Sign in to follow this  
jordanf93

Possible New PC for P3Dv4

Hi Guys

I have two options for a new PC as I am looking to move from FSX, can you take a look and let me know which one best meets the requirements for a decent performance. Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

• Operating System: Windows 10 Home (64-bit Edition)
  • CPU (Processor): Intel® Core™ i5-9400F - 6-Core 2.90GHz, 4.10GHz Turbo - 9MB Cache (No On-board Graphics)
  • CPU Overclocking: No Overclocking
  • CPU Cooling: INTEL Standard CPU Cooler
  • Motherboard: Asus Prime Z370-P II: ATX w/ USB 3.1, SATA3, 2x M.2
  • Memory (RAM): 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4/2400mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance LPX w/Heat Spreader)
  • Graphics Card (GPU): ASUS GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB - DX12®, VR Ready, HDMI, DVI, DP - 3 Monitor Support (Single Card)
  • Solid State Drive (SSD): 240GB WD Green 2.5" SSD - 540MB/s Read / 465MB/s Write (1 Drive)
  • Hard Drive (HDD & SSHD): 2TB Seagate BarraCuda SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM Hard Drive (1 Drive)

• Operating System: Windows 10 Home (64-bit Edition) 
  • CPU (Processor): Intel® Core™ i5-9400F - 6-Core 2.90GHz, 4.10GHz Turbo - 9MB Cache (No On-board Graphics)
  • CPU Overclocking: No Overclocking
  • Motherboard: Cyberpower B360M Xtreme AC: M-ATX w/ 4 RAM Slots, AC Wi-Fi, USB 3.1, SATA3, 2x M.2
  • Memory (RAM): 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4/2400mhz Dual Channel Memory (Corsair Vengeance LPX w/Heat Spreader)
  • Graphics Card (GPU): ASUS GeForce® GTX 1060 6GB - DX12®, VR Ready, HDMI, DVI, DP - 3 Monitor Support (Single Card) 
  • Solid State Drive (SSD): 240GB WD Green 2.5" SSD - 540MB/s Read / 465MB/s Write (1 Drive)
  • Hard Drive (HDD & SSHD): 2TB Seagate BarraCuda SATA-III 6.0Gb/s 7200RPM Hard Drive (1 Drive)
  • Wireless Networking: Addon AWP1750E PCI-E Wireless 11AC 1750Mbps Network Interface Card

I would highly recommend you go with a quality motherboard like the ASUS. They tend to be better made, better supported, and longer supported over the years.

I would remove SSD and replace it with M.2 1tb for gaming and m.2 512g for windows, HDD or SSD for (Storage only) this is my setup.

M.2 Performance Max Sequential Read Up to 3500 MBps Max Sequential Write Up to 3300 MBps This along will speed things up

I would not go for such a niche market CPU but rather spend some bucks more and directly go with a 9600K on a Z390 board. This would allow you to go anywhere near 4.8 - 5.0GHz when using a decent cooling solution. Besides that, I agree with the other comment: aim for bigger SSD. You want to run P3D off a SSD, not off a HDD.

Besides that, without telling us what you are willing to spend and what the cost of above two rigs is, help will be possible only in a very limited way...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

4.1 GHz is slow for advanced users, fine for casual users.

5 GHz is a minimum speed today for a new PC used for P3D with an advanced add-on suite. 

IMO, flight simmers cannot honestly recommend anything less than the best PC for P3D, and $5-9000.00 is not too much unless one builds it themselves. The reason is because P3D has some advanced features that make for a much more realistic experience and these features require top speed and power. VR is the biggest reason, but dynamic reflections/lighting, and advanced shadows all require power and speed.

If one is satisfied with default P3D settings and cheap add-ons, then a cheap PC will work. But then they may as well stick with FSX or FS9 even.

My next PC will likely be $10,000🤑 for P3D v5 unless my current workhorse continues to perform as good as it still does.

That is complete exaggeration, sorry to say. With an 9700K overclocked to 5.0GHz and a RTX 2070/2080 you can run P3D perfectly fine with almost max. graphics and all currently available addons. Of course, if you want VR with reasonable settings, you might consider SLI. But even with SLI, a rig with a 9700K and 2x2080Ti is still far away from 5000$, yet 10'000$. Example:

http://jetlinesystems.com/product/gravity-gt2/

Add another RTX 2080 to this and you hardly scratch the 4000$ limit.

But hey, go ahead and spend 10'000$ for your next rig. Just don't be disappointed if then someone with a rig for 4'000$ has the same or even better results...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

The inevitable caveat: How fast do you want to go and how much money do you want to spend?

I build my own, my present WIP centers around an Intel Core i9-9980XE and a pair of Nvidia RTX2080 Ti (FE) cards.

Still, I need to shop around for the right MoBo and I'll probably use a couple of Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB SSD drives for a start.

You get a lot of satisfaction from building your own unit and save a certain amount of $$$ which can be used to seriously go toward high-end components.

😎

If you can afford such components and you have fun in building up rigs on your own, you can go down this route. But we have to be honest here: this 9980XE will not provide more performance in P3D than an 9700K. Or, if it is a little tad faster, for sure not those 500% it costs more.

In other words: for P3D such a rig as Wombat is putting together is more than a total overkill for P3D. 

Greetings, Chris

Id get a CPU with at least the OC ability for 5ghz or youre going to regret it.

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

3 hours ago, pracines said:

5 GHz is a minimum speed today for a new PC used for P3D with an advanced add-on suite. 

IMO, flight simmers cannot honestly recommend anything less than the best PC for P3D, and $5-9000.00 is not too much unless one builds it themselves. The reason is because P3D has some advanced features that make for a much more realistic experience and these features require top speed and power. VR is the biggest reason, but dynamic reflections/lighting, and advanced shadows all require power and speed.

If one is satisfied with default P3D settings and cheap add-ons, then a cheap PC will work. But then they may as well stick with FSX or FS9 even.

My next PC will likely be $10,000🤑 for P3D v5 unless my current workhorse continues to perform as good as it still does.

5 GHZ is minimum?? Really??

That the maximum speed that the best CPUs can get nowadays, with overclocking!

Ahmet Can

2 hours ago, AnkH said:

That is complete exaggeration, sorry to say. With an 9700K overclocked to 5.0GHz and a RTX 2070/2080 you can run P3D perfectly fine with almost max. graphics and all currently available addons. Of course, if you want VR with reasonable settings, you might consider SLI. But even with SLI, a rig with a 9700K and 2x2080Ti is still far away from 5000$, yet 10'000$. Example:

http://jetlinesystems.com/product/gravity-gt2/

Add another RTX 2080 to this and you hardly scratch the 4000$ limit.

But hey, go ahead and spend 10'000$ for your next rig. Just don't be disappointed if then someone with a rig for 4'000$ has the same or even better results...

Exaggeration?

You look at a Jetline GT2 I look at the Jetline GTX. You are thinking small compared to me. 

9700K is ancient to me - I'm looking beyond 9900K with 5+ maybe 6+ GHz on ALL cores - you are behind the times. 

I'm looking beyond RTX 2080 - ever heard of Titan RTX?  Once again you're backward thinking is far behind mine.

64 GB 4000+ will be the start

largest and multiple M.2 or faster when available

largest fastest backup drives for XP with ortho

$10,000 is about right for ME - not for you because you are in the past.

No matter what you say, if I spend more money at Jetline than you, I will have a faster PC than you. Stop deceiving yourself.

Go trolling elsewhere as your post more than obviously just tells everybody reading it that you have absolutely not a single clue what you are talking about...

• Like 1

Greetings, Chris

1 hour ago, pracines said:

Exaggeration?

You look at a Jetline GT2 I look at the Jetline GTX. You are thinking small compared to me. 

9700K is ancient to me - I'm looking beyond 9900K with 5+ maybe 6+ GHz on ALL cores - you are behind the times. 

I'm looking beyond RTX 2080 - ever heard of Titan RTX?  Once again you're backward thinking is far behind mine.

64 GB 4000+ will be the start

largest and multiple M.2 or faster when available

largest fastest backup drives for XP with ortho

$10,000 is about right for ME - not for you because you are in the past.

No matter what you say, if I spend more money at Jetline than you, I will have a faster PC than you. Stop deceiving yourself.

This is so rediculous I can’t even respond.

• Like 3

Matt Wilson

7 hours ago, pracines said:

Original poster - The above as hopefully you are seeing is absolutely non-sense. You will find much more reasonable advice elsewhere on this forum. I am running an 8086K at 5.5Ghz with good memory, M.2 drives and a 1080ti, and I have no issues running P3D with PMDG or FS-Labs add-ons. My whole build was about 2.5K

Good luck, and feel free to post any further questions.

2 hours ago, busdriver said:

I am running an 8086K at 5.5Ghz with good memory, M.2 drives and a 1080ti, and I have no issues running P3D with PMDG or FS-Labs add-ons. My whole build was about 2.5K

So if you spent $5000 your PC would be slower? Really? Talking about NON-sense.  Here is a direct quote from you on July 13, 2018:

"I think the better expectation is that developers work to optimize the code for today's processors, as the direction seems to be more towards additional cores, not faster clock speeds.... My system is brand new (spec's below) and I still can't send the sliders all the way to the right, without things turning into a PowerPoint presentation." 

Same specs as now, so don't tell anybody that you don't have issues 🤥 - you have "2.5K" issues - slider reduction syndrome LOL. A top quality $10,000 PC will easily handle all sliders to the right with all the add-ons you have, your "2.5K" system cannot. You should have spent at least $5000 to help eliminate the slide show 😛 

5 hours ago, mpw8679 said:

This is so rediculous I can’t even respond. 

You did respond, but you did not spell check. AnkH should have told you that you are trolling, because you are. You need to learn how to contribute to conversation productively. 

6 hours ago, AnkH said:

Go trolling elsewhere as your post more than obviously just tells everybody reading it that you have absolutely not a single clue what you are talking about...

Since you know so much - tell me how a 9700K at 4GHz (LESS EXPENSIVE) is faster than a 9900K at 5GHz (MORE EXPENSIVE) - I'm only trolling 'to you' because you know you made a foolish argument and you cannot find the logic to overcome your original foolishness. Debate your point with courage and respect if you can.😂

-----------------------------

I can't for the life of me understand how anybody with a brain can think that less PC is more. Pure stupidity. PC Bargain hunters will always have a less superior PC -bus proves this to us all plainly.

To listen to them you would conclude that 4 GHz is faster than 5 GHz, or 100 Knots is slower than 40 Knots. 🐒