Sign in to follow this  
Harry Siebert

Addon install - Win7 FSX Boxed vs Win10 Steam - Help needed.

I have been using FSX Boxed addition ever since it was launched. 

Now I use the FSX-SE addition. Love it for VR play as well.

The problem is as time has gone by the Operating system as well as the platform have changed(boxed vs steam) and the Add-ons have installation files that are not always up to the job.

In many cases, you only need to direct the installer to the FSX installation directory and it will do the rest.

I have 2 Questions. The first is a much broader question.

1)  Is there anything else that you need to consider with FSX-SE when installing some add-ons? Let us say aircraft. Are there other files that need to be modified other then what is in the FSX/FSX-SE directory for them to work properly?

------------
2) This leads to my second question. I have the Harrier Plane > RAZBAM - Harrier GR.7/GR.9

A) I installed it on my Win7 laptop with the FSX boxed addition. Here it seems to run normally in most respects. < More on that later

B) I installed the Harrier in FSX-SE on my desktop with Windows 10. On this computer, the Harrier does not work as you might expect. Any power you apply causes the jet to flip straight back on the jets back. Also, the readings on the dash do not read correctly and in fact, readings are 000 they just stay the same.

So it does not seem to work correctly at all. Why??

Let me say I am new to the Harrier. It seems like a wonderful and beautiful plane.

It came with no manual(I found one online.) and I could not find anything on the RAZBAM site. They do not seem to support the add-on that I could see. There is no contact info on the site. So here I am. 

Let me say one more thing.

Even though the Harrier works better in Windows 7 and the boxed version. The Dash gauges also seem to read correctly I can not seem to get it off the ground. The back of the plane drags the ground and if you try to go higher you are going to go backward. It would seem I do not have all my controls set right. If someone has a take on this I would very much appreciate your insight.on the matter.

I have asked questions on this forum before and have always received informative answers. Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Harry Siebert

2 hours ago, Harry Siebert said:

1)  Is there anything else that you need to consider with FSX-SE when installing some add-ons? Let us say aircraft. Are there other files that need to be modified other then what is in the FSX/FSX-SE directory for them to work properly?

FSX aircraft addons are located in FSX/SimObjects/Airplanes and then the name of the aircraft with sound/texture/model/panel sub-directories. Some developers redirect the sound files and place them in FSX/Sounds.  When you install FSX-SE, you will have a FSX-SE directory with SimObjects/Airplanes so that is the location where the aircraft should be placed in.  If you have it already installed in FSX, I would copy the directory for the aircraft and paste it in the location in the FSX-SE directory.

For the Harrier, many times the developer will show the gauges are located in FSX/Gauges folder in the Panel.cfg.  It will also show you all the gauges required so you need to be sure you have those gauges installed within the Panel Folder or in the FSX-SE gauges folder.

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

If it was previously installed did you completely and thoroughly uninstall the boxed version of FSX before installing FSX Steam?

If so,  then the directories in FSX Steam should look identical to the boxed version, no distinction will be made between the two versions.

If however, you had the boxed version and did not completely and thoroughly uninstall it then you will end up with separate folders for each version.

This can cause problems for older installers that  pre-date FSX Steam.

Knowing that, might aid in the troubleshooting of your problem.

Thanks..

Edited by airernie

Ernest Pergrem

I checked two Windows 10 computers I have and one has never had the boxed version on it. Both Windows 10 computers with FSX-SE have the same control problems. The Harrier Jet flip over backward on takeoff when a small amount of engine thrust is applied. Also, the angle of the thrust nozzle does not seem to make any difference. It seems that there are important plane specific parameters that are not in place. Very strange. I hope I have given enough information for someone out there to recognize the issue. It might take someone who has the Harrier jet to figure it out. 

Thanks though for all your input. - Harry

You might want to read a review of the Harrier here at AVSIM as it provides some valuable information in regards to weight and balances.  If overweight with fuel and/or payload, you will have major issues - https://www.avsim.com/pages/0312/Wilco/Harrier.html

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10