Evening guys. I’m pretty new to P3d but am loving it compared to FSX. I’ve recently purchased the QW787 and my current (old) system is struggling to cope. 

I’m a real amateur when it comes to computer systems and wouldn’t know where to start building my own. I’ve found the following spec for £1500 that looks decent, just after some thoughts. 

Cheers in advance. 

James

Features & details

• System: Intel Core i7-9700K Processor (8 Cores, 3.6GHz Base, 4.9Hz Turbo, 12MB Cache) | Intel Z370 Chipset Motherboard | 16GB DDR4 RAM | 240GB SATA-III SSD | 2TB 7200RPM SATA-III HDD
  • Graphics: Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 8GB Graphics Card | 1x HDMI 2.0b, 2x Displayport v1.4 | 600W 80 Plus Rated Power Supply
  • Connectivity: 4x USB 3.1 gen 1 | 2x USB 2.0 | 1x PS/2 KB or Mouse Port | 1x RJ45 Network Ethernet 10/100/1000 | 300Mbps 802.11n Wifi | 7.1-Channel High Definition Audio
  • Case & Cooling: Corsair Crystal 460X Mid Tower Case | 3x RGB 120mm Fans | RGB LED Light Strip w/ RFID Remote | 120mm All-in-one CPU Liquid Cooler
  • Warranty & Software: 2 Years Parts & 3 Years Labour | Lifetime Technical Support | Bullguard Internet Security 1 Year, 3 Devices | Windows 10 Home 64-bit

That looks like a solid system James. Personally I'd prefer a bigger PSU - 600W is adequate but leaves you little room. Other than that, it should do you quite well.

Vic

• Upvote 1

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

1 hour ago, vgbaron said:

Personally I'd prefer a bigger PSU - 600W is adequate but leaves you little room.

It's way more than adequate. If that pulls more than 240W from the wall I'll be shocked.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

Just trying to find it having inadvertently closed the window. Found a similar spec at cyberpowersystem.co.uk

One more opinion -- I think a 240 Gb SSD today is a bit small. I would spend the additional few dollars to get a 500Gb drive. The drive may slow down when it gets over 70% (I've seen articles that say reads only or writes only slow down. All I know is my 240 Samsung SSD slowed way down when approaching capacity (as measured by HDTune)

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.

I second what pgde says -- at least a 500 GB SSD.  And also, I would want P3D installed on the SSD for faster loading.  

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

34 minutes ago, pgde said:

One more opinion -- I think a 240 Gb SSD today is a bit small. I would spend the additional few dollars to get a 500Gb drive. The drive may slow down when it gets over 70% (I've seen articles that say reads only or writes only slow down. All I know is my 240 Samsung SSD slowed way down when approaching capacity (as measured by HDTune)

Better yet get a 1tb SSD, I have the WD Blue 1tb SATA III M.2 SSD, it's very fast, and the difference in price between it and the 500 gb model is only about $50-60 USD. There may even be cheaper models around, but Western Digital has a good reputation for reliability.

And as Mace said, run P3D from the SSD, load times are much faster..

Edited by SunDevil56

2 hours ago, Luke said:

It's way more than adequate. If that pulls more than 240W from the wall I'll be shocked.

Cheers!

The 2070 will pull 175W itself at stock speeds.  Would be easy to push the system as spec'd to near 500W even with the 9700K not overclocked.  I'm with Vic... a bit more power is cheap insurance.  Of course with the 120mm CPU Liquid Cooler, getting any kind of substantial overclock will be a challenge anyway.

Not a bad system but a bit pricey for what you get.

Regards

Greg

14 minutes ago, lownslo said:

The 2070 will pull 175W itself at stock speeds.  Would be easy to push the system as spec'd to near 500W even with the 9700K not overclocked. 

I'm curious why you feel that way. I have an i7-9700K overclocked to 5Ghz, coupled with a 1070. The CPU reports it's pulling between 60-90W when P3D is running, and the GPU is running around 115W via NV inspector. Everything else in the machine is a rounding error, say 30W. If you assume 80% efficiency in the PSU, we're talking 293W from the wall.

My old i7-4700K and the 1070 pulled 220 from the wall, I guess I need to hook up the Kill-A-Watt and see what it says on the new rig.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

4 hours ago, Luke said:

Cheers!

I politely disagree for one reason. A 600W will be working harder than a larger PSU and will therefore introduce more noise onto the 5V rail. This noise can cause jitter of controls at neutral which is not easy to fix. Some aircraft are sensitive to this jitter. For example, the A2A 182 will release the park brakes if there is any jitter in the rudder pedals at neutral even with feet off. This problem is often not noticed when GPU load is minimal, but as soon as CPU and GPU are straining the PSU, the noise on the rails increases and can cause this issue.

• Upvote 1

46 minutes ago, glider1 said:

I politely disagree for one reason. A 600W will be working harder than a larger PSU and will therefore introduce more noise onto the 5V rail. This noise can cause jitter of controls at neutral which is not easy to fix. Some aircraft are sensitive to this jitter.

That's a fair point, but if your PSU is introducing noise in any rail at under 40% capacity, I would not want to buy any PSU such a manufacturer makes, no matter what its rated capacity.

You'll notice from other threads on the subject that I'm a big fan of buying slightly lower capacity PSUs from reputable manufacturers. I usually go with around 500-600W Seasonics and have never been disappointed.

Cheers!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Luke Kolin

2 hours ago, Luke said:

I'm curious why you feel that way. I have an i7-9700K overclocked to 5Ghz, coupled with a 1070. The CPU reports it's pulling between 60-90W when P3D is running, and the GPU is running around 115W via NV inspector.

I guess I got s duff version of P3Dv4! :biggrin:  I just checked my system (using HWiNFO), and I had a peak of 148W for the CPU and 188W for the GPU.

41 minutes ago, Luke said:

You'll notice from other threads on the subject that I'm a big fan of buying slightly lower capacity PSUs from reputable manufacturers.

That's OK... some of us have no problem adding some extra headroom in our PSU capacity for a few dollars more.  To each their own.

🍻

Greg

52 minutes ago, Luke said:

That's a fair point, but if your PSU is introducing noise in any rail at under 40% capacity, I would not want to buy any PSU such a manufacturer makes, no matter what its rated capacity.

You'll notice from other threads on the subject that I'm a big fan of buying slightly lower capacity PSUs from reputable manufacturers. I usually go with around 500-600W Seasonics and have never been disappointed.

Cheers!

Thanks for the suggestion. When I looked up Seasonic they are market leading in reducing noise on the rails. A lot of other companies don't talk much about (EDIT: rail noise) but rather power. EDIT: They often are quick to talk about acoustic noise though!

Edited by glider1