Sign in to follow this  
CluckKent

ACTIVE SKY 16: Can you make up the weather?

I have seen lots of YouTube stuff where everyone’s video’s have very cool clouds and cloud cover that goes all the way to the ground eg for Cat III landings.  I cannot achieve these weather / cloud settings in FSX so I am guessing they are using an Add-On like AS16.  Before I buy it, I would like to know if you can just create the weather conditions that you’d like to fly in (eg just create the Cat III weather conditions) for say my home airport YPPH (Perth Western Australia) or do you have to go and fly where ever those conditions exist ‘around the world’ as they exist in reality?  The review I did watch on it seemed to suggest that I’d have to go find the conditions I wanted to fly in.

Thanks in advance guys (& girls) 

Paul 😀

Signature for this post is: Paul Motu

Sorry but I thought I had changed this in my settings Grrrr ... will fix ‘again’ now.  Please don’t boot my comment 😎

Thanks

Paul Motu

The PMDG signature rules no longer apply here since they no longer control the forums here, so you don't have to worry about getting in trouble for not signing your posts. In any event, with Active Sky, you can either use live weather or use historical weather going back to 45 days. I'm pretty sure you can create your own weather, but as I don't have access to the computer that has Active Sky, I couldn't confirm it for another two weeks.

Captain Kevin

nGsKmfi.jpg

Air Kevin 124 heavy, wind calm, runway 4 left, cleared for take-off.

Live streams of my flights here.

12 hours ago, CluckKent said:

I have seen lots of YouTube stuff where everyone’s video’s have very cool clouds and cloud cover that goes all the way to the ground eg for Cat III landings.  I cannot achieve these weather / cloud settings in FSX so I am guessing they are using an Add-On like AS16.  Before I buy it, I would like to know if you can just create the weather conditions that you’d like to fly in (eg just create the Cat III weather conditions) for say my home airport YPPH (Perth Western Australia) or do you have to go and fly where ever those conditions exist ‘around the world’ as they exist in reality?  The review I did watch on it seemed to suggest that I’d have to go find the conditions I wanted to fly in.

Paul 😀

Yes, you can create your own weather conditions or use live or historical weather.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

You'll also need a good texture proggie for cloud depiction.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

Thanks Capt Kevin, cmpbellsjc and speedy!  Sounds like it's a go hahaha love spending on toys LOL!  Cheers Paul

I don't have AS16, but ASN allows live, historical, and manual weather settings.  Read the AS16 manual to find and edit the manual settings.

Sim: Prepar3D 5.2 (main) and Microsoft Flight Simulator (2020), CH Eclipse Yoke, Thrustmaster Airbus TCA Side Stick, CH Pro Throttle, CH Pro Pedals, Saitek Cessna trim wheel, TrackIR 5, SPAD.neXt running 3 Saitek Logitech panels, ButtKicker Gamer 2, Razer Naga Chroma gaming mouse

System: Intel i5-10600K CPU @ 4.10 GHz, Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 64GB DDR4 RAM @ 4200 MHz, ASRock Z490M Pro4, 2TB Intel NVMe SSD 660p, 3 monitors

On 4/1/2019 at 3:10 AM, CluckKent said:

Paul 😀

Hi Paul, to answer the other part of your question in terms of 'very cool clouds" that you have seen in videos. You would't get that by just using AS16. You most likely would need a cloud texture add-on such as REX 4 - "Texture Direct" or "Texture Direct with Soft clouds", which will give you some great clouds and weather themes. I use AS16 coupled with REX4 - Texture Direct with Soft clouds and it's fantastic.

Get the AS16 as suggested (great weather tool) and then decide on your texture app.

Best Regards.

Forshaw.

Or use AS16 with ASCA and Envtex - another great combination!

Bill

Excellent feedback guys.  I bought the AS16 & ASCA package based on your replies so thank you very much for your kind help, advice and assistance. 

Paul