Sign in to follow this  
Boeing or not going

Simmarket purchase

18 minutes ago, pete_auau said:

yep  than  everyone  that  bought  from  sim market   would  have  the  issue ,  I  check my  pc   as   the  above poster has  suggested  as  some one  has  hacked  into  your  account  I would  changed  all my  passwords  etc  and  get  a key board  that   encrypts  your  key  stokes

And the credit card I use for purchases at other stores not having fraud charges? If you think "all" transactions from their site is a good argument I think you do not know much about this subject and the tactics hackers use for attacking online marketplaces.

Edited by Boeing or not going

8 minutes ago, Boeing or not going said:

And the credit card I use for purchases at other stores not having fraud charges? If you think "all" transactions from their site is a good argument I think you do not know much about this subject and the tactics hackers use for attacking online marketplaces.

well  since  you  said  you have  been hacked  3  times  at  simmarket  would  have  suggested  someone  has  hacked into  your  account, and  not  at  other  venders  quite  obvious  I would  have  thought.   still  would change  my password  etc,  So after  you   had  the  first  fraud transaction    than  you had  another  one  and  than  you  decide  to  try  again I  would  have  stopped  at  the  first  one

Edited by pete_auau

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

5 minutes ago, pete_auau said:

well  since  you  said  you have  been hacked  3  times  at  simmarket  would  have  suggested  someone  has  hacked into  your  account, and  not  at  other  venders  quite  obvious  I would  have  thought.   still  would change  my password  etc,  So after  you   had  the  first  fraud transaction    than  you had  another  one  and  than  you  decide  to  try  again I  would  have  stopped  at  the  first  one

I have changed my password before. I put in one comment I'd like to see a security researcher look at if it is simmarket and a hacker injecting a redirect like some have done to bigger sites like British Airways. I remember you as loving to stir the pot defending some developers like iFly so I do not need to spend more time amusing your speculation and blaming me.

If you suspect that someone has hacked into your SimMarket account, you need to change your password immediately or they can also get your product keys and post them.  If that happens SimMarket will lock your account and you won't be able to get to any of your purchases.

7 hours ago, Boeing or not going said:

I have changed my password before. I put in one comment I'd like to see a security researcher look at if it is simmarket and a hacker injecting a redirect like some have done to bigger sites like British Airways. I remember you as loving to stir the pot defending some developers like iFly so I do not need to spend more time amusing your speculation and blaming me.

Read  the  last  post  by  robert

https://forum.pmdg.com/forum/main-forum/general-discussion-news-and-announcements/8742-possible-pmdg-payment-info-breach

Cant  see  what  ifly  has  got  to  do  with  this  topic  at all

Edited by Jim Young
link to PMDG is dead unless you set up an account there.
  • Upvote 1

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

There was a time in the UK when Shell stopped the use of cards being used to pay for petrol this was  due to cards being cloned by the cashiers at petrol station,s who came from foreign countries and thought it was their birthday, I was charged £400.00 when someone paid their cable bill and my mate was charged £1700.00 for a wedding gown in Brighton bet that took some explaining to his wife

• Like 2

1 hour ago, signmanbob said:

If you suspect that someone has hacked into your SimMarket account, you need to change your password immediately or they can also get your product keys and post them.  If that happens SimMarket will lock your account and you won't be able to get to any of your purchases.

You can get credit card numbers by logging into your account? Tell me more, please.

39 minutes ago, wizzards said:

There was a time in the UK when Shell stopped the use of cards being used to pay for petrol this was  due to cards being cloned by the cashiers at petrol station,s who came from foreign countries and thought it was their birthday, I was charged £400.00 when someone paid their cable bill and my mate was charged £1700.00 for a wedding gown in Brighton bet that took some explaining to his wife

My card has a chip that is more secure than the old magnetic strip. I covered this above.

Bad news then Guys SimMarket are stopping PayPal on the 20th of this month according to a report on SkyLounge TV and twitter 

Raymond Fry.

PMDG_Banner_747_Enthusiast.jpg

This is why I use good old fashioned cash when I can. For on line purchases I use a card with a low limit so I find out quick if it has been compromised.

Vic green

I too have had credit card breach issues from Simmarket, and I know of others who have as well. With them dropping paypal, I'll no longer have any use for them.

i7-13700KF, 32gb DDR4 3200,  RTX 4080, Win 11, MSFS

5 hours ago, Boeing or not going said:

You can get credit card numbers by logging into your account? Tell me more, please.

I believe signmanbob referred to product keys, not credit card numbers. I assume the product key is the code which allows you to activate the product once you have downloaded it. If people had access to your product key and posted it out then the first reaction of the store would surely be to think that you, the original purchaser was handing out keys for free to other users... rather than you re-installing the product to another PC for example.

Or is that not the way a product key works? Either way, I will not be looking to buy anything from sim market - being in the UK I usually use Just Flight and Steam if needs be..

Mark Robinson

Part-time Ferroequinologist

Author of FLIGHT: A near-future short story (ebook available on amazon)

I made the baby cry - A2A Simulations L-049 Constellation

Sky Simulations MD-11 V2.2 Pilot. The best "lite" MD-11 money can buy (well, it's not freeware!)

I wonder if a Simmarket will see a decrease in sales? These days we can purchase directly from the developers so I don't see much more need for SM except for the smaller addons. I've been a loyal SM user with tons purchases since early 2000's. At least I have a copy of all my downloads on a spare drive.

Dan

i9-13900K / Asus Maximus Hero Z790 / RTX 4090 FE / G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5-6400 CL32 / Artic Liquid Freezer II 360 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 980 PRO SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / Samsung 970 EVO Plus SSD 2TB PCIe NVMe M.2 / EVGA 1000W G3, 80+ Gold / Phanteks Eclipse P600S ATX Mid Tower / Arctic P14 PWM Case Fans / LG C2 42 Inch Class 4K OLED TV/Monitor / Windows 11 Pro

I will only use PayPal for these types of purchases so any vendor who drops it, loses (lost) my business. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

13900K@5.8GHz - ROG Strix Z790-E - 2X16Gb G.Skill Trident DDR5 6400 CL32 - MSI RTX 4090 Suprim X - WD SN850X 2 TB M.2 - XPG S70 Blade 2 TB M.2 - MSI A1000G PCIE5 1000 W 80+ Gold PSU - Liam Li 011 Dynamic Razer case - 58" Panasonic TC-58AX800U 4K - Pico 4 VR  HMD - WinWing HOTAS Orion2 MAX - ProFlight Pedals - TrackIR 5 - W11 Pro (Passmark:12574, CPU:63110-Single:4785, GPU:50688)

Simmarket uses a third party processor (Stripe) for payment processing, which means the vendor (Simmarket) doesn't see, much less store or otherwise have the ability to expose your credit card info when you buy on their site.  Stripe is a large, mainstream payment processing outfit...I'm finding it hard to believe that if they were compromised lightning would keep striking in the same place over and over.  There are so many other places that info can be compromised...mailboxes, people taking photos in store checkouts, RF chip readers, keyloggers, RF intercepts of wireless keyboards, etc. 

There are credit cards with a feature such as SaferPay that generates a virtual credit card number on-demand with an adjustable limit and an expiration date of your choosing, so you can generate a virtual CC number, set the limit to the amount of your purchase, and then if the card number is reused elsewhere it'll reject the transaction as over-limit.

Personally, I've always found PayPal to be at least as problematic as any of the other payment services.  PayPal is set up to gouge customers with their lousy below-market exchange rates by setting exchange rate defaults on every foreign currency transaction to use the PayPal currency exchange service, which is significantly more costly than bank rates.  You have to a) be aware of what they're doing and its elevated cost, and b) go out of your way to force a transaction to be made in the target currency using your credit card's exchange mechanism.  I consider it unethical to skim like that, and for that and other reasons I stay away from PayPal unless it's the only/last option.

Regards

• Like 4

Bob Scott | President and CEO, AVSIM Inc
ATP Gulfstream II-III-IV-V

System1 (P3Dv5/v4): i9-13900KS @ 6.0GHz, water 2x360mm, ASUS Z790 Hero, 32GB GSkill 7800MHz CAS36, ASUS RTX4090
Samsung 55" JS8500 4K TV@30Hz,
3x 2TB WD SN850X 1x 4TB Crucial P3 M.2 NVME SSD, EVGA 1600T2 PSU, 1.2Gbps internet
Fiber link to Yamaha RX-V467 Home Theater Receiver, Polk/Klipsch 6" bookshelf speakers, Polk 12" subwoofer, 12.9" iPad Pro
PFC yoke/throttle quad/pedals with custom Hall sensor retrofit, Thermaltake View 71 case, Stream Deck XL button box

Sys2 (MSFS/XPlane): i9-10900K @ 5.1GHz, 32GB 3600/15, nVidia RTX4090FE, Alienware AW3821DW 38" 21:9 GSync, EVGA 1000P2
Thrustmaster TCA Boeing Yoke, TCA Airbus Sidestick, 2x TCA Airbus Throttle quads, PFC Cirrus Pedals, Coolermaster HAF932 case

Portable Sys3 (P3Dv4/FSX/DCS): i9-9900K @ 5.0 Ghz, Noctua NH-D15, 32GB 3200/16, EVGA RTX3090, Dell S2417DG 24" GSync
Corsair RM850x PSU, TM TCA Officer Pack, Saitek combat pedals, TM Warthog HOTAS, Coolermaster HAF XB case