Hey guys, I had a question for the P3D vets out there. I'm currently in the process of building a new PC. I'm currently on FSX Steam at the moment and was wondering if these specs will be good enough to run v4 as well as various PMDG addons + active sky. 

CPU - AMD Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz

MOBO - MSI B450 Gaming Pro

Memory - Ballistix Sport LT 16 GB DDR4-3000

SSD - Inland 240 GB SSD 

HDD - Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 7200 RPM 

GPU - EVGA RTX 2070 8 GB. 

I already have a ton of addons for FSX including PMDG aircraft as well as active sky and was wondering if switching to P3D would be worth buying everything again or if I should just stick to FSX for now. (BTW FSX is running on a laptop currently & I can't run 90% of my addons because of frame issues) 

I'm looking for a very good spike in performance, at least 30+ frames in high density areas. Any help on the issue would be appreciated. Thanks in advance! PS - Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place, pretty new to Avsim.

As stated - system will run P3D but not really very well. You need that CPU to be above 4ghz to get halfway decent performance.

With the right system, then yes P3D can give you very decent performance.

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Looks capable to me but why the choice of AMD as the cpu? There seems to be a general consensus among the tech-minded that Intel is probably a better choice for P3D. You could go with either the tried and true i7 8700K or the newer 9 series chips.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

Just now, speedyTC said:

Looks capable to me but why the choice of AMD as the cpu? There seems to be a general consensus among the tech-minded that Intel is probably a better choice for P3D. You could go with either the tried and true i7 8700K or the newer 9 series chips.

I'm on kind of a tight budget. Can you recommend a good intel CPU for under $220? Is the GPU okay though?

Budgetary constraints, yes, I know them well! Could you not wait for a while longer and maybe save up for an Intel? Under $220 is not going to be a great idea for P3D unfortunately. As mentioned above a clock speed of over 4GHz (and really closer to 4.8) is a must.The GPU is more than adequate unless you like to run with all sliders maxxed and a lot of cloud layers.

MSI Pro Z690-A DDR4 | i5 13600KF | G.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3600MHz | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 (12GB) | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 500GB | Samsung 980 M.2 NVMe 1TB | Samsung 850EVO 500GB | 2TB Seagate HDD | Deepcool AK500 CPU Cooler | Thrustmaster T16000M HOTAS | CH Yoke | Win 11 22H2 build | MSFS2020 |

Tony K.

4 minutes ago, speedyTC said:

Budgetary constraints, yes, I know them well! Could you not wait for a while longer and maybe save up for an Intel? Under $220 is not going to be a great idea for P3D unfortunately. As mentioned above a clock speed of over 4GHz (and really closer to 4.8) is a must.The GPU is more than adequate unless you like to run with all sliders maxxed and a lot of cloud layers.

Okay, I'll hold off a bit on the CPU. That and the GPU will be my last purchases! Would an i7-7700k work good? And is that ATX form factored? Compatible with my MOBO?

If you decide to go with Intel you will need an Intel CPU compatible motherboard with a Z series chipset (for overclocking). Not sure if the 7700's are still in production? I could be wrong although for best performance in P3D you should budget for the 8-series Intel cpu's, at least. Best to build a machine that is capable of lasting you for at least five years and offering decent performance rather than rushing in and regretting any purchase decisions a few months down the road.

Form factor shouldn't be an issue but be sure to allow for a well ventilated case. Overclocking usually generates a fair amount of heat, plus that GPU can get toasty when pushed.

Edited by speedyTC

Tony K.

28 minutes ago, speedyTC said:

If you decide to go with Intel you will need an Intel CPU compatible motherboard with a Z series chipset (for overclocking). Not sure if the 7700's are still in production? I could be wrong although for best performance in P3D you should budget for the 8-series Intel cpu's, at least. Best to build a machine that is capable of lasting you for at least five years and offering decent performance rather than rushing in and regretting any purchase decisions a few months down the road.

Form factor shouldn't be an issue but be sure to allow for a well ventilated case. Overclocking usually generates a fair amount of heat, plus that GPU can get toasty when pushed.

Thanks for your input man! I'll stick to FSX for now and get P3D when I get the funds to upgrade! Appreciate the help 🙂

I disagree with the others and would go with the Ryzen, maybe spend some bucks more for the 2600X model you can then overclock to 4.0GHz or more. The advantage of the Ryzen build: it is cheaper and as soon as the novel Ryzen 3000 CPU are available, you can think about replacing your Ryzen 2600(X), as the novel Ryzen will still work on the same mainboard. In contrast, if you now go for an "old" Intel 7700K, you will never be able to upgrade this anymore, as Intel usually changes socket when offering new CPUs.

• Upvote 1

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

Is the GPU okay though?

I run P3D v4 with a 2GB GeForce GTX 770 GPU. That should be enough information for you to work out whether an RTX 2070 is good enough or not :smile:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

10 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I run P3D v4 with a 2GB GeForce GTX 770 GPU. That should be enough information for you to work out whether an RTX 2070 is good enough or not :smile:

Thanks! What is your CPU?

Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3Ghz

You have to be aware that I fly in calm weather with clear skies, internal shadows only, and with dynamic lighting and reflections disabled. However, I do run a lot of detailed AI airliners @ 100%, and with Scenery Complexity and Autogen Density set to Extremely Dense

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

Intel i5 4690k @ 4.3Ghz

You have to be aware that I fly in calm weather with clear skies, internal shadows only, and with dynamic lighting and reflections disabled. However, I do run a lot of detailed AI airliners @ 100%, and with Scenery Complexity and Autogen Density set to Extremely Dense

Okay, fair enough! What kind of frames are you getting? And do you fly any PMDG aircraft?

I never check framerates. All I am bothered about is whether performance is acceptable to me (and I can accept framerates quite a bit lower than others if it means I can simulate a highly detailed environment). Having said that, framerates when airborne are generally good enough anywhere......and that is with  PMDG 737/747/777 and Quality Wings 787.

EDIT: I generally fly around the UK and Ireland, but I also use the FlyTampa Amsterdam Schiphol/ORBx TrueEarth Netherlands combo (with everything enabled in the TE Control Panel), and framerates are still pretty good in the air.

Edited by Christopher Low

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

Brother, you will definitely be good to go. The CPU will OC to 4k with typing in two numbers, just don't use the stock cooler for that. Don't believe the naysayers that say it won't run it well. It will run it just fine. Will the higher end intel products run it a bit better? Sure, but that doesn't mean the 2600 setup won't run it well.

MY only suggestion would be to pick up a set of 3200 ram and not the 3000. Ryzen likes faster ram, and get the fastest timings you can afford.

I just swapped to a 2600 setup myself from a Xeon in anticipation of the 3000 series coming up. Still on a 1060 6gb, at 1080p I have no issues.

Edited by BrasiliaNick

Nick Silver

http://www.youtube.com/user/socalf1fan

Ryzen 7 5800x, 32gb ddr4 3200mhz ram, RTX 3080 FE, HP Reverb G2 v2, 4K Tv Monitor