Sign in to follow this  
SunDevil56

Default ATC

I know the default ATC leaves a lot to be desired, but does anyone ever tire of the drab monotone American sounding accent that you hear no matter what part of the world you are flying in..??

I just thought it might be kind of interesting if the ATC voices could be accented so they would more accurately represent the country or region you are flying in, for example, German sounding voices for Germany, British, Scottish, or Irish for the UK, Spanish for Spanish speaking countries etc. etc.

Maybe it's a longshot, but I just thought it might be nice to have in a future release.

19 minutes ago, SunDevil56 said:

I know the default ATC leaves a lot to be desired, but does anyone ever tire of the drab monotone American sounding accent that you hear no matter what part of the world you are flying in..??

I just thought it might be kind of interesting if the ATC voices could be accented so they would more accurately represent the country or region you are flying in, for example, German sounding voices for Germany, British, Scottish, or Irish for the UK, Spanish for Spanish speaking countries etc. etc.

Maybe it's a longshot, but I just thought it might be nice to have in a future release.

Now that LM publicly admits they also make the product for, in their words from their home news page a few weeks ago, 'serious flight simmers', it would be nice if they listened to the rest of their customer base on this issue.  Now that it's been over THIRTEEN YEARS since ATC was touched by anyone in any meaningful it might be nice to throw a bone to those folks helping to fund P3D and spend a little resources enhancing and improving the default ATC which isn't half bad really, it's just oversimplified, limited, but the voices at least sound real. 

• Upvote 2

Noel

System:  7800x3D, Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut, Noctua NH-U12A, MSI Pro 650-P WiFi, G.SKILL Ripjaws S5 Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) 288-Pin PC RAM DDR5 6000, WD NVMe 2Tb x 1, Sabrent NVMe 2Tb x 1, RTX 4090 FE, Corsair RM1000W PSU, Win11 Home, LG Ultra Curved Gsync Ultimate 3440x1440, Phanteks Enthoo Pro Case, TCA Boeing Edition Yoke & TQ, Cessna Trim Wheel, RTSS Framerate Limiter w/ Edge Sync for near zero Frame Time Variance achieving ultra-fluid animation at lower frame rates.

Aircraft used in A Pilot's Life V2:  PMDG 738, Aerosoft CRJ700, FBW A320nx, WT 787X

1 minute ago, Noel said:

Now that LM publicly admits they also make the product for, in their words from their home news page a few weeks ago, 'serious flight simmers', it would be nice if they listened to the rest of their customer base on this issue.  Now that it's been over THIRTEEN YEARS since ATC was touched by anyone in any meaningful it might be nice to throw a bone to those folks helping to fund P3D and spend a little resources enhancing and improving the default ATC which isn't half bad really, it's just oversimplified, limited, but the voices at least sound real. 

Not sure it would be worth the effort to a developer, but maybe someone could make an add on "voice pack" that would replace the default ATC voices with ones that reflect more accurately what would likely be heard around the world. I would certainly be in for something like that, provided the price was not totally outrageous. For me, it would add to the immersion factor considerably.

Probably a somewhat daunting task, but they wouldn't need to do every single accent that might be heard on ATC around the world, just the major ones, I mean a russian accent would cover a huge area just by itself, and a couple variations of an Asian accent would also cover large areas, and a Spanish accent would cover vast areas as well. Just a thought..

Nice dream, Scott, certainly my dream too. You do realize though that 'someone' is not going to cut the mosterd ,right ? If you want it to resemble the default ATC you'd need atleast 8 different 'someones' from each and every country you'd like to hear the accent of. It would loose all of its charm, i.e. 'the point' , if it all would be done by people from the US or the UK trying to simulate an airtraffic controller from, say, Poland, Germany, the Netherlands, Finland or Spain, etc.

( or you must try and hire Kevin Spacey, he's known for his fantastic impersonations of movie celebrities, he might be out of a job anyway..)

I think if we want to see this dream come true we have to grab the bull by the horns ourselves. Start a 'RATC' project (Realistic ATC) by recruting simmers from each country we want to see involved. They'll have to be willing and able to speak and record the truckload of ATC talk, initially conform the default ATC.

To start it up i'll volunteer to do a dutch controller. 7 more to go... 

Finding a programmer might turn out the easy part here..

Food for thought ??...... (about the RATC i mean..)

Cheers,
Jan

Edited by Javiz

Jan

Just Flight had additional ATC voices waaaay back with FS Traffic 2002.

IIRC, it included 4 British-, 2 German- and 1 US- accented voices. Problem was it still sounded far too synthetic and you would get an American controller in Europe or a German one in Canada.

What we could do with is having 24 (or more) voices to give variety and then tying them to specific geographic locations and to airlines.
Although, thinking about it, it does sound a lot like what the 'Extra Voice Sets' project for ProATC/X did.

• Upvote 1

AMD Ryzen 5800X3D; MSI RTX 3080 Ti VENTUS 3X; 32GB Corsair 3200 MHz; ASUS VG35VQ 35" (3440 x 1440)
Fulcrum One yoke; Thrustmaster TCA Captain Pack Airbus edition; MFG Crosswind rudder pedals; CPFlight MCP 737; Logitech FIP x3; TrackIR

MSFS; Fenix A320; A2A PA-24; HPG H145; PMDG 737-600; AIG; RealTraffic; PSXTraffic; FSiPanel; REX AccuSeason Adv; FSDT GSX Pro; FS2Crew RAAS Pro; FS-ATC Chatter

1 hour ago, SunDevil56 said:

someone could make an add on "voice pack"

'They' have. Pilot2ATC.

Accented voices for PTATC can be found here.

Cheers,

Mark

4 hours ago, F737NG said:

What we could do with is having 24 (or more) voices to give variety and then tying them to specific geographic locations and to airlines....

Exactly what I was thinking... I'm not looking for subtle nuances in ATC voice accents here... Just some variety that would cover most of the major/busiest airport hubs and denser ATC sectors around the world....

I know, that's probably not exactly the easiest task from a developer's point of view, but I agree... I don't think we need 85 or 100+ distinctly different voice "accents" to improve things to a level that would suit most people.

Don't get me wrong, i'm as American as apple pie, but always hearing that monotone American sounding ATC voice in many of the places I like to fly in the UK and mainland Europe etc. just doesn't add a lot to the immersion/realism side of things. But I get it, it's a simulation, not real life, and compromises are just a reality that we have to accept, I was just throwing this out there as something that might add another level of immersion for the future.