Sign in to follow this  
itsjase

PBR Night Reflections

I've noticed that at night planes with PBR don't seem to be reflecting anything. I've tried setting my dynamic reflections to ultra but no change. Is this a known bug?

With tomatoshade at airports that don't have dynamic lighting, the airplane still reflects light from the "lit" buildings so it doesn't look silly being totally pitch black.

8 minutes ago, itsjase said:

I've noticed that at night planes with PBR don't seem to be reflecting anything. I've tried setting my dynamic reflections to ultra but no change. Is this a known bug?

With tomatoshade at airports that don't have dynamic lighting, the airplane still reflects light from the "lit" buildings so it doesn't look silly being totally pitch black.

What happens if you disable Dynamic Reflections entirely? I am just trying to proof a theory.

Regards,
S.

I can for sure say that at least the PBR updated QW787 nicely reflected the dynamic lights on WSSS from ImagineSim when I tested it. Stupid question: did you as well install the content of P3Dv4.4? PBR only works correctly, if the client AND the content is updated...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

7 minutes ago, AnkH said:

I can for sure say that at least the PBR updated QW787 nicely reflected the dynamic lights on WSSS from ImagineSim when I tested it. Stupid question: did you as well install the content of P3Dv4.4? PBR only works correctly, if the client AND the content is updated...

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant on airports that don't have dynamic lights.

24 minutes ago, simbol said:

What happens if you disable Dynamic Reflections entirely? I am just trying to proof a theory.

Regards,
S.

Makes no difference unfortunately. I know PMDG mentioned there were issues with PBR at night but they didn't really go into detail.

During the day I get live reflections of scenery/clouds/etc from both as expected.

Here's some pics to show what I mean. Tomatoshade (Top) vs PBR (Bottom).

20zcQr1.png

WH0ZXbm.png

What happens, if you move the Airbus to a totally dark ground? Does the Tomatoshade reflection disappear then? Honestly, I do not know how Tomatoshade achieves this, but as the night lighting in sceneries without DL is basically a "fake" lighting by simply using ground textures that give you the impression of night lighting (by alphas or whatever means, no expert on this field, similar to the old way of how logo lights for AI traffic worked), I am not at all surprised that PBR models do not reflect this, as there is not light source that can be reflected...

Greetings, Chris

Intel i5-13600K, 2x16GB 3200MHz CL14 RAM, MSI RTX 4080 Gaming X, Windows 11 Home, MSFS

3 minutes ago, AnkH said:

What happens, if you move the Airbus to a totally dark ground? Does the Tomatoshade reflection disappear then? Honestly, I do not know how Tomatoshade achieves this, but as the night lighting in sceneries without DL is basically a "fake" lighting by simply using ground textures that give you the impression of night lighting (by alphas or whatever means, no expert on this field, similar to the old way of how logo lights for AI traffic worked), I am not at all surprised that PBR models do not reflect this, as there is not light source that can be reflected...

Yeh it dissapears. It's more about reflecting light rather than light sources. Like with PBR during the day it will reflect autogen/scenery/clouds even though they aren't technically light sources, they are still lit indirectly.

A better example would be at WSSS with dynamic lights, do PBR aircraft reflect the dynamically lit ground like the above pic?

Yep, on WSSS, things are reflected similar to what you see in the Tomatoshade picture. Even better, to say, as you get real lighting. It looks phenomenal.

Greetings, Chris

1 hour ago, itsjase said:

Sorry if I wasn't clear, I meant on airports that don't have dynamic lights.

Makes no difference unfortunately. I know PMDG mentioned there were issues with PBR at night but they didn't really go into detail.

During the day I get live reflections of scenery/clouds/etc from both as expected.

PBR (Bottom).

WH0ZXbm.png

This Airport does not have Dynamic Lighting and therefore the object is not being lighten up.

Can you try in another airport where Dynamic Lighting is in use? also be sure to activate it inside your P3D Settings.

Regards,
S.

Edited by simbol

It doesn't do it with dynamic lighting either. It seems like the PBR reflection cubemap isn't rendering any objects at night.

It shouldn't care whether they are lit dynamically or "fake" with textures, if they are visible and not culled based on your dynamic reflection setting, they should be visible in reflections like in the tomatoshade screenshot.

5 minutes ago, John_Tavendale said:

PBR reflections have been disabled by LM. Not sure if they have been enabled for 4.5 or not

Only at night? Cause they work fine during the day.