Jump to content

Captain Campion

Problems with Majestic DASH8

Recommended Posts

Hello

I want to check if other people has encountered the following problem. I have started suffering it since last week after many months without issue. I have my suspicions on two programs  wich are the only thing i have installed lately: EZDOK3 and the last Activesky Prepar3d patch.

The problem is this: i get overspeed warnings even when my flight speed is way below the red tape. The first time i suffered it when descending at 240 knots at FL100, and it was the end of my flight (stress damage). I have disabled stress damage but overspeed messages keep appearing. I have tried disabling EZCA effects to no avail (but i could be doing something wrong, i'm not used to this new version yet).

Sadly the Majestic forums are down (an annoyingly usual recurrence lately) and i can't check if there's any topic on it. Anyone has experienced this with the DASH? My brother has started flying it in his rig and he also gets the overspeed messages (he uses EZCA3 and Activesky too).

FS2Crew voice edition is acting strangely too, after i start the takeoff and say "check power" the FO responds and then goes silent, not acknowledging the 80 knot mark, positive rate or anything afterwards. This must be related to the above problem, both started simultaneously.

Any help appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post

First run a flight in clear skies theme no add-in weather as a possibility of high wind speeds could be causing the overspeed. Also check KTAS/KIAS is not misinterpreted on the dial.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Captain Campion said:

Hello

I want to check if other people has encountered the following problem. I have started suffering it since last week after many months without issue. I have my suspicions on two programs  wich are the only thing i have installed lately: EZDOK3 and the last Activesky Prepar3d patch.

The problem is this: i get overspeed warnings even when my flight speed is way below the red tape. The first time i suffered it when descending at 240 knots at FL100, and it was the end of my flight (stress damage). I have disabled stress damage but overspeed messages keep appearing. I have tried disabling EZCA effects to no avail (but i could be doing something wrong, i'm not used to this new version yet).

Sadly the Majestic forums are down (an annoyingly usual recurrence lately) and i can't check if there's any topic on it. Anyone has experienced this with the DASH? My brother has started flying it in his rig and he also gets the overspeed messages (he uses EZCA3 and Activesky too).

FS2Crew voice edition is acting strangely too, after i start the takeoff and say "check power" the FO responds and then goes silent, not acknowledging the 80 knot mark, positive rate or anything afterwards. This must be related to the above problem, both started simultaneously.

Any help appreciated.

Your reported issue is not a commonly reported problem for the MJC Q400 (there are no topics on this specific topic on the forum to my recollection).  As @SteveW mentioned start clean by not using ActiveSky, or to be on the safe side the other two add-ons mentioned.and also try running each one independently of each other.  If this continues being an issue simply post a short video clip of your issues allowing us to see your issue.

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

I don't know where, but there's information on the recommended Active Sky setting when flying the Dash-8. Basically, you really have to tone down the Wind options (and effects) settings. These settings are amplified with the flight model and make it silly. 

I recall the exact symptoms you're describing. Check these settings:

Maximum wind turbulence - The default is 70. That's way too high. Try 40 or less.

Turbulence effect scale - Again, the default is 70 and also too high. Try 40 or less.

Enhanced turbulence - Uncheck this.

Maximum downdraft and Maximum updraft - tone these down as well.

Share this post


Link to post

My brother's been testing and looks like EZCA is the culprit. He started a flight and during climb ATC was nagging him to reduce speed to 250...when he was climbing at 180/200 knots. he used the global disabled option to quit EZCA and then ATC went silent and the flight went smooth. Looks like there's a conflict between these two products and it messes with the airspeed (looks like true airspeed is much higher than indicated airspeed). That would also explain why FS2Crew goes silent at takeoff...if true speed is indeed higher than indicated then the 80 knot mark may already be surpassed as soon as the plane starts rolling for takeoff...even V1. And it would also explain my overstress crash.

I'll report this in the EZCA forums.

Share this post


Link to post

Just out of interest what do you have checked in the realism settings page for airspeed? True or indicated?

Share this post


Link to post

It's not a valid test to disable EZCA after the start of a flight.

Check the KTAS/KIAS is interpreted correctly, run up the plane, the camera app, and the sim with a clear weather theme or better still a custom weather with just some wind. If it works OK then the place to go might be the AS forum, if it fails check in with EZCA and Dash forums.

Share this post


Link to post

Interesting to find post as I have recently been seeing the same issue.  I have  EZDOK 3, FSCaptain, GSX, ProATCx, Active Sky and Multi-crew experience.  I first noted the issue when FSCaptain told me I had broken the under 250 knts speed limit below 10k feet when I was flying at 230 knts IAS.  Also, I had ProATCx tell me to slow down several times when I was already below the requested speeds.  Then on the last couple flights, as soon as I landed GSX told me to cut my engines as it thought I was parked.  Also, FSCaptain stopped the flight and was waiting for me to open doors while I was taxiing while the co-pilot was announcing "80knts" at the same time (??).  Bottom line, it seems that however these add-ons get the speed of the plane from the simulator, it doesn't seem to be working.  I will try some of the suggestions above and other forums, but thought I'd point out that the OP and his brother are not alone with this.

Share this post


Link to post

i just ran some tests and it seems that ezdokv3 is the 1 causing problems v2 was running ok

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Timma said:

i just ran some tests and it seems that ezdokv3 is the 1 causing problems v2 was running ok

Majestic Dash8-Q400 has problems with effects implemented in EZCA v3. This is due to the external aerodynamics module of the model. To Dash8 fly without problems, must disable the turbulence module (XTm) in General settings and set to zero the value of dynamic head movement (DHM) in the effects settings.

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, Nickbe said:

Majestic Dash8-Q400 has problems with effects implemented in EZCA v3. This is due to the external aerodynamics module of the model. To Dash8 fly without problems, must disable the turbulence module (XTm) in General settings and set to zero the value of dynamic head movement (DHM) in the effects settings.

I did all of the above still the same 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Timma said:

I did all of the above still the same 

Please describe the problem in more detail.

Share this post


Link to post
On 3/31/2019 at 8:00 PM, RichieFly said:

I don't know where, but there's information on the recommended Active Sky setting when flying the Dash-8. Basically, you really have to tone down the Wind options (and effects) settings. These settings are amplified with the flight model and make it silly. 

Interesting. I've been flying the Q400 with the latest versions of P3D and AS an had no problems at all. Pity you can't remember where you read this. I will keep it in the back of my mind though for whenever I do get problems.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Nickbe said:

Please describe the problem in more detail.

The plane shakes on the ground while engines are off fs2crew went all crazy after the last update to ezdokv3 ,oh and my active sky settings are all turned down.

Thanks for ur reply and help

Share this post


Link to post

If any ideas pls post ill try and sort it out.

Thanx 4 the help guys

Share this post


Link to post
18 minutes ago, Timma said:

The plane shakes on the ground while engines are off fs2crew went all crazy after the last update to ezdokv3 ,oh and my active sky settings are all turned down.

Thanks for ur reply and help

I have now dash8 not installed in simulator (P3D4.5). Tomorrow I will install it and check with the latest versions of EZCA3 and ASP4. I'll take a screenshot of my settings and come back with it the day after tomorrow.

Share this post


Link to post

Ok thanx guys managed to fix it . the taxing speed fix had to be enabled in the ezdok effects menu.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Timma said:

Ok thanx guys managed to fix it . the taxing speed fix had to be enabled in the ezdok effects menu.

Was this the only fix needed or did you have to turn down/off all the other ezdock effects as well?

Did this taxi speed fix also fix the over speed when in the air?

 

.

Edited by Kilo60

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Kilo60 said:

Was this the only fix needed or did you have to turn down/off all the other ezdock effects as well?

Did this taxi speed fix also fix the over speed when in the air?

 

.

 yes the only fix,I turned down DHM   just did a flight now and all is good no overspeed

Share this post


Link to post
20 hours ago, Timma said:

 yes the only fix,I turned down DHM   just did a flight now and all is good no overspeed

 

I didn't even know that this fix could help for Dash8, this fix was made for Aerosoft Airbus 🙂. But if it helped, I'm very happy. If there are other problems, write here and help is always there.

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...