Sign in to follow this  
Pete Dowson

Anyone know of a decent Dublin for P3D4?

I have found a workaround that fixes it for me. I posted this on the iniBuilds forum just now...

I have found a workaround that fixes the problem for me. I have FS Global Ultimate installed and disabling the Europe layer fixes the problem of the ground textures. The resolution setting in P3D is immaterial. Even with minimal resolution and the Europe layer enabled the wrong textures show through.

However, that introduces a height problem. Aircraft wheels are almost buried in the ground. LATER: solved that by re-enabling cvx_DUBLIN_GROUND.BGL which I had temporarily disabled.

Hopefully they can find a more permanent fix.

Edited by Ray Proudfoot

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I'm unsure why people are disabling the `cvx_DUBLIN_GROUND.BGL` file which appears to be the root of a lot of issues, there are instructions on the site for a reason which don't even mention the cvx file 😤

But yes, the ground is set at a fixed height meaning that the use of mesh introduces a major effect with the rest of the ground being a metre or two below the ground poly. Do bear in mind, the ground poly is converted from a legacy 'SCASM' format which I was not even familiar with until three months ago where I was endlessly looking for ways to develop a conversion method, which I did for the record but with many, many issues which have been so far ironed out in the current version of this patch.

From my knowledge, Aerosoft is working on a new Dublin for Prepar3D v4.x as well as MK-Studios meaning you won't need to put up with my patch for much longer (hopefully) 😋

Until then, I'll be continuing to improve and progress this patch as I continue to get user feedback and as I proceed to learn. You can do that on the iniBuilds forum or 'Support' button on their main site. Also, keep watch of the download and information page of my patch as we're running a log of issues with solutions at the top of the page as we discover them https://www.inibuilds.com/airport-patches/aerosoft-dublin-patch.

Cheers.

• Like 1

Max, I only disabled cvx_DUBLIN_GROUND.BGL because you said to make sure there were no other GROUND BGLs and that was one. I enabled it after discovering it made aircraft wheels sink into the tarmac.

Really appreciate your efforts in providing this fix. Having to enable or disable the Europe layer in FS Global is not a big issue.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

3 hours ago, xi-max said:

I'm unsure why people are disabling the `cvx_DUBLIN_GROUND.BGL` file which appears to be the root of a lot of issues, there are instructions on the site for a reason which don't even mention the cvx file 😤

But yes, the ground is set at a fixed height meaning that the use of mesh introduces a major effect with the rest of the ground being a metre or two below the ground poly. Do bear in mind, the ground poly is converted from a legacy 'SCASM' format which I was not even familiar with until three months ago where I was endlessly looking for ways to develop a conversion method, which I did for the record but with many, many issues which have been so far ironed out in the current version of this patch.

From my knowledge, Aerosoft is working on a new Dublin for Prepar3D v4.x as well as MK-Studios meaning you won't need to put up with my patch for much longer (hopefully) 😋

Until then, I'll be continuing to improve and progress this patch as I continue to get user feedback and as I proceed to learn. You can do that on the iniBuilds forum or 'Support' button on their main site. Also, keep watch of the download and information page of my patch as we're running a log of issues with solutions at the top of the page as we discover them https://www.inibuilds.com/airport-patches/aerosoft-dublin-patch.

Cheers.

People found that workaround a while back after learning that AS Dublin didn't quite work right in v4.   Disabling that cvx file got rid of the issue the ground textures were causing.  You lose the ground textures for the airport but we could actually use the airport in v4.   

I guess we forgot to re-enable it before applying your fix.    

As many of us who have changed files or modded stuff to make things work, remembering what you did a few years ago might make or break a fix later down the road.   But hard to keep track all the little tweaks.  lol.  

Jason Weaver - WestWind Airlines; FlyUK Airlines; VirtualUnited.org

5.jpg

Banner_MJC12.png

I had to disable the cvx_DUBLIN_GROUND.bgl file in P3D v3 to solve elevation issues with PlayHorizon VFR Photographic Scenery Volume 9.

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

4 hours ago, jason99vmi said:

People found that workaround a while back after learning that AS Dublin didn't quite work right in v4.   Disabling that cvx file got rid of the issue the ground textures were causing.  You lose the ground textures for the airport but we could actually use the airport in v4.   

I guess we forgot to re-enable it before applying your fix.    

As many of us who have changed files or modded stuff to make things work, remembering what you did a few years ago might make or break a fix later down the road.   But hard to keep track all the little tweaks.  lol.  

2 hours ago, Christopher Low said:

I had to disable the cvx_DUBLIN_GROUND.bgl file in P3D v3 to solve elevation issues with PlayHorizon VFR Photographic Scenery Volume 9.

Ahh. I was getting frustrated as I thought people were blindly following instructions and then opening support tickets. Thanks for feeding me with a bit of understanding 😂

Edited by xi-max

Enjoyed a short hop into Dublin from Manchester this afternoon. Flew the return too. No problems at all. First time in over a year. 😁

One of the posters on the iniForums topic is going to write to FS Global author to try and identify the BGL that needs disabling for the EIDW area.

• Like 1

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I've identified the FS Global mesh file that needs disabling to allow the new ground textures to show through.

If you have FS Global Ultimate locate FSGUX\EUR\Scenery and disable N53W007.BGL. The Europe layer can then remain enabled. 👍

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather

On 4/4/2019 at 5:17 PM, Rafal said:

As for Helsinki and the Baltic States, there are good options already available:
- EFHK from A-Flight (Aerosoft) is not P3Dv4 native but works fine in it and still looks great
- EVRA from Justsim is very nice
- there is a nice EETN from Drzewiecki Design

I do have those, but they won't install because they want FSX or possibly P3D2. I am sure there must be a simple fiddle to get around that -- is it just a folder with a dummy FSX.EXE in it, or is it a Registry install entry with a folder defined? Or is it more complicated?

I could experiment, I could even install FSX on this new PC, but I'd much rather take a shortcut if possible. :-)

Pete

Win10: 22H2 19045.2728
CPU: 9900KS at 5.5GHz
Memory: 32Gb at 3800 MHz.
GPU:  RTX 24Gb Titan
2 x 2160p projectors at 25Hz onto 200 FOV curved screen

1 hour ago, Pete Dowson said:

I do have those, but they won't install because they want FSX or possibly P3D2. I am sure there must be a simple fiddle to get around that -- is it just a folder with a dummy FSX.EXE in it, or is it a Registry install entry with a folder defined? Or is it more complicated?

I could experiment, I could even install FSX on this new PC, but I'd much rather take a shortcut if possible. :-)

Pete

I use a free Migration Tool (link below if allowed) to make it think P3D4 is P3D2, worked a charm with Helsinki for me but then needed the patch created by Simmershome.de which is a bit of a pain for signing up to before you can download

http://www.migration-tool.co.nf/

2 hours ago, Pete Dowson said:

I could experiment, I could even install FSX on this new PC, but I'd much rather take a shortcut if possible. 🙂

Pete

Select to install Dublin for Prepar3D v2, when it asks for Prepar3D.exe just select your Prepar3D v4 exe. You add it to your scenery library manually.

As Dublin is my local airport, I find it really frustrating that we don't have a P3Dv4 version, almost 2 years later.

Best regards,

Neal McCullough

I have tried the patch....and it almost works. However, my plane (and the AI planes around me) are sunk into the ground about six feet. Now, I use PlayHorizon VFR Photographic Scenery of Ireland, and this includes a 9.6m mesh. I also have a modified version of the AFD file (and therefore do not want to start from scratch with the one included with the patch files). I will have a mess about to see if I can get it to work, but maybe someone can answer me this question......has the airport elevation been changed by this patch?

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

2 minutes ago, Christopher Low said:

I have tried the patch....and it almost works. However, my plane (and the AI planes around me) are sunk into the ground about six feet. Now, I use PlayHorizon VFR Photographic Scenery of Ireland, and this includes a 9.6m mesh. I also have a modified version of the AFD file (and therefore do not want to start from scratch with the one included with the patch files). I will have a mess about to see if I can get it to work, but maybe someone can answer me this question......has the airport elevation been changed by this patch?

It's not compatible with mesh I'm afraid. Mesh compatibility will most like come in version 2 of my patch.

Christopher, have you disabled cvx_DUBLIN_GROUND.bgl ?

I had a similar problem and that BGL does need to be enabled. I didn’t check the airport elevation, sorry

Ray (Cheshire, England).
Cheadle Hulme Weather