Sign in to follow this  
Tim-HH

Wide Body Sim Development Announces A350 XWB

4 minutes ago, AnkH said:

It IS an April's fool, already confirmed by the site that originally put everything up: flusinews.de, you can read it here (in German): https://www.flusinews.de/2019/04/a350-advanced-series-aprilscherz/

Fair enough... that really was a bad aprils-fools joke, IMO! 

Personally I think, that pranks like that are meant to be funny and eventual feeling after the inevitable revelation of the joke, should be relief - not disappointment and anger!

But who am I to judge...

Edited by Anders Bermann
  • Upvote 4

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Pilot-ID: SAS2471

Totally agree with you, especially because a nice A350 addon is really missing in P3D. But maybe the moment to (re)think about how serious we take our hobby?

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Certainly to each their own on what April fools jokes they want to do but this article and multiple others I have seen on blog news sites are sort of socially inept.  Telling people something they really want to or don’t want to hear is not exactly a “joke”.

I get what they are trying to do but its like a little brother telling his big sister she has a terminal illness as an April fools joke and spending all day until she is convinced.  Sure he probably thinks it’s funny but it’s dumb, kind of rude, and you are missing the spirit of what a joke is supposed to be about.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TravelRunner404 said:

Certainly to each their own on what April fools jokes they want to do but this article and multiple others I have seen on blog news sites are sort of socially inept.  Telling people something they really want to or don’t want to hear is not exactly a “joke”.

I get what they are trying to do but its like a little brother telling his big sister she has a terminal illness as an April fools joke and spending all day until she is convinced.  Sure he probably thinks it’s funny but it’s dumb, kind of rude, and you are missing the spirit of what a joke is supposed to be about.

Completely agree! Well said.

I'm not exactly sure, how announcing something like this as a prank, is supposed to be amusing... 

Edited by Anders Bermann
  • Upvote 1

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

10 minutes ago, Anders Bermann said:

Completely agree! Well said.

I'm not exactly sure, how announcing something like this as a prank, is supposed to be amusing... 

Agree 100%

Not funny at all...🙄

That’s a relatively high effort joke, but still pales in comparison to this one: 

http://hoaxes.org/af_database/permalink/the_eruption_of_mount_edgecumbe/

• Like 1

Dave

Current System (Running at 4k): ASUS ROG STRIX X670E-F, Ryzen 7800X3D, RTX 4080, 55" Samsung Q80T, 32GB DDR5 6000 RAM, EVGA CLC 280mm AIO Cooler, HP Reverb G2, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Thrustmaster Warthog HOTAS & Stick, Thrustmaster TCA Quadrant & Add-on, VirtualFly Ruddo+, TQ6+ and Yoko+, GoFlight MCP-PRO and EFIS, Skalarki FCU and MCDU

22 minutes ago, pvupilot said:

Back when people didn't get upset about everything and could laugh at themselves. Love it!

I'm fairly certain, that some people were upset about that 'prank'. But in that example, we are dealing with the opposite expected reaction, when the truth of the prank was revealed. 

With Volcano-prank:
When first seeing the prank: People reacted with fear and distress. 
When finding out the truth: Reactions of relief and general relaxation.

With XWB-prank:
When first seeing the prank: People reacted with cheering and happiness.
When finding out the truth: Reactions of anger, disbelief and disappointment. 

I know we're probably are making a bit too much of it - but IMHO a prank or joke of this kind, is suppose to bring forth a feeling of either disbelief, chock and/or perhaps amazement. Upon revelation, the feeling of relaxation, sighs of relief and/or amusement and a lifting of the spirit, is suppose to be prevalent - not the opposite... 

You see the difference? 😉

• Like 2

Best regards,
--Anders Bermann--

Just to be clear, you're saying that some kid convincing his sister that she has a terminal illness or some guy who fakes an eruption is equivalent to a software company faking a planned product? Equivalent in the psychological/emotional/monetary damage? Not quite sure I follow.

• Upvote 1

While i'm not losing any sleep over it, I still don't think it was particularly humorous....😴

Someone obviously put some time and effort in to this spoof, and if they were expecting it to be greeted with widespread guffaws of hearty laughter, I guess they'll be disappointed to find that most people were like...Uh.. ok, whatever...😏

I was simply trying to convey that something can be funny but easily lack the spirit of a good joke.  Hence why I used little brother bc kids do that. Adults convincing other adults is of course different.

Humor is a fine line. I saw one post that made a joke no one wanted to hear about a product launch delay and the source link, very visible, looked like a twitter link, click on it and you goto the wiki entry for “April Fools”.  That’s pretty funny. 

The whole internet April fools joke thing started out as a fake off the wall product fun thing that was borderline believable but ridiculous (Google Smells!). Now it’s transformed into who can write the most believable article about something people either don’t want to hear or really want to hear and then thinking it’s funny they believed you.

Which it’s their website and their product. All the more power to them. It’s a first world problem in the end. 

5 hours ago, Anders Bermann said:

I'm fairly certain, that some people were upset about that 'prank'. But in that example, we are dealing with the opposite expected reaction, when the truth of the prank was revealed. 

With Volcano-prank:
When first seeing the prank: People reacted with fear and distress. 
When finding out the truth: Reactions of relief and general relaxation.

With XWB-prank:
When first seeing the prank: People reacted with cheering and happiness.
When finding out the truth: Reactions of anger, disbelief and disappointment. 

I know we're probably are making a bit too much of it - but IMHO a prank or joke of this kind, is suppose to bring forth a feeling of either disbelief, chock and/or perhaps amazement. Upon revelation, the feeling of relaxation, sighs of relief and/or amusement and a lifting of the spirit, is suppose to be prevalent - not the opposite... 

You see the difference? 😉

Yeah I wasn't directing my comment towards the flight sim community, but rather towards society in general. Reading the article stated how many got a laugh from it, even the Coast Guard Admiral told the prankster he thought it was a "classic" and no one got punished, arrested, upset, etc. I feel that would be a different story today, unfortunately. 

/ CPU: Intel i7-9700K @4.9 / RAM: 32GB G.Skill 3200 / GPU: RTX 4080 16GB /

RW Freight Pilot

Everyone has their own sense of humor. I personally don’t find a story about a made up airplane to be anywhere near the level of convincing someone that they are going to die.  While I’m a little disappointed that we won’t have an A350 in the near future, I can chuckle at the scale of this prank, and give the author’s a, “Well done!”