11 hours ago, lownslo said:

I guess I got s duff version of P3Dv4! :biggrin:  I just checked my system (using HWiNFO), and I had a peak of 148W for the CPU and 188W for the GPU.

That's fascinating - I'll drag out my Kill-A-Watt and do some more comparisons since I haven't measured the i7-9700 from the wall yet. Are you overvolting the CPU?

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

1.35V @ 5.3GHz no HT.  I'll be interested in your at-the-wall numbers.

Thanks,

Greg

19 hours ago, JamesGrf said:

System: Intel Core i7-9700K Processor (8 Cores, 3.6GHz Base, 4.9Hz Turbo, 12MB Cache) | Intel Z370 Chipset Motherboard

Hope you did not yet buy, I totally overlooked this detail, sorry. I would strongly suggest to get a Z390 mainboard for the 9700K.

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

@JamesGrf That specification seems good for P3D in to the future. An i5-9600k processor with Hyper212 Evo cooler will be nearly as good though (unless you do video editing or heavy multitasking that can use the additional cores/threads of an i7 or i9) and then spend the savings on upgrading to a Z390 motherboard (I favour Asus or Gigabye for motherboard reliability). Do note that not all SSDs are born equal, Crucial's P1 is my pick at the moment that represents good value. With cases I recommend lots of large but slow fans (at least 92, ideally 120 and 140mm) with filters and fitting a reputable 550W+ semi-modular power supply, as Luke Colin said buy PSU on reputation and not outright wattage.

I'm occasionally asked to recommend components and systems for a particular budget to suit P3D, so I've come up with this as of Q1 2019 at under £1100 excluding peripherals https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/jkRYjy All you need to do with this is upgrade it to an RTX2070 and it's basically the same as what you've posted.

This build should be good for up to 1440p resolution or a superwide 1080p setup. A 27" monitor such as £185 AOC Q2778VQE or £290 BenQ EW3270ZL would seem a good fit, for those on a budget a 24" 1080p will do.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

If I read correctly, the major differences between z370 and z390 are 10gig USB-C and 802.11ac support. If the price differential is trivial, by all means get it, but if my budget was limited I wouldn't sacrifice core counts or speeds for these features.

Cheers!

Luke Kolin

I make simFDR, the most advanced flight data recorder for FSX, Prepar3D and X-Plane.

2 hours ago, AnkH said:

Hope you did not yet buy, I totally overlooked this detail, sorry. I would strongly suggest to get a Z390 mainboard for the 9700K.

From this forum:

True for upgraders. If buying new, there is no reason for the Z370. 

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

8 hours ago, lownslo said:

Fired up ImagineSim KLGA with the Dynamic Lighting kicking in. PMDG 737-600.

My 1070 is maxed and NV Inspector claims I'm pulling 110-130W. The CPU, needless to say, is not maxed and CoreTemp is claiming I'm pulling ~40W. The Kill-A-Watt is reading around 220W from the wall.

If the PSU is 80% efficient, it still means everything else in the computer (and it's not much, an M.2 drive, pair of SATA drives and a DVD-ROM) is pulling around a single-digit amount of power.

Cheers! 

• Upvote 1

Luke Kolin

11 hours ago, lownslo said:

Thanks,

Greg

I did a test with my old rig when CPU's were more power hungry.  I had 280w running 3d mark.  So that was my 2500K 4.4Ghz and my old GTX 570 with 8gb ram.  I have three HDD's and at the time at 1 SSD but no special lighting in the case etc.  I think nearly everyone buys a larger PSU than we need...  it's mostly just marketing.  I didn't know what a kill a watt even was when I built this machine... so I got a seasonic 750w.... totally overkill.  I bet a person with a high end recent build could get a quality 400w PSU and have plenty of headroom.

• Upvote 1

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

When buying a motherboard buying the latest may pay off in the long run, Intel are to release 14nm CPUs later  2020 Comet Lake and if they do to the 370 what they did to the 270 and stopped MB manufactures from updating the BIOS your upgrade path will be shortened. 

Edited by rjfry

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

What about capacitor ageing though, doesn't that rob PSUs of capacity? @ryanbatcund @Luke I always factor in for up to 50% capacitor aging over the lifetime of the system (even with that consideration though, I only run a 750W PSU and mine is 6 years old) .

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

I'm running a 750 watt EVGA PSU. For my daughters PC I specified a 650 watt PSU, no issues. 

Given that there's often a minuscule difference in price between a 650 and a 750, it's not big deal. In fact the EVGA 750 GQ is £10 cheaper than the 650 GQ on Amazon.  So no point in challenging someone for opting for a 750 watt PSU as opposed to a 650 watt with the price difference only a fraction higher, or in the case of the aforementioned EVGA PSU... actually lower.

What about capacitor ageing though, doesn't that rob PSUs of capacity?

Capacitor degradation should be taken into considerations, but your suggested 50% margin may be excessive. And even with a 650 or 750 watt PSU there is still plenty of margin to accommodate degradation.

The other point to consider is where about in the efficiency curve you are likely to spend most of your time. PSU's are most efficient around the middle of the curve. Having said that though, modern PSU's are pretty efficient higher up the curve, so that too isn't the big deal it used to be.

The bottom line is that a 650 to 750 watt PSU is perfectly adequate for most people, even if you overclock. Especially now that modern hardware is more efficient. However... the cost of an additional 100 watts is often minuscule, so you may decide that given the minimal additional expenditure... why not go for it. 

Edited by martin-w

Yeah on my linked spec I suggest a £75 Corsair TXM650M because it was £65 for the 550W version (both are Gold rated semi-modular).

I suppose by that logic I could've specified the £80 750W but then I was concerned it would be quite lightly loaded and efficiency would suffer as I estimate without overclock and peripherals the system would pull about 330W peak; modern hardware is really a lot more energy efficient.

Edited by ckyliu

support1.jpg

What kind of settings do you guys run with P3dV4? My single1080Ti is easily hitting 265 watts and has bumped up against 280+ watts on many flights. My cpu (coffee lake) will peak at 140+ watts.

2 hours ago, fghdgdfdfgfgf said:

What kind of settings do you guys run with P3dV4? My single1080Ti is easily hitting 265 watts and has bumped up against 280+ watts on many flights. My cpu (coffee lake) will peak at 140+ watts.

the I9 7920X 2 x 1080ti seen peaks 950W on a kill-a-watt