Sign in to follow this  
fluffyflops

Private Jet Robbed At Lagos Airport

So not a viable alternative airport then.

• Upvote 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

There's risks even at US airports, I have seen many GA airports, like Glendale Muni in AZ where I have flown out of, with their gates unlocked and the aircraft on the tarmac exposed to vandals, though vandalism does not happen often.  Same with uncontrolled airports like Buckeye Muni in Arizona.  Even at night my friend and I were able to walk onto the tarmac at Napa County airport several times, day and night, although we had pilot contacts there and would fly with them.  One night we were questioned by the Sheriff who accepted our being there but reminded us that without a license it was against federal law to be on the tarmac. 

We were waiting for a friend who no showed, he was going to take us up on a night flight.  I was livid with the friend I was with because I found out from the Sheriff he had an outstanding arrest warrant for a minor traffic violation, but the Sheriff let him go on his promise he'd go in and get it taken care of, plus I was his passenger and I had no arrest record so he let my friend go under my supervision.  The Sheriff told us that several GA aircraft had been vandalized at Napa, and that was back in the 80's---sad.

My friend and I then went out to eat after in which I reminded him of his promise to the Sheriff.  Years later, in 2009 when my Mom passed on, my wife and I flew to SFO then took the airport bus to Napa.  We called my friend and he gave us transportation to my Mom's burial, then he took us upvalley for a wine tour so we could unwind from the hard day.  Very good to have a friend for some 32 years, all the way back to high school, 42 years now.  He taught me how to fly Radio controlled gliders, bought and flew one of my own years later.

In 1996 in Arizona we had "weather vandalism" when two mesocyclones merged over Phoenix, becoming a huge rotating mesocyclone.  115 mph winds were recorded at Deer Valley airport, and aircraft were overturned and damaged beyond repair.  Hundreds of millions in home, auto and aircraft damage were recorded, with block brick fences and tile roofs being damaged in the storm.  I had luckily just made it home, after gassing up, five minutes before the winds picked up and the heavy lightning and thunder moved thru.  I watched parts of my neighbors roof tiles get ripped off, our home was the only one on the street spared damage because of two trees between the wind direction and our house.

John

• Like 1

I just hate that attidude that "If I can't have it, you can't either". No-one knows how hard you work for your possessions. 

• Upvote 1

Jude Bradley
Beech Baron: Uh, Tower, verify you want me to taxi in front of the 747?
ATC: Yeah, it's OK. He's not hungry.

X-Plane 11 X-Plane 12 and MSFS2020  🙂

System specs: Windows 11  Pro 64-bit, Ubuntu Linux 20.04 i9-9900KF  Gigabyte Z390 RTX-3070-Ti , 32GB RAM  1X 2TB M2 for X-Plane 12,  1x256GB SSD for OS. 1TB drive MSFS2020

I am having a hard time with this one.  Thieves knew exactly where the aircraft would be placed on hold for traffic so a couple of thieves could jump out of bushes, open the cargo hold and steal a bag.  They also would have had to have some intimate detail of how the cargo door is opened/closed.  I would think that if the pilot was monitoring the aircraft doors, he/she would have detected the theft.

I could maybe understand an aircraft being ransacked while sitting in a taxi area in the middle of the night with little or no security.  But during the taxi?  The news article also indicates a 737's cargo hold was forced opened by thieves during taxi in 2018.  It is that easy to open a cargo hold of a 737 during taxi?  Something does not add up here.

• Like 2

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

We have to lock EVERYTHING up in 2 destinations, lagos and havanna. Otherwise the cleaners will have it. 

I mean everything.  Even the atlas boxes with dry stores (sugar sachets, tea bags, coffee sachets, stirring sticks, the lot) we had it before the cleaners have nicked the lot and the outbound crew have not been able to do tea or coffee on the way back. 

We've even had it in Havana once  where one of  flight crew have left the ipad in the side compartment while the cleaners are hoovering in the flightdeck,  pilot nips out to the lav, comes back and the ipad was gone, the cleaner strugged thier arms. 

It put a 2 hour delay on the outbound sector out of havanna while the cops where called out, every one played dumb and it was never ever found.  

Now Lagos... Id could give you 20 stories about Lagos from animals smuggled on board to babies put in overhead lockers by parents, to pax sneaking into Upper when the lights are Down.

I don't miss much from my cabin crew days, but lagos was and still is mental, I used to love lagos trips 

Edited by tooting
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

14ppkc-6.png

I can certainly understand the thefts while an aircraft is unattended or nearly unattended but this story is about an aircraft just landing or taxiing and being told to hold short and someone jumps out of the bushes, opens the cargo door and steals the luggage, all without anyone knowing about it until it is too late.  Stealing from a locked or sealed cargo doors of a 737 while taxiing is hard for me to believe too.  Yet, I know the resourcefulness of many thieves around the world as I have traveled the world several times.  Once, in Naples, a US Army Colonel stopped in front of a hotel to check out whether they had vacancies.  While he and his family were inside (I was told no longer than two minutes), the thieves attacked and, when they came back out, all four tires were gone as well as all of their luggage in the trunk.  This happened in daylight...

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

To be fair, this happens at many airports, there have been numerous incidents of ramp staff being alone in the hold and using the opportunity to dip into bags. Last week at Manchester, we reported that there was a ULD out on the remote stands which had a stash of stuff in it. Someone had evidently been taking stuff and stashing it there, presumably so that if it got reported, the person doing it would not be found in possession of the stuff and could then go back later and recover their booty. A few weeks ago, we had someone who said their purse had been dipped into whilst it was in the Ops room too, so this is quite likely to be one of our own employees although it is just possible it could have been someone sneaking in there who is not an employee of our company.

This sort of thing is exactly why we photograph and log any bags coming down the conveyor which are found to be opened; it is almost always a case of a bag simply having bust a zip or fastener from having been over-filled and coming open as a result of this, but we are always careful to log such incidents. I very often find that money or other objects drop out of side pockets of bags when they are on trailers or chucked onto the carousel, and it doesn't matter if it is a five cent coin, a baby's dummy or something of value, personally, I always make sure someone sees it and is witness to me either chucking it on the belt or returning it to the bag it came from if it is possible to identify which bag it came from, or if it is valuable, passing it on to the airline's desk. We always send someone else up in the rear cargo hold to check the rear-most section behind the nets for this reason too, as well as for security purposes.

Some years ago, before I was working there, apparently our company had an employee with two lockers, one of which they had their stash of stuff they'd nicked from bags. They'd been able to get away with this for a while because nobody knew they had two lockers and the one their stash was in was thought to be unused with no key available for it, but when the truth was eventually discovered, it was opened up and found to be full of cameras, and all kinds of stuff like that. We've had someone in our crew room take stuff from somebody's work bag too apparently, but we never found out who that was.

There are certain flight arrivals which always attract attention and certain ones which almost always end up with the bags getting scanned too, most notably for us, the TC A321 which comes from Banjul in the Gambia.

• Like 1

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

And stories of tsa or baggage handlers stealing your stuff in every American airport. Calling out one country or type of person is not fair.

• Like 3

It has to be said that some countries no doubt have more a propensity for such activities due to economic and social reasons. However, thanks to the human race being what it is, we have scum everywhere...

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

18 hours ago, Jim Young said:

all four tires were gone as well as all of their luggage in the trunk.  This happened in daylight...

That happens everyday in London nowadays.

14ppkc-6.png

11 hours ago, Boeing or not going said:

And stories of tsa or baggage handlers stealing your stuff in every American airport. Calling out one country or type of person is not fair.

the sugar sackets at my airline only go missing from lagos and havanna im afraid no where else.  The crew seal the dry stores only in those destinations.

But ive lost count the amount of times the bar moneys been nicked, that happens the world over.

we once had to get rid of 50 gallons of Skydrol ( hydrolic fluid) in Lagos,  the engineer said no problem ill do that for you safely for 500 USD, 

so we paid them 500 bucks.  Bargain.

The guy then carried off the drum with him and the crew saw him pour it over the fence....

he then asked if he could keep the drum that was included in the 500 bucks. Got to love Lagos.  its stories that make us chuckle in ops

Edited by tooting
  • Like 2

14ppkc-6.png

On South African Airways, fellow local passengers have now taken to stealing your carry on luggage items during low light, sleep time.

57 minutes ago, ErichB said:

On South African Airways, fellow local passengers have now taken to stealing your carry on luggage items during low light, sleep time.

:blink: