Sign in to follow this  
bloxboy

9900k core usage in P3D

Leaving it all alone it works perfectly adequately, and even with HT on as I showed above it's perfectly aware. That is, until we want more. The purpose of these kind of threads is to find out if there's more and what to do to get it. The 'wall of text', I get it, that's tongue-in-check, but detracts unfairly from what is actually a useful guide to so many. I wouldn't bother with it otherwise

Go ahead and get the ultimate PC with 32 cores +, it's still going to work OK for these sims, and fun to have. But they are ALSO suited to rendering say CAD or creative 3D and video transferring which the time to render each frame is not a critical fps time. Not necessarily worse, that's down to configuration. For example, HT will move away from mainstream games PCs since it's an awkward platform for games.

Edited by SteveW

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

Wow, lot to take in, some very knowledgeable people here. I will try turning off HT to see if there is any difference, and I may try the AF settings, but I am quite happy with the 9900k performance, but as I stated in my op I was just checking that default settings in the bios is fine. Thanks again for all your reply's and suggestions.

John.  

• Like 1

@SteveW It's not actually that much text, it's just that you did it across several sequential posts so it looked a lot. It is helpful to newbies and I read and absorbed it all, before deciding it all seems a lot of hassle for modest gains. Some folks will do anything to gain that 0.1% advantage and that's fair enough, but that's not me, I'm time (and cash) poor. And I think in some instances newbies read similar advice and are disappointed afterwards that it wasn't a transformational panacea.

Edited by ckyliu

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

23 minutes ago, ckyliu said:

@SteveW It's not actually that much text, it's just that you did it across several sequential posts so it looked a lot. It is helpful to newbies and I read and absorbed it all, before deciding it all seems a lot of hassle for modest gains. Some folks will do anything to gain that 0.1% advantage and that's fair enough, but that's not me, I'm time (and cash) poor. And I think in some instances newbies read similar advice and are disappointed afterwards that it wasn't a transformational panacea.

Changing AMs doesn't improve things on a system that is already redlined in some way.

If AMs don't make any difference to performance or can't show any changes and don't appear to matter - rather than suspect that HT and so on is a bit of a wind up.

instead, ask yourself why that might be not happening on your system.

You should be able to see changes to loading times at least.

However having the fastest loading time with very large scenery might be going too far for when the sim is stable

Best thing to do is start out with settings low and build up.

1 hour ago, bloxboy said:

Wow, lot to take in, some very knowledgeable people here. I will try turning off HT to see if there is any difference, and I may try the AF settings, but I am quite happy with the 9900k performance, but as I stated in my op I was just checking that default settings in the bios is fine. Thanks again for all your reply's and suggestions.

John.  

Not so much really when you get into it. Thing is to start with HT off, move the first task away from the first core at least with AM=...10 on the right (the least significant bit on the right is core zero, top left in task manager) so that core zero is free. That's usually a good start. But not if it's the fastest core on the rig. With an AM the first task can be steered to hit the fastest core.

With lots of cores I would probably give it say 6, if the motherboard is really new 10 cores or more, maybe give it 8, but not all. Then leave it knowing I didn't test it but it should be good enough.

I wouldn't leave it no AM that would grind on me.

Some fast components are coming in the next year maybe, will improve the motherboard resource. The new xeon chipsets have double the throughput for their massive core-counts to handle.

I'm still getting calls and PMs relating to folk adjusting AMs in the hope that it will somehow rectify some kind of problems in the sim.

Let's get this straight: Adjusting AMs does not fix problems in the sim. When a system does not react in the way it should, something is wrong with the system, not the AM chosen. If you use an AM that uses four of a six core that P3D works as if it's on a four core, and four core systems work well. So giving six of 8 or five of 8 won't change a fault in the setup of the sim. It will only look to the sim as a different chip with more/less cores when an AM is used.

AM's can be useful to deduce problems in a system, but they don't make problems - period.

The real wall-of-text I see is made up of those that deride positive information here and is then exaggerated by those that become confused through this one says one thing and another says different.

I come here to help with a difficult problem. I'm not interested in those that don't want to know.

On 4/5/2019 at 12:07 AM, Bert Pieke said:

For your CPU, HT off makes sense.

One other thing to try, which some users have found to be helpful (including me) is to open Task Manager with P3D running, and select Processes / prepar3d / Set Affinity and reselect "all cores".  Somehow, something is reset when you do this.. try it, as a test.

Bloxboy,

Try the above...for some reason it works. I notice a marked improvement, and it also helps smooth out trackIR panning for me.

Kind Regards,

Steven_Miller.png?dl=1

i7-6700k Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5 32GB DDR4 2666 EVGA FTW ULTRA RTX3080 12GB

Whoa there, SteveW.

Seems you saw way more into my response than I intended.  I was not attempting to say anything other than using Windows Task Manager to set a multi-threaded/multi-core process's core affinity blows away/dismisses/overrides (pick the one that best makes sense) the program's threading execution dynamics that the developers purposefully put it. Sorry if that rocked you boat.

Rod O.

i7 10700k @5.0 HT on|Asus Maximus XII Hero|G.Skill 2x16GB DDR4 4000 cas 16|evga RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 Ultra|Noctua NH-D15S|Thermaltake GF1 850W PSU|WD Black SN750 M.2 1TB SSD (x2)|Plextor M9Pe .5TB NVMe PCIe x4 SSD (MSFS dedicated)IFractal Design Focus G Case

Win 10 Pro 64|HP Reverb G2 revised VR HMD|Asus 25" IPS 2K 60Hz monitor|Saitek X52 Pro & Peddles|TIR 5 (now retired)

17 minutes ago, TheFamilyMan said:

Whoa there, SteveW.

Seems you saw way more into my response than I intended.  I was not attempting to say anything other than using Windows Task Manager to set a multi-threaded/multi-core process's core affinity blows away/dismisses/overrides (pick the one that best makes sense) the program's threading execution dynamics that the developers purposefully put it. Sorry if that rocked you boat.

Not a problem.

1 hour ago, somiller said:

Bloxboy,

Try the above...for some reason it works. I notice a marked improvement, and it also helps smooth out trackIR panning for me.

Kind Regards,

Yes, can work depending on setup and system. It's called expanded affinity. This is how FSX works, for P3D you need to do it manually or use an app like Ideal Flight to automate it.

Edited by SteveW