Sign in to follow this  
HiFlyer

Oculus Rift: I've been doing it wrong?

Silly me. Even though I've been using the Oculus tray tool, I always use Aerofly, or P3d's or X-Planes Internal supersampling, and if a game had no supersampling settings at all... Well, I was stuck.

Now, all this time later, I find setting up supersampling via they tray tool works much better, and suddenly my Oculus is clearer across the board than I've ever seen it.

Maybe this is a "duh" for everyone else, but for me and my 2080ti, leaving the tool at 2.0 for all games, is enough of a wow moment that I'm seriously reconsidering if I need any of the fancy new headsets.

Lack of clarity has been far more annoying to me than screen-door effect, and suddenly things like Project Cars are big eye-openers.

So turn off any-in game supersampling, and try using the tray tool exclusively.

Just a heads-up for anyone that has not tried this yet.

• Upvote 3

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Yikes! No! no no. No SSAA means panels are like the flickering lights on a Christmas tree. P3Dv4.4 incidentally. To be fair, I don't think LM have seriously taken VR on board. Maybe in the future. DCS, on the other hand DO realise the import of VR.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Just tried it again with Tray set to 2.5! Still a no go.

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

Actually, it works fine on P3D version 4 for me. Don't forget to turn off the internal supersampling, and make sure the Oculus asynchronous time warp is set in the tray tool to automatic.

Come to think of it, I would also set Nvidia settings to default just in case you have something funky set up in there.

And also, what are your system specs?

We are all connected..... To each other, biologically...... To the Earth, chemically...... To the rest of the Universe atomically.

Devons rig
Intel Core i5 13600K @ 5.1GHz / G.SKILL Trident Z5 RGB Series Ram 32GB / GIGABYTE GeForce RTX 4070 Ti GAMING OC 12G Graphics Card / Sound Blaster Z / Meta Quest 2 VR Headset / Klipsch® Promedia 2.1 Computer Speakers / ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q ‑ 27" IPS LED Monitor ‑ QHD / 1x Samsung SSD 850 EVO 500GB / 2x Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB /  1x Samsung - 970 EVO Plus 2TB NVMe /  1x Samsung 980 NVMe 1TB / 2 other regular hd's with up to 10 terabyte capacity / Windows 11 Pro 64-bit / Gigabyte Z790 Aorus Elite AX Motherboard LGA 1700 DDR5

Well HiFlyer, that is interesting and a huge duh moment for me as well; I had no idea that needed to be done! Sad news is my Oculus was returned because I could not ever see the gauges clearly. The VR thing is new to a lot of us and having some tip, tricks and good ole fashion guidance is nice. Hopefully more folks will post these tidbits of information so that my duh moments might slow down a hair.  I have been following your post and responses over in ORBX as well; keep posting; lol!

14 minutes ago, cyclone1 said:

Well HiFlyer, that is interesting and a huge duh moment for me as well; I had no idea that needed to be done! Sad news is my Oculus was returned because I could not ever see the gauges clearly. The VR thing is new to a lot of us and having some tip, tricks and good ole fashion guidance is nice. Hopefully more folks will post these tidbits of information so that my duh moments might slow down a hair.  I have been following your post and responses over in ORBX as well; keep posting; lol!

It's not so much something that absolutely needed to be done, but something that brings the best out of the headset if you have a computer that can support 2.0 supersampling.

My feeling is that using these settings with the enhanced resolution of the Oculus s will likely give me pretty much everything I need in a headset.

It may not have the highest resolution of all the new headsets, but I suspect it has enough to do what it needs to do, coupled with the best controllers in the business so far, and the very easy to use and intuitive Oculus software

Providing that the limited interpupillary distance controls work well for me, I'm probably going to end up with an Oculus s.

Devons rig

I am running a 2080ti ASUS along with an i7-4790K, no complaints on system lag just a lack of education on the whole VR setup. As Ron commented earlier things were really good in DCS for me as well. Going into P3D4.4 was sort of a different story, wonder if he may be onto something regarding P3D not being as optimized for this whole VR experience? I noted that P3D V.2 had VR, V.3 skipped VR and now it is back in V.4, on again off again. What I am wishing for is that more improvements will come to V.5 when it arrives. As for my first Oculus I am rather glad I did send it back because of the sensor setup; I have a very limited space to work with for flight simming at the moment as my wife and I travel full time with an RV. 

4 minutes ago, cyclone1 said:

I am running a 2080ti ASUS along with an i7-4790K, no complaints on system lag just a lack of education on the whole VR setup. As Ron commented earlier things were really good in DCS for me as well. Going into P3D4.4 was sort of a different story, wonder if he may be onto something regarding P3D not being as optimized for this whole VR experience? I noted that P3D V.2 had VR, V.3 skipped VR and now it is back in V.4, on again off again. What I am wishing for is that more improvements will come to V.5 when it arrives. As for my first Oculus I am rather glad I did send it back because of the sensor setup; I have a very limited space to work with for flight simming at the moment as my wife and I travel full time with an RV. 

RV travel, or pretty much any sort of regular traveling almost mandates a headset that doesn't require sensors to be tacked all over the place. Once again this points towards the Oculus s or one of the newer ones.

Devons rig

Absolutely agree with you on that, space is premium! I am towing a 45' 5th wheel Toy Hauler with a 14'x8' garage; it is my Man Cave/Flight Deck and loving it!

• Like 1

Thank you for the hint, it really looks much crisper in P3D now. But unfortunately I might now have to consider to buy a new GPU. 

13 hours ago, Labbi85 said:

Thank you for the hint, it really looks much crisper in P3D now. But unfortunately I might now have to consider to buy a new GPU. 

Running at 2.0 is not a requirement or anything. If your card is straining, or you are getting artifacts, try lower settings like 1.5

Devons rig

Intersting. I have mine at 1.5, having only a 1070. But I have never tried turning AA off in P3D. I lowered it to 2xMSAA but perhaps this too is taxing on the hardware.

best  I could do was 1.6 on a 1070 fair weather no aa. RTX 2080 can still be strained at 2.0 but copes most of the time 

Colin hodds

I7 9700K,nvidia 3090 ,ssd ,32gig 3200mhz ram ,win10,prep3d

I have been using the Rift with most all the flight sims for quite some time and would recommend super sampling for P3Dv4 as well. I happen to use the Oculus Debug Tool that comes with the Oculus software. I run an overclocked 1070 and use a Pixel Density of 1.5 - 1.7 also I find actually setting ASW to Disabled works best. So with the included Oculus Debug Tool you launch it and set Pixel Density to say 1.7 and hit return to enter it and then Disable ASW, I leave the tool open and just minimize it. Also a big gain is had by using Single Pass Rendering ie SPR in the P3D drop down VR settings. Also stay away from SSAA and only use MSAA in VR.

Additionally in apps like DCS they have their own super sampling in the VR menu options and I would suggest using that setting and not external settings since DCS does a much better job with VR then the others.

Joe 

• Like 1

Joe (Southern California)

SystemI9-9900KS @5.1Ghz/ Corsair H115i / Gigabyte A-390 Master / EVGA RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Hybrid w 11Gb / Trident 32Gb DDR4-3200 C14 / Evo 970 2Tb M.2 / Samsung 40inch TV 40ku6300 4K w/ Native 30 hz capability  / Corsair AX850 PS / VKB Gunfighter Pro / Virpil MongoosT-50 Throttle / MFG Crosswind Pedals /   LINDA, VoiceAttack, ChasePlane, AIG AI, MCE, FFTF, Pilot2ATC, HP Reverb G2