off fs2crew went all crazy after the last update to ezdokv3 ,oh and my active sky settings are all turned down.

Thanks for ur reply and help

Brendon Powys

If any ideas pls post ill try and sort it out.

Thanx 4 the help guys

Brendon Powys