Sign in to follow this  
iwebber

The A340 Part 15 - South America

Following on from my previous post (here), I'm about to do the IBE6841, these days operated by a new A350-9 but this route seems to use a mixture of A346 and A350 aircraft.

We leave at 5 to midnight and arrive in Buenos Aires around 7:40am.

Still dark and still have the steps...
uc?id=183KbmV-ifTCWvvhLjyoSz6JSSEN9TGUw

Taking off towards the north initially.
uc?id=1jsiKRKIZZj5ATxEJHurxxrDgjWxa_-49

Looking back at the airport with city in the background as we arc round to head off south.
uc?id=1P9TN_rhzfcPNjnQK2uGxO_bnmnQ-rspt

City receeding away behind us...
uc?id=1BAf2Iz2b0F_fBO_WmyX2NcszWJL1U1RK

Not much to see overnight but there were a number of AI aircraft who stayed with us for much of the journey.

Air Europa A330
uc?id=1QCVr1dxjqQkDUs86ltZ6wxMpMnx0W50P

TAM 767
uc?id=17xw54Uxq9SlZG6UbiipV7rcFDmYGnDJP

Alitalia 777, wonder where he's going...
uc?id=1yqSw5KkOMJsiJOEXSXqa9aN8AJWoY9Ui

Local boys, we must be close now...
uc?id=1-5L6KuYtL4NzxX7-BSJYHYPblPMVyiih

Found South America
uc?id=12VvPcmw91dAWz-rK7N7CBkBQKxHBtzy7

Cruising over a fairly large city (Brasilia?) Answers on a postcard.
uc?id=1TTGRV_WU8gOLbnVSxoflynp7C-3AF5p3

Twilight just starting.
uc?id=1wjHtx_tJEuIGUw8X3n_6S9pAmBvfOqhI

Descending towards Buenos Aires.
uc?id=1pHRwEA-HErhuN2O1yUYm4AM52wdeAy_u

uc?id=180z-KcanfQ4AVaezNTDO-pAmW_B976eX

Ah Ha! That's where they were going, Alitalia on approach a bit in front of us.
uc?id=1wDViAT-KR6TKU9AGmdENdxYcEYzmrpC6

Wing view of our approach
uc?id=1e8VvEIPHdwioILwNKuQZmvuE5eHgS3gJ

Nice view of the TropicalSim SAEZ
uc?id=1tCV5MxtpeIoAIf5z27kXOjnOwr089Zde

Final approach
uc?id=18C0EurRFZlSb7ctIy-m4BjjGYXdNpZgy

Taxiing in
uc?id=1hQdfhgzzcJKK30aMDKnnR4Mi9ralYhxP

Parked up
uc?id=1mkv5c1XBaKsXrul9szcS1ZYVc6M0JWkp

Just as I was about to switch everything off, the sun peaked up over the horizon.
uc?id=1wMdsci2kZHIvp8zzwj8Lrfo55y5mY548

Next flight will be the return leg...

• Like 1

Love the concluding shot.  I visited South America in 1990, when I was sent to work on Margarita Island, Venezuela.  I flew from SFO-JFK-Caracas-Margarita on United and Avensa.  On one of my days off, I flew from Margarita, via Barcelona, then over the Orinoco river which looked like a huge inland sea, on to Canaima and a visit to the Angel Falls region of Venezuela. 

There I had a native river guide, we took a motorized river boat to a smaller set of falls, then had a picnic lunch.  On our way out of Canaima we flew past Angel Falls but that time of year it was only a trickle, although there were other cascades to view....  On the way home I remember seeing a large thunderstorm as we cruised at 10,000 feet in our twin engine prop plane, it looked so beautiful as it towered over us in the distance.  On the way into Barcelona our aircraft ran low on fuel and had to declare an emergency, due to strong winds. 

But we landed safely and continued back to Margarita.  Some friends I made while working in Margarita went with me, they were the ones who talked me into booking a trip of a lifetime which I will always remember on my one and only visit to South America.  On the way home, I stayed over night at a hotel called the Eurobuilding in modern Caracas' city center, although it was sad the poverty I saw out of Caracas airport on my way to downtown Caracas.  On the next day I flew Pan Am my one and only time, on an A310, only one of three such flights I flew on that aircraft make and model, the other two were from Dallas to Puerto Rico in 1997.

John