Sign in to follow this  
G-RFRY

Simmarket dropping Paypal

56 minutes ago, reecemj said:

Apple Pay so you would be paying with your IPhone account? 

Yes, but your Apple account is linked to a credit card or you can't purchase anything. At least, the credit card info is stored by Apple and not the vendor.

3 hours ago, jabloomf1230 said:

Yes, but your Apple account is linked to a credit card or you can't purchase anything. At least, the credit card info is stored by Apple and not the vendor.

Apple does not store the credit card details. After the initial setup and verification a unique number is created and linked to your phone. In many ways it is much more secure than using your credit card.

https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/apple-pay/#in_more_detail

Edited by goates
  • Like 1

https://fl350.net/captains-blog/2019/4/5/simmarket-to-end-paypal-option-april-29th

So, according to this article, with quotes from Miguel,  It's less about "issues" and more about PayPal wanting to know details about his business, as a company might, if they are handling a majority of the financial transactions for said business.  I can understand why ORBX did what they did, Paypal threw a cautionary fit when ORBX's paypal account went from nothing to enormous transactions when they launched their store, and Paypal was holding the funds, and ORBX couldn't make payroll.  This is different though, and I'm not sure I like it.  Paypal for all intents and purposes is a bank, and banks sometimes need to know stuff about large businesses they deal with.

• Like 1

I prefer to directly pay add-on devs, I do not like services like Paypal that retain one's debit or credit card info, too risky in this world of scams and identity theft.   It is much safer to deal directly with the vendor with a point of sale, secure purchase and it is very important not to retain a payment method with a vendor.  I have found (in non simming areas) that too many businesses will start auto debiting an account even if you do not give them permission, because they bury the permission in such fine online print that no one catches it. 

I had a cell phone vendor start double billing me and I blew my top and immediately put a fraud alert on my debit card when they started that game, despite my repeatedly opting out of the auto pay racket.  My mother and father warned me decades ago of such danger, they saw the future coming, and one month my bank account was wiped out by a cell phone provider's fraud, a major one, but fortunately I was able to get the charges backed out upon cancellation and reissuing of my card.

My late brother used to call credit and debit cards "The AntiChrist" because they mark us for potential scammers and scammers are growing worldwide.  I have met (who shall not be mentioned, because it was some years ago) some sim devs that were such scammers, they even put ransomware into their products that disabled them after a year, requiring one to reup in order to use them.  Luckily such devs killed themselves off and likely were incarcerated caught by their local authorities, or just caught up in a criminal racket by other criminals.  As Forrest Gump says, Stupid Is as Stupid Does.

For the past several years my sim purchases have all been smooth sailing, purchases from strong, honest devs who want our hobby to thrive, and all such devs offered paypal or a direct pay option, and I took the latter.

John

I don't know about the US but in the UK now a company holding data on customers accounts must by law protect and secure them, any data breach carries a heave fine that for a small company could be fatal.  

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

12 hours ago, rjfry said:

I don't know about the US but in the UK now a company holding data on customers accounts must by law protect and secure them, any data breach carries a heave fine that for a small company could be fatal.  

Don't you just love all these laws on top of laws that tell others to protect sensitive or classified data or else?  I mean, life and living in it is common sense and it gets me when some have been propagandized to want laws to make someone do something or else.  Maybe people cannot identify customer accounts or credit card information and know it is sensitive information that must not be disclosed to unauthorized persons so they need another law to make it so.  A sad world indeed!

• Like 1

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Indeed it is a sad world Jim. There are scum out there who can and will ride roughshod over any and all private information - they have not one ounce of decency in their DNA, let alone bones.. Unless I've misinterpreted your post (and I probably have!) then we do need such laws.

• Upvote 1

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I was wondering if anyone had read any updates on this (PayPal payment at Simmarket)?

This morning, I logged into SM to see what other payment methods were available (as I don't want to use a CC).

I was able to complete a purchase this morning (April 28th) using PayPal on Simmarket.

Has this issue been resolved between the two companies or just extended?

I am wondering about that it was Skylounge that posted on twitter about it, unless SimMarket have had a change of heart and the possibility of loosing customers. 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

If there are any Brits reading this the worst way you can pay for software is using PayPal and some credit cards. There is a 3% commission added to the purchase for currency conversion.

I have now switched to a credit card that doesn’t charge for foreign money purchases. Recommend by MoneySavingExpert. Get yourself a Halifax Clarity card. Zero commission. I have one just for FS purchases and when I travel overseas. 👍

• Like 2

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

I recall when I was starting out in life credit cards hadn't been invented yet.  Neither had direct deposit.  I was paid in cash and deposited in the bank where I had a checking account to pay bills by mail.  You had no option but to live within your means or go hungry until next payday.  It was pretty good system now that I look back on it.  The only down side was the absence of instant gratification via credit cards.

But now I live in the present and I use PayPal.  I have a PayPal Master Card which they use to pay for my purchases and they mail me a bill each month.  I don't use it for anything else.  More than once I've had a dispute with a vendor and PayPal was quick to resolve the matters for me.

Noel 

The tires are worn.  The shocks are shot.  The steering is wobbly.  But the engine still runs fine.

On 4/28/2019 at 5:00 PM, rmeier said:

I was wondering if anyone had read any updates on this (PayPal payment at Simmarket)?

This morning, I logged into SM to see what other payment methods were available (as I don't want to use a CC).

I was able to complete a purchase this morning (April 28th) using PayPal on Simmarket.

Has this issue been resolved between the two companies or just extended?

It seems like they were able to settle the dispute with PayPal and keep offering the payment-method for checkout. This has been confirmed by flightsim.news which is part of the German flusinews.de outlet: https://www.flightsim.news/2019/05/simmarket-continues-paypal-support/

Frank

Edited by Fox_Kilo
  • Like 1