Sign in to follow this  
avi8tir

Consistently degrading performance

Lately, I feel like my system performance is degrading. Fairly consistently, scenery does not load completely upon arrival in a new area. For example, flew from the UK to EHAM yesterday and the scenery never fully loaded, even with a slow 200kt approach below 10000 and a long 15 mile final at final approach speed -- what should have been plenty of time for things to get loaded up. As well, the aircraft remained black on the exterior until short final. 

My add ons in these areas and this flight are all ORBX products (including True Earth NL), QW787, FlyTampa EHAM. I have active sky, etc - however weather was clear yesterday.

My system has not changed in couple of years:

i7-6700k

GTX1080

32 GB ram

Z170 Deluxe

M.2 2 TB

Any thoughts on what could be going on here? I am on the verge of a new build and these issues just make me want to do it sooner rather than later!

Do I understand correctly that you didn't have a performance degradation earlier with your system?  Have you applied any "tweaks" or change in settings recently?  I would also take a look at your CPU temps and see how the CPU is performing. It could be accumulation of dust inside your computer, which can lead to excessive heating and result in performance degradation. How do other applications perform?

17 minutes ago, Afterburner said:

Do I understand correctly that you didn't have a performance degradation earlier with your system?  Have you applied any "tweaks" or change in settings recently?  I would also take a look at your CPU temps and see how the CPU is performing. It could be accumulation of dust inside your computer, which can lead to excessive heating and result in performance degradation. How do other applications perform?

The degradation seems to be happening in the last month. I'll check cpu temps. I just installed Division 2 and it runs really smoothly at max settings so I think it is something P3D related. Clear shaders, perhaps?

Did you install the newest PBR update from QWSIM for your 787? I realized that it takes considerably longer to load the external textures when switching to the outside view now, indicating that those PBR effects put some additional load on the computer, although FPS are not affected at all.

And, you already guessed it, after such an update, it is recommended to always clear the shaders to avoid display issues. Furthermore, when using rather high settings, at least in my case the only option to have everything loaded in time and correct, I need to limit my FPS internally to 30. With unlimited, I would have to dial back the settings to prevent blurries and late loading autogen and textures...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

You also do realise that you're running probably the worlds 2nd most resource hogging addon scenery (after true earth south)  TE Netherlands. 

14ppkc-6.png

Hardware space also slows down autogen. YOu need at least 100gb FREE space on the drive your sim is on. Try affinity mask, might help. I know london is quite a heavy zone so consider that as well. I'd recommend you install something like MSI afterburner so you can check like temps and stuff while ingame. Also update drivers and make sure your hardware isn't that dirty cuz it can bring quite a lot of fps down.

47 minutes ago, tooting said:

You also do realise that you're running probably the worlds 2nd most resource hogging addon scenery (after true earth south)  TE Netherlands. 

yep. but this hasnt been an issue until recently. 

38 minutes ago, LH340fan said:

Hardware space also slows down autogen. YOu need at least 100gb FREE space on the drive your sim is on.

Seriously? And what do you do, if your disk where P3D sits on does not even provide 100gb free space? Sorry to say, but I really doubt that this is true, that would be a huge show stopper for many people with smaller disks and nobody ever mentioned something similar...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

6 minutes ago, AnkH said:

Seriously? And what do you do, if your disk where P3D sits on does not even provide 100gb free space? Sorry to say, but I really doubt that this is true, that would be a huge show stopper for many people with smaller disks and nobody ever mentioned something similar...

TBH even I found that strange but it works! I guess when you get into the really really low end cpu range, things get this weird. I think it has to see with read speeds. An emptier disk will read faster (a bit) than one that's full. LM suggests using an ssd but a 1tb ssd is completely out of my reach. TBH my disk has 2 500gb partitions so i can put things a bit tidier than in my old system (kind of) so now my sim is taking about 350-390gb on that one partition. The rest was leftovers, other games n stuff.

4 minutes ago, avi8tir said:

FYI - just did a test run and CPU temp was pegged at 53c.

Quite cool. What about GPU?