Sign in to follow this  
Nemo

Permanent Terrain Adjustments - "Terrain Hopping"

I'm not sure how to describe ... It looks like the mesh and/or terrain textures are refreshed every few seconds which gives an illusion that the terrain moves a bit up and down ... When it happens, it is an absolute immersion killer. It happens not everywhere but in some areas it is more prominent. And, it seems to be independent from the settings I choose in the P3D graphics interface. Even at low settings this ugly "terrain hopping" occurs.

I am not sure, but ORBX Regions with an additional airport scenery from another developer and hilly ground seem to be most affected. Two examples: ORBX FTX SAK + Anchorage (Aerosoft) and ORBX FTX NZNI + Wellington (Flightbeam).

Any thoughts?

• Like 1

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

14 minutes ago, Nemo said:

I'm not sure how to describe ... It looks like the mesh and/or terrain textures are refreshed every few seconds which gives an illusion that the terrain moves a bit up and down ... When it happens, it is an absolute immersion killer. It happens not everywhere but in some areas it is more prominent. And, it seems to be independent from the settings I choose in the P3D graphics interface. Even at low settings this ugly "terrain hopping" occurs.

I am not sure, but ORBX Regions with an additional airport scenery from another developer and hilly ground seem to be most affected. Two examples: ORBX FTX SAK + Anchorage (Aerosoft) and ORBX FTX NZNI + Wellington (Flightbeam).

Any thoughts?

What is your cpu?

Matt Wilson

2 minutes ago, mpw8679 said:

What is your cpu?

see my signature

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

I notice this type of thing happening with coastline cliffs in ORBx TrueEarth GB South, and also the Rock in Gibraltar Professional.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

You're probably seeing the LOD switching on the mesh, as you get closer it'll get more detailed, which can be seen as a shift / jump in the terrain. Doubt you can do much about it.

Asus TUF X670E-PLUS | 7800X3D | G.Skill 32GB DDR @ CL30 6000MHz | RTX 4090 Founders Edition (Undervolted) | WD SNX 850X 2TB + 4TB + 4TB

This has been an enemy of mine for ages. As Sethos1988 states, it's caused by LOD switching when approaching a certain point. As the OP says, it's not everywhere prominent. Moreover, I have found it's much more noticeable if you use a high resolution mesh (like Pilot's Ultra) and for obvious reasons in mountain terrain.

It's been a "feature" of Prepar3d as long as I can think back. Obviously, no one from LM seems to be disturbed by it. 

I should add that neither X-Plane nor Aerofly shows this issue. However, the short-lived Dovetail sim - for obvious reasons - shared it, and again, even more if you installed the Pilot's mesh. 

Kind regards, Michael 

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

This means the better the mesh the worse the immersion?  So why do developers strive for 2m or even 1m mesh as recently in NZWN (Flightbeam)? This seems counterproductive to me.

Edited by Nemo

- Harry 

In a sense, yes. On the other hand, high-resolution mesh is impressive in that it shows every ribble or needle in hills.

I am not sure if it's the pure resolution alone. It's well possible clever coders can mask the effect better than others.

Kind regards, Michael

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

I have complained about some years ago:

Unfortunately we haven't found a solution till now.

(And a video I posted in this thread is deleted, sorry)

But yes, I have the similar problem!

• Like 1

Guenter Steiner
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Betatester for: A2A, LORBY, FSR-Pillow Tester
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You can, of course, complain on the LM forum. First answer will be the issue doesn't exist. Next they will ask you for a proof. If you are tenacious you can even bring someone from LM to the statement they will look into it. That's it. 

Kind regards, Michael

Edited by pmb
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Nemo said:

see my signature

My mobile device does not show it.  Anyways have you tried increasing your scenery draw distance in your config?

Matt Wilson

If there is a way to avoid mesh LOD popping -- I would like to know.  LM largely solved autogen popping, so maybe they can do it with mesh as well.

Maybe some code to more gradually shift to a new LOD could be done -- this would of course require more horsepower -- but we have it these days.  Terrain is already a multi threaded process.  Or maybe it could be a function of DX12 / the gpu.  That would be nice.

Rhett

7800X3D ♣ 32 GB G.Skill TridentZ  Gigabyte 4090  Crucial P5 Plus 2TB 

This is, of course, an issue mostly for VFR pilots like me. At FL300 you just don't see terrain hopping.

For those who are eager to enjoy that feature, take off from KSFO towards the West, e.g. in a C172, fly low and slow over the hills and decend into Half Moon Bay in ORBX NCA. You may detect some slight morphing in the hills already, but definitely at the cliffs surrounding Half Moon Bay on approach. 

Kind regards, Michael

Nemo -- just a quick OT question -- why are you running at 3440x1440 rather than 3840x2160?

Gigabyte x670 Aorus Elite AX MB; AMD 7800X3D CPU; Deepcool LT520 AIO Cooler; 64 Gb G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO DDR5 6000; Win11 Pro; P3D V5.4; 1 Samsung 990 2Tb NVMe SSD: 1 Crucial 4Tb MX500 SATA SSD; 1 Samsung 860 1Tb SSD; Gigabyte Aorus Extreme 1080ti 11Gb VRAM; Toshiba 43" LED TV @ 4k; Honeycomb Bravo.