Sign in to follow this  
richjb2

Computer issue - suspect MOBO

Hello all,

Off flight sim topic.  My wife's computer acting strangely.  For last month, MS Event Viewer is showing numerous disk I/O failures.  I've replaced the old HDD with a SSD.  Problem not solved, still getting the disk I/O failure errors.  Also re-installed OS (Win10 64 bit).  Switched SATA cables.  No joy. Also, noticed after reinstalling Win 10 after changing to the SSD, her monitor would start flashing big blocks of rainbow colors or just display a solid color. Had to shutdown using the power switch. More frequently now the computer is hard failing. It still starts just fine.  No overclock or fancy FSX/P3D stuff.  Just a simple office computer.

I built it for her in 2013 using the i5-4670 Haswell processer and an ASUS Z87 MOBO.  I suspect something on the MOBO has gone bad.  Can anyone confirm?  Is there a way to test or stress test it to see if it is the MOBO? 

The i5 socket 1150 is a dinosaur (although my i7 2600k Sandybridge still does good yeoman service with P3Dv4.4).  There is only one  MOBO option available on Newegg, similar ASUS Z87 for $120 US.

If it is the MOBO, is it better to move up to new processor and MOBO combo rather than use the old processor in a new MOBO?  

If you had to recommend a good yeoman process for office and document applications, what would that be?

I know it's of the Flight Sim topic, but I appreciate any help you folks can offer.

Thanks!

Rich Boll

Edited by richjb2

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

Personally, with an outdated CPU socket, I'd bite the bullet and move to a motherboard with a current generation CPU socket.  You'll find much better software support unless you are running an old operating system that will not support the current generation of motherboards.  If your version of Windows is not compatible with the newer motherboards, then a motherboard with an 1150 socket makes more sense.

Edited by stans

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

Do you know your PSU is delivering proper power to the board, and that ram is good?

Aside from that, a new board with an i5 ( even an i3 would work) should be plenty. If your wife is anything like mine, she has a lot of windows open at once, so as usual, the more ram the better.

Bob

i5, 16 GB ram, GTX 960, FS on SSD, Windows 10 64 bit, home built works anyway.

Hi Bob,

I replaced the power supply about three ago.  I suspect that it is still good.  The RAM is original.  What is the best way to test the RAM?

Thanks!

Rich 

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS

On 4/2/2019 at 5:46 PM, richjb2 said:

Hi Bob,

I replaced the power supply about three ago.  I suspect that it is still good.  The RAM is original.  What is the best way to test the RAM?

Thanks!

Rich 

MemTest86 (free edition):

https://www.memtest86.com/

Is her rig using onboard graphics?  I have seen those go bad.

If i were to replace it -- I would probably just replace the motherboard and cpu with something modern.  I do not see any point in spending $120 for an old motherboard, when you can buy a new, modern technology mb for $80-$100.   I just built a rig for work and I used an ASRock motherboard that was only about $80.

Also off-topic -- have you been to Cessna's facilities near you?  (Wichita) -- Aren't they based there?  Can you take tours of their production facilities?

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

On 4/2/2019 at 5:46 PM, richjb2 said:

Hi Bob,

Thanks!

Rich 

Another thing you can do to stress-test a build is use Prime95:

https://www.mersenne.org/download/

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

Thanks for the links to the tools!

I appreciate it very much!

Rich

Richard Boll

Wichita, KS