Sign in to follow this  
pmb

Once more: Alternative data sources

I learned from another thread, Flightradar24 will not be possible as a data source for PSXSeecontraffic. However, there is a recent program called LiveTraffic

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/49749-livetraffic/

which acts pretty similar to PSXSeecontraffic in the X-Plane world but is based on free data sources like OpenSky Network. Wouldn't it be possible to provide this as an option within PSXSeeconTraffic as well? I am pretty sure that would raise the number of users considerably.

I have been using LiveTraffic under X-Plane myself since its early beta and I have to say it's working pretty well. Ground traffic has some shortcomings, naturally, but overall it's quite good. And on top: It even provides historic traffic (which I didn't try yet but is an option).

BTW, if memory serves me right, the author of Live Traffic promised to look into integrating RealTraffic as an alternative data source in the future. So it would be nice, to have both options, i.e. freeware and payware data, on our disposal in both sims.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

1 hour ago, pmb said:

It even provides historic traffic (which I didn't try yet but is an option).

Not any longer.

From the Author: "

There once was an option to read historic ADS-B Exchange data. The code is still in, just the settings to access it are removed. (Even the dataRefs to control access are still in, so it could be activated using a DataRef editor.) The conditions, under which one could request historic data files from ADS-B Exchange have changed quite a bit since the code came into being. Nowadays, ADS-B Exchange does not provide historic data just for the fun of flight simulation, but only for scientific purposes. So I can't get historic data any longer and hence have no chance to maintain the functionality.

No other publicly accessible historic data is known."

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

21 minutes ago, ZKOKQ said:

Not any longer.

Thanks for the remark, although sad news.😥 I live in Europe and mostly find time for flying after work, i.e. at night. Where US aiports are busy but most of ours are just empty.

Kind regards, Michael

• Upvote 1

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

5 minutes ago, pmb said:

Thanks for the remark, although sad news.😥 I live in Europe and mostly find time for flying after work, i.e. at night. Where US aiports are busy but most of ours are just empty.

Kind regards, Michael

I live down under, so my timezone fits nicely with morning flights in Europe, but USA is always (mostly) night flying or after curfew. Really miss the historic option in Real Traffic, but can understand it is not possible.

• Like 1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

3 hours ago, pmb said:

I learned from another thread, Flightradar24 will not be possible as a data source for PSXSeecontraffic. However, there is a recent program called LiveTraffic

https://forums.x-plane.org/index.php?/files/file/49749-livetraffic/

which acts pretty similar to PSXSeecontraffic in the X-Plane world but is based on free data sources like OpenSky Network. Wouldn't it be possible to provide this as an option within PSXSeeconTraffic as well? I am pretty sure that would raise the number of users considerably.

I have been using LiveTraffic under X-Plane myself since its early beta and I have to say it's working pretty well. Ground traffic has some shortcomings, naturally, but overall it's quite good. And on top: It even provides historic traffic (which I didn't try yet but is an option).

BTW, if memory serves me right, the author of Live Traffic promised to look into integrating RealTraffic as an alternative data source in the future. So it would be nice, to have both options, i.e. freeware and payware data, on our disposal in both sims.

Kind regards, Michael

Hello Michael,

Yes I was aware of that program.

Unfortunately the data live feed from OpenSky Network differs from the "ForeFlight" based data from RealTraffic. Major differences are the lack of the aircraft type and the registration code. You have to retrieve these afterwards from an airframe database with all the aircraft in the world, with the unique hex id code of the aircrafts transponder. Also missing are the IATA origin and destination codes. Another difference is the altitude which is barometric while RealTraffic uses the altitude in reference to standard atmosphere (1013 hPa) together with a separate local QNH feed. And then there are of course differences in timing and interval lengths.

ADS-B Exchange, the other feed LiveTraffic is using, is not free. You have to provide a feed yourself before you can use the Live feed API. And in the terms of conditions of the OpenSky Network I read: "OpenSky ... grants You a limited, ... bla bla bla, ....,  solely for the purpose of non-profit research, non-profit education, commercial internal testing and evaluation of the data, or for government purposes."   Well, you probably know the saying: "There is no such thing as a free lunch" 🙂

Anyway I'm not going to start work on this. However, maybe other people develop an agent application that talks to PSXseeconTraffic via the published PSXT protocol on the one hand and on the other hand to the OpenSky Network API and master data, and what have you...

Kind Regards,

Nico

Edited by kiek
  • Like 2

Thanks Nico for the comprehensive and plausible reply. So let's just see how things will evolve. Maybe someone will fill the gap and provide a bridge to PSXSeecontraffic.

I am well willing to (and do) pay for flightsim software, but dislike subscriptions like Real Traffic bit by bit stacking up to an amount higher than your monthly income. 

Kind regards, Michael